International Seats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roromush

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm in the process of completing my pre-reqs for Podiatry and I'm a Canadian citizen studying in the US, I'm on track for a GreenCard but the process could take some time, which means I will have to apply as an international. My question is, are there a limited amount of seats for International students like the M.D program? I think due to funding most place only have 2-5 seats for international students (usually guys with near perfects scores). I know here in Texas its almost impossible to get into med school if your not a resident and citizen. A huge amount of dentistry schools also don't want international students.

Is this also the case for Pod schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll get in somewhere, but unfortunately for us Texans nowhere close to here. NYCPM comes to mind. I'm always reading about them accepting foreigners (but like legit foreigners, not Canadians...you know what I mean) and they seem to have a lot of information for international applicants on their website:
http://www.nycpm.edu/admission.asp

Also, maybe check this thread out:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-international-students-guide-to-podiatry.1066792/

And if you dig a bit deeper on these forums I'm sure you can find all the info you'll want or need.

I'm I considered international but I've lived in the US since 4th grade and I've gotten 3 interviews. Waiting to hear back still

Members don't see this ad :)
Your citizenship won't be a problem. The only school that doesn't accept Canadians is DMU. I got interviews everywhere I applied and got into AZPOD. The residency programs are more picky about sponsoring visas but hopefully that won't be a problem for you if you have a green card by then! Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apply to the schools with large class sizes. They seem to be more receptive toward Canadians. I know NYCPM used to have an agreement with our French pod school students to get their rotations done in NY...i'd definitely apply there.
Also, i'm not sure how long it takes to get your citizenship after getting your green card.. but i'd get on that process immediately as well. While having a green card undoubtedly helps, many residency programs also specifically state "Citizenship required/No green card accepted".
Just to add, NYCPM still has that agreement! The French Canadian students were in the clinic when I did my interview. Pretty cool!