International EM Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

richnathan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting an EM residency this July, and have heard from a number of sources that it's a good idea to carve out a niche for yourself in EM. I am very interested in global health, and I've been checking out a few International EM fellowship programs. The eventual goal would be to work for an NGO or government agency. Anyone have any experience with these fellowships or thoughts on whether it's worth the extra two years?

Members don't see this ad.

The only person who can say whether or not the fellowship is worth it is you. If your goal is to work as a clinician with Doctors Without Borders, then you won't need the fellowship. If you want to do academics or administration in developing nations, then you might need the fellowship.

I am very interested in global health, and I've been checking out a few International EM fellowship programs. The eventual goal would be to work for an NGO or government agency. Anyone have any experience with these fellowships or thoughts on whether it's worth the extra two years?

I have the same interest but have heard from a few people that these fellowships are just wastes of time and you dont really get much out of them while you take a big paycut during those years. I dunno how true that is.