International Student( Black) 3.8 gpa. low mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Favour517

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just got my mcat score back. high 490's. It was the same last time except i went down two points overall. I have average EC's. Im not applying to D.O because i think i actually need to shadow one. I had like two weeks to study, so maybe i could have done better? or i just have a hard time with standardized exams? I do really well in school though. So what are my chances this cycle? Please dont be mean. im really sensitive today.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately your chances are not great. At first I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt but you mentioned you write it twice and the 2nd time it went down. Having even one grade in the 490s is poor.

A 3.8 is quite strong but your MCAT raises more flags than minesweeper on hard difficulty. I would consider shadowing a DO and apply to both MD and DO after writing the MCAT again after at least 1/2 year of preparation (instead of two weeks). If you are however very adamant about applying you should aim for low tier medical schools as your predominant focus.

Best wishes though and hope you're gonna be ok.

~24 MCAT is really rough for an international applicant, almost definitely fatal but maybe an adcom can call time of death on your application. And no, 2 weeks is not enough time to study for the MCAT

Members don't see this ad :)
~24 MCAT is really rough for an international applicant, almost definitely fatal but maybe an adcom can call time of death on your application. And no, 2 weeks is not enough time to study for the MCAT

Exactly this...... do NOT write it a third time after only studying for two weeks. What you've been doing isn't working and the last thing you should do is waste time/money doing something when you need to understand why you did poorly + develop a strategy on improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
well, i took it like a month ago, and i studied for it. Verbal was really though. I had nine minutes to finish two passages. I did good on my sciences. C& P (11). So i just thought i needed more practice. I realized i had to start all over cuz i forgot a lot of things. didnt even study psychology, physics, and physiology, there wasnt enough time. I studied biochem, ( into great detail) instead because my last exam was biochem heavy. I could even draw the citric acid cycle for you now. Turns out my bio section was full of physiology , and hardly any biochem. My chem section was so horrible, and full of physics topics i hadnt even covered in my school. im grateful i got a 10. I took verbal practice passages almost everyday, and i was able to improve from 4-5. I dont really know what my problem is though. its not like i cant understand the passages. Pysch was alright, i could figure some things out based on residual knowledge. I thought i had enough time, but i ended up doing more or less the same. I should have waited. I wasnt being arrogant though, just overestimated my abilities. I think i havent learned the art of taking standardized exams i guess. so maybe i'll take it next April. Thank you

Last edited:
The only two schools where you even have a distant chance are Meharry and Howard.
Even so, you are right at or below their 10th% and Meharry only matriculated 6/270 internationals, Howard: 7/501...
Just howard. Meharry only takes canadians. So you think i should go ahead and turn in my secondaries?

Exactly this...... do NOT write it a third time after only studying for two weeks. What you've been doing isn't working and the last thing you should do is waste time/money doing something when you need to understand why you did poorly + develop a strategy on improvement.
thank you, ill work on it. Im not adamant, I just cant be in the United states without being a student. Im a senior now, so im almost done. This means that i would have to get a master's degree that i really dont want.