International Dentist Seeks Career Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cathyb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am an International Dentist from India, currently based in Chicago, IL. I am interested in pursuing higher education in Dentistry in the US, but I am thoroughly confused on which path to take. I have a few questions that I am seeking answers to. If anyone of you experts could kindly guide me in choosing the right direction, I would be deeply grateful

1. Is it true that without doing DDS, you can have license to practice in the states if international students do certificate or post graduation programs ..e.g. MS in Perio & MS in Endo

If yes...then what are the ways of improving your resume so that you stand out ?

2. Is DDS better or Post Graduation programs better? Which one is more cost effective?

3. What are the career opportunities after you do post grad programs?

4 . Are International students given license to practice with the post grad degree and without the DDS degree?

5. Mainly I would like to know what are the ways of improving your resume Apart from having research publication,good TOEFL score,many volunteer activities...

6.Any short cut method for international dentists to enter into residency programs..??

7. Can low GPA scorers like 3.1, expect a call from residency programs or DDS programs??

8. What needs to be highlighted in the resume for a fresh graduate to stand out for both Residency and DDS programs?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I am really lost and in desperate need of some expert guidance.

Regards
Cathy

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi I am a dentist from India with a masters degree (MDS) in Endodontics. My scores however haven't been great in either BDS or MDS. I scored an aggregate of 55.75 in BDS and 60 in MDS (minimum pass marks being 50 in both). I passed both BDS & MDS without any attempts.I have one year experience as a consultant endodontist since my PG got over and have been a senior lecturer since March 2015. I also have done a 2 week certificate course in current concepts in american dentistry from NYU, New York. I am not sure about the GPA scenario and I have a feeling based on my marks my GPA won't be good. I think it will somewhere around 2 for BDS & 2.3 for MDS. I am planning on taking NBDE part I in 3 months but is it really worth it or is my GPA going to ruin my chances of getting accepted into any dental school there? I took TOEFL in March 2014 and score 102 in it.

Please let me know your views on this. I would appreciate any and every advice I get from you guys. Thanks a lot!