International Students currently enrolled in Pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ANYONE OUT THERE AT ALL??

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I am a first year at the University of Arizona. I am originally from Zimbabwe.

Yes I am a first year at the University of Arizona. I am originally from Zimbabwe.
Hey, so are you on F-1 visa? Are you being able to work as am Intern outside or the school is getting all the hours for u?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still on my F-1 visa and currently work at Walgreens. Different schools have certain protocols when it comes to admitting international students.

I'm still on my F-1 visa and currently work at Walgreens. Different schools have certain protocols when it comes to admitting international students.
Which year are you in? Do you know if Walgreen may sponsor for H1 later on, heard they have crisis areas where they will offer u a position in exchange of the h1

Right now the job market is already saturated with local pharmacists and some of them can't even find jobs so imagine how difficult it would be for F-visa holders. The best advice I have is to basically separate yourself from the local pharmacists by either doing a residency or fellowship. Getting sponsored nowadays is very difficult unless you go to a remote location that is in need of a pharmacist. I'll be be starting my third year of pharmacy school this coming fall 16.

Just becareful by working outside it means you're using CPT which gets deducted from your OPT time thus limiting your ability to do a PGY1 without requiring sponsorship.

Just becareful by working outside it means you're using CPT which gets deducted from your OPT time thus limiting your ability to do a PGY1 without requiring sponsorship.

What's your story there my friend?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No story. Ask your international office. If you use CPT hours, it affects your OPT.
I'm a P1 intern at Walgreen's on CPT. According to my school international office, if you work part-time (less than 20hrs) throughout school year, you should be fine with OPT hours. If you work during summer or full time at any point, then your hours for OPT could be affected (half your time in OPT for every CPT hours or something like that, don't quote me on this one).

lol

Right now the job market is already saturated with local pharmacists and some of them can't even find jobs so imagine how difficult it would be for F-visa holders. The best advice I have is to basically separate yourself from the local pharmacists by either doing a residency or fellowship. Getting sponsored nowadays is very difficult unless you go to a remote location that is in need of a pharmacist. I'll be be starting my third year of pharmacy school this coming fall 16.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Hi there,

I'm in my second year of pharmacy school and I'm trying to find an internship for the summer. I'm Canadian and am currently studying in the States with a F-1 visa. Could you please share how you got a job at Walgreens? Is it through OPT training? Now, I do have a social security number from working on campus so my status is a little complicated...

If you could give me any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I'm in my second year of pharmacy school and I'm trying to find an internship for the summer. I'm Canadian and am currently studying in the States with a F-1 visa. Could you please share how you got a job at Walgreens? Is it through OPT training? Now, I do have a social security number from working on campus so my status is a little complicated...

If you could give me any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Ask your international student office about CPT. You work under CPT during school year, OPT is only for after you graduate. Summer internship would be under CPT also. However, you have to attach your work permit to a class, get signatures from advisor and course instructor, etc. when filling out your form. Having SSN is a plus, not make your situation complicated at all, since you need it to apply for job off campus.

As far as how to get a job go, apply online (I did) or just walk into a pharmacy and ask if they're hiring (my friend did) or ask your classmates if any of their stores were hiring. Both my friend and I are Walgreens interns, others international students in my class work at places like Hy-Vee (grocery store), or hospital. Good luck finding a job.

Did you have to pay for extra tuition credits for the internship?

Hi there,

So to be able to work at Walgreens all you need to do is get approval from your school. You can do this by getting a job description/letter from the pharmacy store manager and submitting the necessary paper work from the school for CPT approval. Once all the paper work has been done you'll be all set and ready to go. Make sure you do not start working before your CPT is approved or you run the risk of losing your F-1 visa status.

Did you have to pay for extra tuition credits for the internship?

In order to gain experience students are given intern licenses by the state board in order to gain practical experience offsite. For international students, they have to go an extra step and get CPT approval from their school in order to start working. I believe there is no additional cost, but every school is different