International Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medrachel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am beginning medical school in the fall and I am interested in doing research at some point. While domestic research, or research at my own institution, would suffice, I am most interested in trying to obtain an international research position, preferably in Europe. I am interested in gaining a wider perspective of scientific research, specifically in medicine, outside of the U.S. I am also interested in possibly practicing medicine/earning a Ph.D. in Europe and would like to get a feel for living in Europe and what the field of medicine is like there as a career.

I know that there are a plethora of opportunities as an undergrad, but I am having difficulty trying to find opportunities as a medical student. Programs already put in place for this type of exchange would be preferable, but if not then has anyone ever done research abroad while in medical school? What were the logistics? Did you have to seek out a mentor/P.I.? Did you have to find your own funding and through what outlets did you find the funding?

I know this is a slightly rare and unusual desire, but it is something important to me personally and I could really use some advice!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you asked your school about opportunities through them? On the interview trail, several schools I interviewed with had structured ways to participate in research abroad. Good luck and congrats!

Have you asked your school about opportunities through them? On the interview trail, several schools I interviewed with had structured ways to participate in research abroad. Good luck and congrats!
I did ask about this in my interviews but when I said I wanted to do research abroad, many of the automatic responses were doing work in third world countries. While this interests me as well, that was not exactly the answer I was looking for. I will definitely be at the international studies office at my school within the first week, but I still think it is a generally unheard of type of interest. I guess considering the vast opportunity for medical students to do scientific research in the U.S. has not allowed for much curiosity about or desire to do research outside the U.S.

That makes sense. Have you looked into the NIH GPP program? I'm not sure about the length of international research commitment you are looking for, but that could be an option for you down the road? I'm an MD/PhD applicant (starting this fall too!) with domestic research interests, so my knowledge is pretty limited. I hope other, more seasoned, SDNers and your international studies office can help you more!