international student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello dear SDN mates, this is another what are my chances post :D

I am Canadian permanent resident and will get international student visa to study in States.

with:
oGPA: 3.799
sGPA: 3.776 (I am confused on calculating this number, do I average BCP with other science GPA? or only BCP?)

DAT: (I wrote Canadian DAT)
RC: 17
CHEM: 19
BIOL: 21
AA:19
TS:20
PAT:23

I applied to following schools:
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine (CASE)
Indiana University School of Dentistry (IND)
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry (LLU)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL)
New York University College of Dentistry (NYU)
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine (NSU)
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)
University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry (UDM)
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry (MIN)
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (PENN)
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT)
University of Southern California Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry (USC)
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (BUF)

I finished 88 credits by end of April 2013, and taking 12 credits during this summer.
And I will be graduating in 2014 April with honours biology degree.
What concerns me is that on their admission website, I should have 90 credit when applying to their schools.
And because I just finished few of my summer classes, I have over 90+ credits now, but because I submitted my transcript in early June,
it will have 88 credits on my submitted transcript. Should I worry about it?
And would it be a good idea to rewrite DAT again in Nov? (since Canadian DAT is offered only twice an year, once in Feb and other in Nov)

Thanks in advance for reading my post!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a pretty good shot at most schools on the list. You might want to reconsider applying to LLU if you are not Seventh-day Adventist because they tend to strongly favor applicants with that particular religious background.

I had much lower GPA than you (little less than 3.5 overall) and got into multiple schools (I am Canadian by the way...). I was invited for interview at UDM, MWU-IL, USC, LLU, BU, and Columbia and got into 3 of them (declined two interviews and waitlisted at one). So, don't worry too much about it! You will be just fine!

Good luck with your application!

So I shouldn't be worrying about having only 88 credits on my transcript :D?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I shouldn't be worrying about having only 88 credits on my transcript :D?

You should be fine, since you say you'll have them done. I suggest you email the schools, explaining the situation. They should be able to get back to you within a couple of days.

Writing the cDAT in November is an idea since you already have one set of scores for the schools the work with. The only reason i say that re-writing may be a decent idea is for some of the more competitive schools on your list, specifically Penn. If you can get that AA to a 20+ it would be nice. You still have a shot since your GPA is pretty good, but I dont know what their DAT cutoffs would be.

Good Luck

You should be fine, since you say you'll have them done. I suggest you email the schools, explaining the situation. They should be able to get back to you within a couple of days.

Good Luck

is 90+ credits standard for all dental schools or just some?

is 90+ credits standard for all dental schools or just some?

Even though I just applied last cycle I can't remember. It ends up translating to have a full course load i believe. That's what the tend to be looking for with that. The school sites should clearly state requirements like those. But honestly, if you had a full courseload for 4 years, you should be covered. Sorry I'm not of more help on this topic.

I finished 88 credits by end of April 2013, and taking 12 credits during this summer.
What concerns me is that on their admission website, I should have 90 credit when applying to their schools.

Can you list which schools' admission websites say to have 90 credits when applying?

Hello dear SDN mates, this is another what are my chances post :D

I am Canadian permanent resident and will get international student visa to study in States.

with:
oGPA: 3.799
sGPA: 3.776 (I am confused on calculating this number, do I average BCP with other science GPA? or only BCP?)

DAT: (I wrote Canadian DAT)
RC: 17
CHEM: 19
BIOL: 21
AA:19
TS:20
PAT:23

I applied to following schools:
Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine (CASE)
Indiana University School of Dentistry (IND)
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry (LLU)
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL)
New York University College of Dentistry (NYU)
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine (NSU)
The Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry, Temple University (TEMP)
University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry (UDM)
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry (MIN)
University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (PENN)
University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine (PITT)
University of Southern California Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry (USC)
University at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine (BUF)

And because I just finished few of my summer classes, I have over 90+ credits now, but because I submitted my transcript in early June,
it will have 88 credits on my submitted transcript. Should I worry about it?
And would it be a good idea to rewrite DAT again in Nov? (since Canadian DAT is offered only twice an year, once in Feb and other in Nov)

Thanks in advance for reading my post!

Take it from me, and write the American DAT. Although you might have to study for an extra section (QR doesn't require nearly as much time dedication as OC), the questions are nowhere near as ambiguous as the Canadian DAT. Plus the American DAT is computerized, which is boatloads better than on paper.