International student, EU citizenship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

levski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted to the UCD graduate entry program as an international student, but I hold an EU citizenship.

I am interested in doing a residency in Europe afterwards. Does the EU citizenship give me an edge despite me graduating as an international (non-EU) student?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got accepted to the UCD graduate entry program as an international student, but I hold an EU citizenship.

I am interested in doing a residency in Europe afterwards. Does the EU citizenship give me an edge despite me graduating as an international (non-EU) student?

Thanks for the help!

Yes. If you have EU citizenship you'll be able to apply for residency just like any other EU citizen. So you should be able to apply to Irish residencies or UK residencies etc.

Typically when youre applying to intern year, they rank students based on their class rankings and citizenship, so they place all the top eu students, then the other eu students, then the top non-eu students and then the other non-eu's if there's any spots left... So ya its a huge advantage. You'll be competing with the eu students for intern positions, instead of being given the "left overs" if anything...

Fyi, theres no "residencies" in ireland... They have positions. after intern year you can apply to a scheme (with the intent to eventually become a consultant, surgeon or gp) or a position (typically sho for a few years, then registrar then spr). Many "junior doctors" (doctors who arent consultants/gps/surgeons) have been "junior doctors" for over 10 years. Theres never any guarantee they will ever become a consultant/surgeon/gp.

Members don't see this ad :)
Typically when youre applying to intern year, they rank students based on their class rankings and citizenship, so they place all the top eu students, then the other eu students, then the top non-eu students and then the other non-eu's if there's any spots left... So ya its a huge advantage. You'll be competing with the eu students for intern positions, instead of being given the "left overs" if anything...

Fyi, theres no "residencies" in ireland... They have positions. after intern year you can apply to a scheme (with the intent to eventually become a consultant, surgeon or gp) or a position (typically sho for a few years, then registrar then spr). Many "junior doctors" (doctors who arent consultants/gps/surgeons) have been "junior doctors" for over 10 years. Theres never any guarantee they will ever become a consultant/surgeon/gp.

How does it work after internship year? Do they apply for specialty training in a competitive process? Is there a set training period? In the UK you have 2 foundation years followed by specialty training which is quite similar to residency and then after you graduate you apply for consultancy although to make yourself competitive many people will take time off for a MSc or a MD degree.

Why are you entering as a non-EU student?

Well because I don't fit the criteria for a "EU resident".. I've been living in Canada for the past 4+ years

Well because I don't fit the criteria for a "EU resident".. I've been living in Canada for the past 4+ years
I feel your pain. EU passport but paying out of my nose. what nonsense they have going on with this whole resident/citizen crap

I feel your pain. EU passport but paying out of my nose. what nonsense they have going on with this whole resident/citizen crap

Its not nonsense at all. You didn't pay taxes in Europe so you don't really get the resident benefits. Besides which, in most cases if you actually applied as an EU resident you wouldn't get in because the requirements are much tougher for EU applicants. This is just because there are a limited number of spots due to funding whereas international spots are funding free.

If someone was born in some other country and holds Canadian citizenship but has never paid a dime in taxes, I would be pretty upset if they were able to apply for Canadian medical schools and get government subsidized education on my tax dollar.

Its not nonsense at all. You didn't pay taxes in Europe so you don't really get the resident benefits. Besides which, in most cases if you actually applied as an EU resident you wouldn't get in because the requirements are much tougher for EU applicants. This is just because there are a limited number of spots due to funding whereas international spots are funding free.

If someone was born in some other country and holds Canadian citizenship but has never paid a dime in taxes, I would be pretty upset if they were able to apply for Canadian medical schools and get government subsidized education on my tax dollar.

it actually is nonsense. If you spend your life in the EU, and spend four years, just four years somewhere else for an education, you are categorized as not being from the EU. So you're telling me, that despite my parent/guardian paying taxes, or having paid taxes for the greater part of their lives, I am not eligible because i spent four years outside? that, my friend, is nonsense.

oh, and as far as not getting in, that's quite a bold statement considering an individual may be perfectly capable and eligible to study medicine.

to each their own, i guess.

ah whatever. pay now, suffer later, prosper ultimately.