**International Students' Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Internationall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Idk if I'm allowed to use this title for this thread:biglove: )

For us international students, getting interviews/acceptances is much harder than for regular students.

I thought this thread might help us to compare our stats and good news!

Let's keep the same format as the official one:D

School:
Notification date:
Method of notification:
Canadian/non-Canadian:
AADSAS mail-out date:
Application complete date:
GPA (science, overall)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17):

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll start with the first one :)

School: NOVA
Notification date: 8/28
Method of notification: Email
Canadian/non-Canadian: Non-Canadian
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/22
Application complete date: 8/3
GPA (science, overall): 3.64, 3.74
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/23/26/21/none

Notification date: 8/20
Canadian/non-Canadian: Canadian
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/10
Application complete date: 8/12
GPA (science, overall): 2.76, 2.80
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/18/21/19/none
=REJECTION

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll start with the first one :)

Notification date: 8/28
GPA (science, overall): 3.64, 3.74
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/23/26/21/none

Are you Korean?

I think this thread is very helpful for International/Canadians because we don't tend to get notified first, and when we see states applicants get notified, we get nervous lol...

School: Buffalo
Notification date: 7/19
Application complete date: 7/6
GPA (science, overall): 3.7, 3.7
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): PM me

Notification date: 7/24
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/28
Application complete date: 7/6

School: Indiana
Notification date: 9/5
Application complete date: 7/10

Last edited:
Interview
School: Loma Linda
Notification date: 8/30
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/27
GPA (science, overall): a little bit less than 4.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/none

Rejection: NOVA
Method of notification: mail

School: CASE, NYU, LLU, NOVA
Notification date: 07/18, 08/01, 08/03, 08/22
AADSAS mail-out date: July 13, August 10 (for NOVA)
Application complete date: All stuff in July 27
GPA (science, overall): ~3.6
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/none

Can you guys state, as well, if you were accepted or rejected or still waiting.Thanks :) gl everyone!

Any more people out there wanna add on? Much appreciated!

4th Interview

School: Louisville
Notification date: 9/11
Application complete date: 7/10

Notification date: 7/27
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/13
Application complete date: 7/20
GPA (science, overall): 3.59, 3.54
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/18/20

School: Michigan
Notification date: 9/10
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/13
Application complete date: 8/9
GPA (science, overall): 3.59, 3.54
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/18/20

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump! It's been about a week since anyone has posted... any news from anyone else?

So far I only have 1 interview from NYU. I'm starting to get worried because I see people with similar/worse stats getting interviews from other schools I applied to. I guess it really is harder when you're international.

School: NYU
Notification date: 8/22
Method of notification: e-mail
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/10
Application complete date: 8/10
GPA (science, overall): 3.91, 3.93
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24AA/24TS/25PAT/24RC/nope

when you say notified, do you mean when UDM first appeared on your portal, it says invited for interview? Was UDM on your portal before it read Invited for interview??

when you say notified, do you mean when UDM first appeared on your portal, it says invited for interview? Was UDM on your portal before it read Invited for interview??
Yes. UDM did not appear on my portal until I was invited two weeks ago. I think they first appear/ change their status when they invite you. They told me they don't give any other type of notification so you have to call them when you see the status change.

ive only had one interview, thats been at Loma Linda. Im still waiting on BU, Temple, Penn and UofP. are you a re-applicant?

wow your stats are so high and you're a reapplicant? Was it really competitive at the schools you applied?

sorry nevermind......misread.......i thought you were a reapplicant blackthought, but you're not.

No, I'm not a re-applicant, you?

I haven't even received any form of email from Temple confirming they got my application. Just what is shows in the AADSAS status page.

I have interviews coming up at Minnesota, USC(not sure if I'm actually going to go), Buffalo and Detroit Mercy. But Penn and UofP are the two I'm truly wanting to hear back from. We'll see what happens.

Good Luck
I'm a re applicant. I made the mistake of applying late last year. I think it was mid to end Oct when I submitted the last of the secondary applications. Even with that i was wait listed for Loma Linda last year. I really want Temple or Loma Linda because the amount of clinical exposure is amazing.

I'm a re applicant. I made the mistake of applying late last year. I think it was mid to end Oct when I submitted the last of the secondary applications. Even with that i was wait listed for Loma Linda last year. I really want Temple or Loma Linda because the amount of clinical exposure is amazing.

Yea, sounds tough man. In regards to clinical exposure/experience, I've heard that UDM has a great program. Throw that one in if you want.

Notification date: 10/10
Method of notification: email
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/6
GPA (science, overall): 3.89, 3.91
25 / 25 / 27 / 22 / None

This is the only school i've heard from so far. I guess it really is harder, being an international, and even harder, being a non-Canadian. We are at a significant disadvantage but it's not the first time life has been cruel and unfair. Every morning i wake up and every night i close my eyes, i'd like to think that i know how to handle this by now but i'm only a human and tend to lose my faith at times. With that said, the news from NYUCD was much needed refreshment. Whether accepted or rejected, I will thank NYU for giving me a chance to prove myself regardless my background, before any other school did. Keep the faith my fellas. At the end of the day, talent and hard work can overcome anything.

Congratulations and good luck on your interview!!

25 / 25 / 27 / 22 / None

This is the only school i've heard from so far. I guess it really is harder, being an international, and even harder, being a non-Canadian. We are at a significant disadvantage but it's not the first time life has been cruel and unfair. Every morning i wake up and every night i close my eyes, i'd like to think that i know how to handle this by now but i'm only a human and tend to lose my faith at times. With that said, the news from NYUCD was much needed refreshment. Whether accepted or rejected, I will thank NYU for giving me a chance to prove myself regardless my background, before any other school did. Keep the faith my fellas. At the end of the day, talent and hard work can overcome anything.

If you feel so disadvantaged by the US dental school process, why are you applying? Why don't you just attend dental school in your country of origin?

25 / 25 / 27 / 22 / None

Your stats are amazing. Is there anything you believe is holding you back other than your international status? What schools have you applied to? I think regardless of your citizenship any dental school would consider those stats you listed as extremely competitive. Did you apply broadly?

I'm shocked that you have only heard from one school.

DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 25 / 25 / 27 / 22 / None

I am in the same situation.. I have 4.0 oGPA and sGPA, 21AA 22TS 20 PAT (lower than yours, though) with quite good ECs, research experiences, and dental experiences; but NYU is the only school that I had an interview at so far. Oh, and I am placed under the 'continuing review' category at Buffalo....:(

Well, I applied to 6 schools only which are all competitive (Harvard, Columbia, Penn, NYU, BU, and Buffalo), so that may be why; but I certainly agree with you that being non-canadian international makes life sooooo hard..

Good luck anyway, I got very positive impression during the NYU interview, and I am sure that you will do great:) Just one advice.. if you are Korean or speak Korean, don't go to 'gohackers' page; it is so discouraging lol Everyone there says there is no luck or chance for international students to get in. But I learned that NYU expends the seats to about 360 as they no longer offer 3-yrs international program; I hope there will be more opportunities for international applicants at NYU from this year.

School: in order of interview invitation -> case, nova, UDM, NYU
Notification date: case and nova in earlyAug, UDM in early Sept, NYU mid sept
Method of notification:all emails except UDM (I checked my invitation status on AADSAS portal and called them to confirm)
Canadian/non-Canadian: Canadian citizenship but im also Korean :D
AADSAS mail-out date: 3rd batch
Everything done by end of July
GPA (science, overall): 3.32/3.45
21/23/22/18/none

Still waiting for more interviews!! COMMON ~~ToT!!!

Last edited:
Method of notification:all emails except UDM (I checked my invitation status on AADSAS portal and called them to confirm)
21/23/22/18/none

When are your interviews scheduled for? :rolleyes:

21/23/22/18/none

4 interviews!!! :)
Which school do you go to? I am also from Canada, go to U of T :)
Are you also applying to Canadian schools?

School: Nova
Notification date: 7/31

School: Case
Notification date: 8/02

Notification date: 8/10

School: Buffalo
Notification date: 8/21

School: Minnesota
Notification date: 10/09

Application complete date: Fourth batch complete
GPA (science, overall): 3.7,3.74
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/22/24/21/No

School: NOVA Southeastern, Detroit Mercy, Southern California, Midwestern Illinois
Notification date: NOVA Southeastern, Detroit Mercy, and Southern California in September; Midwestern Illinois in October
AADSAS mail-out date: 11th batch
Application complete date: Mailed on Sep 7, 2012
GPA (science, overall): 3.46/3.44 (Undergrad + Graduate) 4.00/4.00 (Graduate - Thesis based)
23/23/23/21/none

Congratulations and good luck on your interview!!

Thank you :)

If you feel so disadvantaged by the US dental school process, why are you applying? Why don't you just attend dental school in your country of origin?

Actually, this is still one of my options in case I do not get accepted or get offers that I think I deserve. In fact, even a half year ago, I considered moving back. However, the different timelines of school years and the fact that their "DAT-like" exams are administered every winter led me to give a shot at the DAT this past summer. After two months of dedication, I was placed on the 99.8 percentile of the nation and this gave me certain confidence that I could be a valued component of any dental school in the nation and this land is truly where i am meant to be. I still believe in that. I am just acknowledging the harsh reality for the international students, even with stellar performances. Moreover, although I was born and raised in Korea, I attended high school and college in the US. All my close friends, family, and people are here and I've come to love this country for what it has done for me, not to mention that moving between countries is not something that you can easily decide and do, my friend.

Your stats are amazing. Is there anything you believe is holding you back other than your international status? What schools have you applied to? I think regardless of your citizenship any dental school would consider those stats you listed as extremely competitive. Did you apply broadly?

I'm shocked that you have only heard from one school.

Thank you. As in everything that we do, there are things that I wish I could have done more and better, but I firmly believe that I am fully prepared. Otherwise, I would have not applied at all. I offered my service to 8 very competitive schools and I'm still confident that some of them will take this chance to advance their institutions. If they think differently, I will look elsewhere to find someone or some place that would appreciate me. Best of luck to you if you're applying this cycle.

I am in the same situation.. I have 4.0 oGPA and sGPA, 21AA 22TS 20 PAT (lower than yours, though) with quite good ECs, research experiences, and dental experiences; but NYU is the only school that I had an interview at so far. Oh, and I am placed under the 'continuing review' category at Buffalo....:(

Well, I applied to 6 schools only which are all competitive (Harvard, Columbia, Penn, NYU, BU, and Buffalo), so that may be why; but I certainly agree with you that being non-canadian international makes life sooooo hard..

Good luck anyway, I got very positive impression during the NYU interview, and I am sure that you will do great:) Just one advice.. if you are Korean or speak Korean, don't go to 'gohackers' page; it is so discouraging lol Everyone there says there is no luck or chance for international students to get in. But I learned that NYU expends the seats to about 360 as they no longer offer 3-yrs international program; I hope there will be more opportunities for international applicants at NYU from this year.

JLIM, lets not hope or pray. You are certainly talented and hardworking and, if no school likes you, just look elsewhere. Your gifts will stay with you wherever you go and somebody will be wise enough to appreciate who you are and who you've come to be, past whatever the society has created. If nothing works out, I think I can leave this place for good, with no regrets. I hope you can as well.

School: NOVA, Buffalo, NYU, Rosemen, Case Western, Boston
Notification date: August, September
Canadian/non-Canadian: NON-can
AADSAS mail-out date: second week of June
Application complete date: third week of June
GPA (science, overall): 3.4-, 3.5-
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23AA, 22TS