International student/ Adjustment of status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futurefamousguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was born in London, so i am a british citizen, but i have lived in Texas since 2001. I completed 5th grade through masters degree here, I am currently in the process of changing my status and gaining permanent residency. My lawyers assure me they are working as rapidly and diligently as they can. I was advised to apply to only private schools since they accept international students. However now that I have paid for the AMCAS and paid for some secondaries, Im starting to get emails saying "thanks but your interest but we only accept US citizens and Permanent residents". I don't get why the system let me get this far and pay all the money before stopping me. Usually AMCAS doesn't let you pick schools that restrict you. Anywayyyy... does anyone know what I can do about this? what are my options? What schools will accept international students who are in the middle of changing status?

Members don't see this ad.

So I was born in London, so i am a british citizen, but i have lived in Texas since 2001. I completed 5th grade through masters degree here, I am currently in the process of changing my status and gaining permanent residency. My lawyers assure me they are working as rapidly and diligently as they can. I was advised to apply to only private schools since they accept international students. However now that I have paid for the AMCAS and paid for some secondaries, Im starting to get emails saying "thanks but your interest but we only accept US citizens and Permanent residents". I don't get why the system let me get this far and pay all the money before stopping me. Usually AMCAS doesn't let you pick schools that restrict you. Anywayyyy... does anyone know what I can do about this? what are my options? What schools will accept international students who are in the middle of changing status?
You can use the search feature in the MSAR to identify the 74 schools that accept applications from non-residents. Find the ones with median scores close to your stats and eliminate the ones that maticulated 1 or none last year.

If you are close to having your status changed to permanent resident, wait and apply as a permanent resident. Your chances will be significantly increased.

AMCAS will allow you to apply with a GPA of 1.0 and MCAT of 3 - you have the responsibility to do the necessary research and apply appropriately.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied with Adjustment of Status and received plenty of secondaries. Only one school said they would send me a secondary after i gain permanent residency (I emailed them before I applied to make sure they will accept an update). However, i applied to private schools almost exclusively and it seems that all of them send secondaries to everyone (i got them the minute I was verified and I'm still waiting for my mcat scores so clearly they haven't even looked at my application and just wanted the money)

Last edited:

From the TMDSAS website (https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/residency.html)

"If you are an international student seeking residency through high school graduation, you must submit a Residency Affidavit stating that you will apply for permanent residency when you are eligible to do so. This form is NOT to be completed by US citizens or US permanent residents."

Further reading on visas which will allow you to establish Texas domicile and residency rules can be found at http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?ObjectID=6D1466D9-AEA5-DE00-C12F3F75E7367718

Perhaps you may be able to obtain in-state status for TMDSAS schools.

Agree with gyngyn and milski. It really is on your end to do the research on the schools that will accept internationals. Although you've already submitted your primary I would still suggest going through the MSAR and also looking at individual school websites to determine where else you can send secondaries or submit your primary to. There is a thread for international students stickied above that should be helpful also.

Good luck!

I know, this really is surprising, but I know many other international students who made the same mistake - and often even paid the secondary fee before they realized the school didn't accept internationals. Neither AMCAS nor the schools themselves will often tell you anything about this.
For more information, and if you don't want to be buying the MSAR, check out my blog (in my signature below) that has all the info you need - I am a successful international applicant myself.