International Schools - How do you afford the experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheep girl

LSU SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to vet school for the first time. I am out of school (graduated with a BS and MS in Animal Science), and I do not have access to a pre-vet advisor that has experience with students applying to domestic and international accredited schools. I have interviews with the University of Glasgow and Royal Veterinary College next month. But, how do North American students afford to study abroad? With the weak American dollor, how would I afford going to school and living for 4 0r 5 years in the U.K. without working (if accepted)? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

With the weak American dollor, how would I afford going to school and living for 4 0r 5 years in the U.K. without working (if accepted)? :confused:

Lots and lots of loans and the support of family? Is there any possibility you could work while you are abroad? Wont help a ton, but would help you offset at least a small part of the cost. Why are you limiting yourself to international schools instead of looking at schools in the US?

The tuition fee for 2008-2009 at RVC is $35,650. Relatively speaking that isnt that much. Add another 10-15k a year for all your living expenses and you around 50k a year.

I'd feel bad for you, but I am from MA where my instate option is 30k a year and all my out of state options are even higher

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to go to Edinburgh. There is no way in hell I would ever be able to afford it though (so I didn't even bother to apply).

I think its an idea to keep in mind that your living expenses will be cheaper after the first year of living somewhere. You will find where to get all the cheap food and the good produce.

I would suggest lots and lots of bank loans. :laugh:

As a final year vet student at Glasgow I know just how much it can cost, but for me it has all been worth it. I managed to work for the first several years here and made about £50/week which helped considerably with living expenses. I've also worked most summers in Banfield's summer job program which fulfilled some of my school's requirements and also helped with the cost. The rest I have paid with US government loans.
As other posters have said, it really isn't that much more than many American school on a yearly basis (but of course it is an extra year here). I will say that living in Scotland is a lot cheaper (and much nicer) than living in London.
Good luck with your applications.