About the ads

International Student - License

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Licensure and Exams' started by naylin6, Oct 27, 2006.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. naylin6

naylin6 New Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Does anyone know whether an international student (with a Pharm D from a US pharmacy school and have all the requirements) is eligible to practice pharmacy in the United States? Thank you.

This is what I find for NY. So is a pharmacy a dead end for international student?
  2. All4MyDaughter

All4MyDaughter SDN Mommystrator Staff Member Administrator SDN Senior Moderator Lifetime Donor Partner Organization

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN Partner SDN Published Author NCPA Kappa Psi SDN 7+ Year Member

My understanding is that you can be licensed as a pharmacist but you will need to obtain immigration status that allows you to work. If you are on a student visa right now, you won't be able to pursue full-time work until you change your visa. One of my friends successfully switched from an F1 visa to an H1B visa which allows him to work here. Kroger's legal department helped him make the switch.
  3. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    If you want to practice in NY you need to get info from the NY state board of pharmacy.

Yes....you must be able to legally work in this country - same as any other individual working (engineer, housekeeper, teacher, pharmacist...same as any other job).

HOWEVER....you must qualify as a pharmacist in the state you want to work.

I don't know about NY since I'm a CA pharmacist. However, in my state, a foreign graduate must pass a qualifying language examination, must have their education documented by the state board, pass the same tests any pharmacist who practices here must pass....then you're set.

So...contact the NY state board of pharmacy to find out the process. In CA it takes about 12 months to complete.

Good luck!
  4. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    ooops! I misread your post - so sorry!

You are already a US graduate - so just pass your boards, keep your work visa active & you're good to go.

Sorry about the misread!
  5. naylin6

naylin6 New Member

Thank you for replying. Don't worry. I should have made it clear. I am still a high school senior. I am just planning ahead. I contacted NY Board of Pharmacy but they replied that you must be a citizen or US permanent resident. And, I am a little worried. but, seems like that would not be a problem. Thank you again.

the requirement list is from here - http://www.op.nysed.gov/pharmlic.htm
  6. naylin6

naylin6 New Member

Thanks for your reply. a lot of relief for me. :)
  7. intstud

intstud

Since its a international student thread... i would like to make an equiry about PharmD program for international students with BPharm degree. If I am a BPharm degree holder, do I have to go through the pre-pharmacy 2 years course or I can directly enrol into the first year of the 4 years professional PharmD program or even a shorter time period than 4 years?
    Second question, is there any financial aid for international student who enrol to PharmD program?
    Thank you in advance..
    :)