International Medicine and Med-Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrFutureDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for two new threads on my first day here. I am interested in med-peds. I am also interested in international medicine. I recently took a 9 month LOA to do medical mission work in West Africa and two months in Venezuela. I hope this will be viewed positively when I apply. In any case I would like to continue doing international medicine for some time each year after I finish residency. Will other countries view med-peds training as inadequate training since it is only 2 years of peds and 2 years of IM rather than 3 of each?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for two new threads on my first day here. I am interested in med-peds. I am also interested in international medicine. I recently took a 9 month LOA to do medical mission work in West Africa and two months in Venezuela. I hope this will be viewed positively when I apply. In any case I would like to continue doing international medicine for some time each year after I finish residency. Will other countries view med-peds training as inadequate training since it is only 2 years of peds and 2 years of IM rather than 3 of each?

Obviously every country could be different and it may even be different in different parts of a country. I have worked in several East African countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Zambia) and more recently in Uganda and Camaroon without a problem. For the most part they were not concerned about specialty training so much as medical training. Depending on the need they may just want to make sure you are a doctor. If you are and you are willing to help they are generally happy to let you.

Last edited: