International students pursuing MHA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sothisisme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an international student (Indian) accepted to MHA this fall. Any international students here who are pursuing MHA or are done with it? I have a few queries regarding the job opportunities specific to non US citizens. Anybody here I could speak to? I'd appreciate any help. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

My roommate was an international student (Singapore), got her MHSA from Michigan and now works in consulting. Generally, the big consulting firms are very willing to sponsor a visa. But if you want to work at hospitals, this will be much less likely. Consulting will probably be your best bet but those jobs are pretty competitive.

Hi,

I am an international student (Indian) accepted to MHA this fall. Any international students here who are pursuing MHA or are done with it? I have a few queries regarding the job opportunities specific to non US citizens. Anybody here I could speak to? I'd appreciate any help. Thank you!!

Even i am looking for answers to job opportunities to international students. I have been accepted to Columbia MHA and USC MHA.
I have been hearing mixed reviews related to the job opportunities. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate was an international student (Singapore), got her MHSA from Michigan and now works in consulting. Generally, the big consulting firms are very willing to sponsor a visa. But if you want to work at hospitals, this will be much less likely. Consulting will probably be your best bet but those jobs are pretty competitive.

Thanks for your reply! I have a friend who graduated from Ohio State university and he too suggested consulting. My personal interest lies in working in hospitals though so fingers crossed!

Even i am looking for answers to job opportunities to international students. I have been accepted to Columbia MHA and USC MHA.
I have been hearing mixed reviews related to the job opportunities. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I spoke to a international MHA student and she said that while government institutions did not employ international candidates, finding a job with a private institutions isn't impossible. She said that several companies are willing to sponsor a visa.

I'm just going to take a leap of faith and go ahead with MHA. I figure that if my grades are great and I accumulate good experience, things should fall in place during the job hunt. You have to mold yourself into a candidate who employers cannot say no to, who employers are more than willing to sponsor a visa for.

Thanks for your reply! I have a friend who graduated from Ohio State university and he too suggested consulting. My personal interest lies in working in hospitals though so fingers crossed!

I work at a major hospital in Chicago and I know we don't sponsor visas aside from special cases (e.g. you have tons of experience and we can't find someone else as qualified). There are just so many qualified candidates that it's hard for hospitals to justify paying extra $$ to sponsor a visa when they can find an equally quallified candidate who doesn't need it. I actually know quite a few international students in the health care industry and they all work for private companies.

My roommate works in consulting, but her projects are for hospitals and she is always at the client site during the week (at hospitals around the country). That might be your best best. With the reimbursements getting lower at hospitals, we are already in a budget crunch and it is highly unlikely that you will find a hospital willing to sponsor a visa. In other industries, yes, but not in this one!

Last edited:
Well, I spoke to a international MHA student and she said that while government institutions did not employ international candidates, finding a job with a private institutions isn't impossible. She said that several companies are willing to sponsor a visa.

I'm just going to take a leap of faith and go ahead with MHA. I figure that if my grades are great and I accumulate good experience, things should fall in place during the job hunt. You have to mold yourself into a candidate who employers cannot say no to, who employers are more than willing to sponsor a visa for.

I have my heart set on MHA. I am definitely going for it.

Have you decided on which university you are going to attend?

Reactions: 1 user
I work at a major hospital in Chicago and I know we don't sponsor visas aside from special cases (e.g. you have tons of experience and we can't find someone else as qualified). There are just so many qualified candidates that it's hard for hospitals to justify paying extra $$ to sponsor a visa when they can find an equally quallified candidate who doesn't need it. I actually know quite a few international students in the health care industry and they all work for private companies.

My roommate works in consulting, but her projects are for hospitals and she is always at the client site during the week (at hospitals around the country). That might be your best best. With the reimbursements getting lower at hospitals, we are already in a budget crunch and it is highly unlikely that you will find a hospital willing to sponsor a visa. In other industries, yes, but not in this one!

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. Yea, hospitals not sponsoring visas makes sense. So I guess I'll have to build up my resume such that it will suit consulting jobs. Your room mate's job sounds like a good fit for someone like me.

And what might be the average salary at a consulting job for an MHA graduate right out of college? I know that salaries vary according to which part of the country one is in. I'll be in DC for my studies. I just want to have an idea of how much I would earn to decide if its worth spending all this money on my degree.

Sorry if I'm troubling you with too many questions!!

And what might be the average salary at a consulting job for an MHA graduate right out of college? I know that salaries vary according to which part of the country one is in. I'll be in DC for my studies. I just want to have an idea of how much I would earn to decide if its worth spending all this money on my degree.

Sorry if I'm troubling you with too many questions!!

Sorry, not really sure this is not my career route. I'm sure you could find out through a quick google search though.

Hi ...am from India and have received an admit from USC price and also from USF . I see that this discussion is almost a year old . I am just curious as to whether you guys took the leap . Though I received an admit from USC , I also received a mail clearly stating that finding residency placements for international applicants might be difficult . So now am confused as to whether I should accept USC's offer ...Also am worried about the expenses .

Any views on the dual degree M.H.A/M.P.H program at University of South Florida will also be greatly appreciated .