PhD/PsyD International PhD prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pookie88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this thread. I was led here from a UK site that's similar. I am hoping for some guidance. I have looked through the threads and I'm having difficulty finding the right answers.

I am a UK resident looking to do a PhD in clinical psychology in Massachusetts's or in NY.

Any one know any good programs/schools that would possibly also offer funding.

I am grateful.for any help offered. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Specific in what way?

If location "specific" is what you are referring to, it is because my fiance lives in NY at the moment and therefore it would.make sense to be closer but I am open to living slightly further as he's open to moving to the city that I am able to complete my PhD in.

Members don't see this ad :)
If PhD specific. Then its because I love both the clinical and research element that a PhD offers and it looks like the American PhD offers more experience and a variety of topics that aren't covered on a UK doctorate. Plus MA and NY is all I know as those are the places I have stayed in the longest.

Not intending to be snarky, but a cursory search on Google will provide many lists of clinical psychology programs in Massachusetts and/or New York. A follow up site specific search will allow you to see if these programs offer funding.
That would probably be a better starting point for you than asking a forum broadly.

Psyscientist. Thanks that interesting and good to know. It's a slightly different systent here in the UK. Cheers.

madeincanada. I have done all the searches my dear and therefore there is a reason I decided to come the forum to possibly get answers from those that have attended or been through the system. But thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
The search can be a bit overwhelming! I'd recommend taking a look at this book if you haven't already to look at programs and their funding levels, competitiveness, etc.: http://www.apa.org/pubs/books/4270100.aspx But if you're looking at PhDs, as others have pointed out, research fit with a potential mentor is key. Most clinical psych PhDs in the US are on a mentor model, so you need to think about what sort of research you are interested in, your career goals, and which professor at which institution will help you get there. That's why others mentioned that geographic restrictions can really bite. Luckily you are planning to apply to an area where there are many programs - just be sure there are mentors at those programs that fit what you're looking for. Folks might be able to provide more insight into specific programs if they knew (a) what sort of research you are interested in, (b) what sort of clinical population you desire to work with / theoretical orientation / treatment modality, and (c) what your career goals are.

And a gentle side-note, remarks like 'my dear' to folks trying to help can really turn people off, especially in academia. Something to consider as you move forward in your search. Best of luck to you.

Thanks, this is all great information that I now can use to move forward in this journey.

Many thanks.