international experience question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after hanging around the forums for a bit, it's my understanding that adcoms do not look favorable upon medical mission trips. My question is how are extended trips (~5-7 months) viewed? What if the trip is research-related - would that be viewed unfavorably? Would it be equivalent or lesser than research performed in the US?

I'm looking to fill some of my gap-years time by doing something interesting that will also help add spice to my application (top schools, I'm looking at you!). If this is something that would not help and could possibly hurt my chances, I have many other options I am still considering....so, any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about long trips but it seems that Adcoms like to see extended focus in your own backyard. What and where are you going to do on this medical mission trip? Could the same thing be done in Appalachia or other areas right here in the U.S.?

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify, it wouldn't really be a mission trip. It would really be me just doing an abroad internship in research/clinical experience. I would be living independently in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing work overseas: interesting.
Being a voluntourist: not interesting.

As long as you've got the cookie cutter premed experiences in the US, I'd view a half year gig overseas as a net positive.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if I can get a paying position...would that automatically categorize it as "volunteering"? What if it was partially covered by a grant?

I will have all the other cookie-cutter ECs except research. So, would this be comparable to as if I was doing research in the US?

If you can back it up with a LOR from a PI, I'll take as research experience. If it's visiting Ethiopia to look for new Homo fossils, I'd count that as research as well.

So after hanging around the forums for a bit, it's my understanding that adcoms do not look favorable upon medical mission trips. My question is how are extended trips (~5-7 months) viewed? What if the trip is research-related - would that be viewed unfavorably? Would it be equivalent or lesser than research performed in the US?

I'm looking to fill some of my gap-years time by doing something interesting that will also help add spice to my application (top schools, I'm looking at you!). If this is something that would not help and could possibly hurt my chances, I have many other options I am still considering....so, any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Very helpful, thanks all!