All Branch Topic (ABT) International student and military?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lone Droid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I finished high school (abroad) and have a green card, my desired career is a military doctor right now. I want to apply for college (for next year) and then apply for the hpsp for med school, but I am not sure I will be a US citizen by then and HPSP is only for US citizens. I know you should apply for the scholarship around junior year but most likely I will be a citizen only in senior year in college.

So my question is, can I apply for the hpsp as a permanent resident (knowing I will become a citizen before medical school) ? Also, I am thinking maybe I should join army before college to get citizenship faster, and see if the military is right for me before i sign my life away? Can I join for two years, will it give me any scholarship for undergraduate?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I finished high school (abroad) and have a green card, my desired career is a military doctor right now. I want to apply for college (for next year) and then apply for the hpsp for med school, but I am not sure I will be a US citizen by then and HPSP is only for US citizens. I know you should apply for the scholarship around junior year but most likely I will be a citizen only in senior year in college.

You can apply during your senior year or even after you have started medical school.

So my question is, can I apply for the hpsp as a permanent resident (knowing I will become a citizen before medical school) ?

No. You must be a citizen to apply.

Also, I am thinking maybe I should join army before college to get citizenship faster, and see if the military is right for me before i sign my life away? Can I join for two years, will it give me any scholarship for undergraduate?

Bad idea/plan. You will have to sign for 8 years. I believe you will have to do a minimum of three on active duty but ask a recruiter to be sure.

Ultimately, you want to be a physician, do well in undergrad, knock out the pre-reqs for medical school, and see how you feel about the military 3 1/2 - four years from now. Hell, by that time you could be married with kids and want to start a thriving business as an accountant.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your reply.
I read a lot about hpsp on this forum, people said it is competitive and that you must apply as early as possible, will i still have a chance if I will apply senior year/at medical school? Will it cover 4 years of tuition?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your reply.
I read a lot about hpsp on this forum, people said it is competitive and that you must apply as early as possible, will i still have a chance if I will apply senior year/at medical school? Will it cover 4 years of tuition?
Thanks.

Yes and yes.

You are still young, one step at a time. Focus on doing well in college and explore around. Due to your citizenship status you are almost certainly going to have to go the non-traditional route of getting into medical school. Naturalization takes time and the Department of Homeland Security and USCIS do not operate on anyone's individual schedule and wants. That and medical school admissions in the US is very unfavorable to non-citizens so just keep your options open.

Yes and yes.

You are still young, one step at a time. Focus on doing well in college and explore around. Due to your citizenship status you are almost certainly going to have to go the non-traditional route of getting into medical school. Naturalization takes time and the Department of Homeland Security and USCIS do not operate on anyone's individual schedule and wants. That and medical school admissions in the US is very unfavorable to non-citizens so just keep your options open.

what do you mean by saying unfavorable to non-citizens ? I am a permanent resident (just lived abroad)...

what do you mean by saying unfavorable to non-citizens ? I am a permanent resident (just lived abroad)...

Exactly what I mean. Unless you are the foremost mind in our generation being a non-citizen is detrimental to your application to American medical schools. Or maybe I'm just thinking of international students...feel free to correct me I'm actually not 100% on this.

You're mistaken. Green card is fine except for in the .mil. If it still exists, the MAVNI program is an accelerated route to citizenship for an MD with a green card.

His main disadvantage is the lack of a state residence for instate prefer end and tuition. OP, move to Texas.

And correct me if I'm wrong, graduation from a non-US medical school will require you to graduate and obtain your ECFMG cert prior to putting your packet together. And I think you need to complete residency too. BC is optional at that point but best to have that.

You're mistaken. Green card is fine except for in the .mil. If it still exists, the MAVNI program is an accelerated route to citizenship for an MD with a green card.

His main disadvantage is the lack of a state residence for instate prefer end and tuition. OP, move to Texas.

Oops, my bad. Yea was definitely thinking of international students.