International MPH @ UQ, Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantbeatacorona

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American currently residing in Australia with my Aussie boyfriend on a one year student-work visa, which expires in two months. I was going to apply to medical school, but have had a change of mind -- during the last eight months I've spent studying for the MCAT here in Australia through an online Kaplan course-- which has lead me to the MPH degree. I'm currently terrified and skeptical about going to medical school, even though I've spent the last five years after undergrad taking pre-reqs. MPH just seemed to fit right in the middle of sacrifice and completely giving up, and I just felt excited about the lecture topics and job description.

The University of Queensland had a good medical school program with Ochsner but a $65,000 bill attached, so I've been looking into the MPH program there. Since I haven't taken the MCAT or GRE -- I understand that UQ doesn't require any entrance exams-- I've already applied to both programs. Since I would ideally like to work internationally when I graduate, possibly in the US, I'm looking into the Masters of International Public Health or Masters of Epidemiology. The IMPH is of priority to me. I understand that to work in public health for the CDC, you would have to have at least a year of experience... which you can do in the US, after graduating. -- Does anyone have a better explanation/understanding of how the job opportunity works after graduation from UQ? -- I wonder if the competition for an internship in the US would be strong, when compared to an applicant with an accredited education. The CDC states "accredited" school on their website, but they also say on the description for the "Epidemiologist" job that if you can prove that the school is similar to any accredited school, it is okay. One of the requirements for accreditation is a PhD program. Does the UQ have that? No real info about that on their websites.

I've been doing my research to see what jobs are available, other than the CDC and US state government jobs as a MPH graduate. Can anyone provide feedback on that? I'm going to make a call to the CDC and government agencies to get the exact info on that, just in case I'm interested upon graduation. I have no background in public health to really answer those questions. My background out of my undergraduate degree in Exercise Science has been clinical research for a teaching hospital and pharmaceutical companies.

Members don't see this ad.

I am just curious what you decided to do? Did you obtain your MPH in Australia or stateside?