International Students who have made it to US Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Candav, I really appreciate that!

Yes I looked at that link and was very tense too! That's why I got away from it. haha, will overcome that hurdle when it presents itself, really no point thinking too hard from so long before. Plus I'm sure people like us have got through it too, so there is definitely hope!

When you say you submitted early - That was the June at the end of your Junior year, right?

Thanks man!
Please let us know how things go!

Members don't see this ad.

This stuff is already stressing me out. Definitely looks like the H1B is the way to go for internationals wishing to stay in the US.

It's either that or the elusive lottery green card. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It's either that or the elusive lottery green card. :D

Or marry a hot American girl. The requirement for a girlfriend now is that she's not only but possesses a green card at least :D

This stuff is already stressing me out. Definitely looks like the H1B is the way to go for internationals wishing to stay in the US.

Candav, you are a canadian student. You will get an F1. And then I believe some kind of J or H visa for residency, unless you're doing something research heavy in which case it will be a TN.

http://internationalcenter.umich.edu/immig/tnvisa/

Last edited:
Or marry a hot American girl. The requirement for a girlfriend now is that she's not only but possesses a green card at least :D

That is another option, which could bring you easy access to a gc and happiness. Or it could make your life a living hell.....:D

Sent from my A500 using SDN Mobile

you guys are crazy!

Hopefully something good will come up by that time! I just hope we can all get into Medical School first!!!! It's scary reading about all these future visa issues!

I think there are some horrible advice out there for International students, mainly ones that say you need a phenomenal MCAT and GPA. This is just not true. I think there are probably three categories of US med schools, ones that take internationals as if citizenship doesn't matter, ones that take internationals infrequently/reluctantly, and ones that don't look at internationals. For the top schools, most of them fall into the first category, and many will even give you scholarships and such if you quality (scholarships are not fed loans so you dont need to be an american). Furthermore, you are prob as competitive as an american so this idea that 'internationals' need to be 'better' is false.
I think maybe it's 'harder' for internationals to get into A medical school because they dont have a state school to fall back on, and state schools (who have lower avg GPA/MCAT) most of them don't accept internationals. But for those schools, higher MCAT (like a 44) won't help you cuz they just don't take internationals.
From my experience, there are very few schools who accept internationals but very rarely (I think Weill is an example). For those schools, yes maybe better stats will help you but I think they are a small minority.

Also, the argument that canadians/internationals have a better avg MATRICULATING stats according to AAMCAS doesn't mean sht. Most likely case is that they either get into a good school in US or they stay in canada/outside of US. So most of them wouldn't matriculate unless they got an offer to one of the top places, hence making it seem like internationals need to get higher scores to get in.

As several have said, the most important thing to do is just make sure you apply early ( don't need to be on June 1st but june is good idea) and broadly. The biggest challenge by far is to come up with the money for 4 years at time of matriculation.

Just a side note, MD/PhD cares a lot more about citizenship so it matters more in that case.

I think there are some horrible advice out there for International students, mainly ones that say you need a phenomenal MCAT and GPA. This is just not true. I think there are probably three categories of US med schools, ones that take internationals as if citizenship doesn't matter, ones that take internationals infrequently/reluctantly, and ones that don't look at internationals. For the top schools, most of them fall into the first category, and many will even give you scholarships and such if you quality (scholarships are not fed loans so you dont need to be an american). Furthermore, you are prob as competitive as an american so this idea that 'internationals' need to be 'better' is false.
I think maybe it's 'harder' for internationals to get into A medical school because they dont have a state school to fall back on, and state schools (who have lower avg GPA/MCAT) most of them don't accept internationals. But for those schools, higher MCAT (like a 44) won't help you cuz they just don't take internationals.
From my experience, there are very few schools who accept internationals but very rarely (I think Weill is an example). For those schools, yes maybe better stats will help you but I think they are a small minority.

Also, the argument that canadians/internationals have a better avg MATRICULATING stats according to AAMCAS doesn't mean sht. Most likely case is that they either get into a good school in US or they stay in canada/outside of US. So most of them wouldn't matriculate unless they got an offer to one of the top places, hence making it seem like internationals need to get higher scores to get in.

As several have said, the most important thing to do is just make sure you apply early ( don't need to be on June 1st but june is good idea) and broadly. The biggest challenge by far is to come up with the money for 4 years at time of matriculation.

Just a side note, MD/PhD cares a lot more about citizenship so it matters more in that case.

I see your point. So if I'm an international with a 28 with 3.75, where should I apply?

Last edited:
This thread is giving me some hope! Congratulations to those who got in (Jealous of your stats)!

My premed advisor raised an interesting point though. She said there must be a reason why certain schools still consider international students. Align your persona, so to speak, to that reason in order to make yourself count as an applicant. You can do this through the personal statement obviously.

My personal goal is McGill which is a whole new different ball game (I'm neither a U.S. or a Canadian resident), but I'm planning to apply broadly here in the U.S. too.

Cycle 2012-2013! Good luck to those in the same timeframe!

P.S. I applied to TUFTS Early Assurance Program (open only to a few select Boston Universities, I go to Northeastern). I got a chance to talk to the admissions board and they said, "We don't want to encourage you to apply. Although we don't say that we DON'T accept International Students, we stop just short of saying it. Your application will only be reviewed once we deem that no other applicant can fill a spot." I still applied and didn't get an interview. :( Thought people should know.

Keep your chin up! Hopefully good things are in store for you in future. That being said, we all have to work extra hard

I see your point. So if I'm an international with a 28 with 3.75, where should I apply?

I think the international average is a 33 with a SD of 2 or 3??? If so, then some internationals do get in with under 30.

A 28 will definitely be a tough sell at the top "US News" ranked programs, but it isn't shabby. I was reading a thread in the "What are my chances?" forum where an international got an interview at Albert Einstein with a 27, albeit with a 4.0 GPA.

How about the thread linked herein about the international getting a 40K scholarship to Northwestern with a 24 or 25 MCAT? You just never know ... although 30+ is the safe side to be on :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Cool!
You guys, please post any link you think will be relevant on this thread! I'd like to see that Albert Einstein student's profile too!

Thanks Chrome19 for the input!

I am international, and I got in. Applied to about 11 schools, 4 interviews including an MD/PhD, 2 acceptances to MDs.
I applied late in my first try and got 2 interviews but no acceptances, then reapplied right after.
Apply broadly, ace your MCATs, have extracurriculars and all that fun stuff. Also, for me I would say what changed the most between my first and second year was my confidence levels. I improved greatly in interviewing during my second app cycle.
I have three friends who are all international who got in, and know 2 internationals matriculating into my medical school.
Its definitely doable. Do not let SDN or anyone else discourage you. If you know you want to be a doctor, then go for it.

Congrats!!... but How much is the tuition and how are you paying for med school if you are an international student?

Getting in as an International isn't hard but financing might be. No federal loans and you need an american cosigner. Hopkins needs all the monies in an escrow account also.

I am an international student in Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. I just finished my third year here (Biochem BS) and I have a 4.0 GPA (science and overall), 38S MCAT, Research for 3 years (no pubs yet) and a ton of EC's.

I have been volunteering in the hospital for the past 2 years, and the doctors have told me pretty much what most of you here have posted. High MCAT's, High GPA's, a lot of EC's, research and volunteering. It's pretty much the norm that we have to elevate ourselves above the top American students to be considered. They also urge to APPLY EARLY. I do have two friends of mine (also international, F-1 Visa students) who got in with less stats than what I have.

One had a 3.8 and a 33T MCAT and got into Georgetown University after having to wait 1 year in the application process.

The other had a 3.96 and a 35S MCAT with some research background and got into the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Program of MD/MS.

I will be applying for the 2013 cycle, dropping the AMCAS tomorrow (first day of submission). Good luck to all the international students too.

Ok so I'm Canadian with 3.3 cgpa and scgpa. Taking mcat June 21st expect ~30. 2 years research, + 120 hrs volunteering, + some leadership ec.

With my stats, I'm already at the low end, plus being Canadian makes it tougher. Any advice? I well be applying DO as well, but are there any MD schools i have a decent shot at?

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

I would definitely apply to DO as well like you said. Make sure you print out your ps and your amcas/aacomas application. There is no excuse for a single mistake.

Don't ever give up!

I would definitely apply to DO as well like you said. Make sure you print out your ps and your amcas/aacomas application. There is no excuse for a single mistake.

Don't ever give up!

Thanks, do you have any recommendations to which MD schools to apply to based on my stats + international status?

I am an international student from Jamaica on a student Visa. I attend a non-Ivy school in Washington DC. I am a rising senior studying for a BS in Biology. I will be taking my MCAT on September 1, 2012. Due to the lateness of my MCAT, I will be applying next cycle(June). I will be taking a year off and doing research in that year.

I have 200+ hours in clinical research experience, 40 hours in clinical shadowing and a few hours volunteering at a free clinic run by med students.

By the time I apply I will have 2 1/2 years of research, which includes summers. I will also have another year from my year off. The first experience was clinical (as stated above) and the second is a long-term commitment in a neurodevelopmental research lab. I have an interest in Psychiatry/Neurology and am interested in Neuroscience (MD/PhD). I have two abstracts out (first author on both) and am working on a manuscript (first author). My PI thinks it is almost a sure pub.A professor I had told me that getting a fellowship after med school was a better route, then I could still do research and practice clinically. I agreed, but the bonus of this program is the funding. I do understand that these programs are insanely competitive.

For EC's, I am the Vice President of Programming for a Pre-Med Fraternity. Through this I have done fundraising for a childrens' hospital. Planned and moderated educational events for premed students, eg. MCAT workshops, and panels discussions with med students. I am the current President and past years' Vice President for an org that's main aim is to assist international students with acclimating to the US and college life here. We help them set up bank accounts, give advice on classes, programs etc. I also volunteer two hours every week (for the past two years) in the office that processes these students paperwork. I answer calls, help students with questions, and help with the upkeep of records. Other than that, I have other volunteer/ and org activities from the past, but these two are the one's I find most relevant.

I feel like the most important thing at this time is my MCAT score. If I can do well on this I have been told that my app would be considered strong. Keeping up with SN2d's schedule has been tough, due to my research( soon my load will be lightened to 20 hours instead of the two 40 hours weeks I worked) and also planning, meeting and contacting people for my org's.

Could any one suggest a few schools that I might have the best luck applying to?

Oh yeah, my current cGPA is 3.89 and sGPA is 3.8

Thanks, do you have any recommendations to which MD schools to apply to based on my stats + international status?

I would suggest that you apply BROADLY, but be sure to include all schools with the median MCAT of the same or lower than what you get.

I would buy the online MSAR since stats change every year. Always look at the school's website to figure out whether they really accept international. MSAR did lie to me last year and I wasted $60 on a primary.

Also, you can see on the online MSAR how many internationals are accepted.

It seems that US schools are more susceptible to Canadians than other "internationals." :)

I am an international student from Jamaica on a student Visa. I attend a non-Ivy school in Washington DC. I am a rising senior studying for a BS in Biology. I will be taking my MCAT on September 1, 2012. Due to the lateness of my MCAT, I will be applying next cycle(June). I will be taking a year off and doing research in that year.

I have 200+ hours in clinical research experience, 40 hours in clinical shadowing and a few hours volunteering at a free clinic run by med students.

By the time I apply I will have 2 1/2 years of research, which includes summers. I will also have another year from my year off. The first experience was clinical (as stated above) and the second is a long-term commitment in a neurodevelopmental research lab. I have an interest in Psychiatry/Neurology and am interested in Neuroscience (MD/PhD). I have two abstracts out (first author on both) and am working on a manuscript (first author). My PI thinks it is almost a sure pub.A professor I had told me that getting a fellowship after med school was a better route, then I could still do research and practice clinically. I agreed, but the bonus of this program is the funding. I do understand that these programs are insanely competitive.

For EC's, I am the Vice President of Programming for a Pre-Med Fraternity. Through this I have done fundraising for a childrens' hospital. Planned and moderated educational events for premed students, eg. MCAT workshops, and panels discussions with med students. I am the current President and past years' Vice President for an org that's main aim is to assist international students with acclimating to the US and college life here. We help them set up bank accounts, give advice on classes, programs etc. I also volunteer two hours every week (for the past two years) in the office that processes these students paperwork. I answer calls, help students with questions, and help with the upkeep of records. Other than that, I have other volunteer/ and org activities from the past, but these two are the one's I find most relevant.

I feel like the most important thing at this time is my MCAT score. If I can do well on this I have been told that my app would be considered strong. Keeping up with SN2d's schedule has been tough, due to my research( soon my load will be lightened to 20 hours instead of the two 40 hours weeks I worked) and also planning, meeting and contacting people for my org's.

Could any one suggest a few schools that I might have the best luck applying to?

You have done your homework well. It's hard to find a school that you shouldn't apply to. Of course, we still need your MCAT score. What are the schools that have an MD/PhD program?

I know Dartmouth has one for sure.

You have done your homework well. It's hard to find a school that you shouldn't apply to. Of course, we still need your MCAT score. What are the schools that have an MD/PhD program?

I know Dartmouth has one for sure.

Thank you, I try!

MD/PhD programs that accept intl students:
1. Hopkins (with Merck scholarship)
2. Wash U (full funding)
3. Cornell (full funding)
4. Duke (full funding)
5. UT Southwestern (full funding)
6. Vanderbilt (full funding)
7. Dartmouth (full funding)
8. Baylor (full funding)
9. USC (partial funding)
10. Stanford (no funding)
11. Harvard (no funding)
12. UPenn (full funding)
13. Mount Sinai (full funding)
14. Yale (full funding)
15. Penn State (?)
16. BU (?)

Programs to avoid:
1. UCSF
2. Mayo
3. UPitt
4. NYU

I also have heard that Emory funds international students for their MD/PhD and have read on Albert Einsteins website that they do as well. I am most interested in Einstein, Hopkins, Sinai and Yale.

What is the scope International students of getting admission to College of Medicine ( If not looking for the Financial Support )
I am a student is in the Boarding school in US and in my senior year.

Is there any restriction, this year onward in US that internationals are not allowed to practice in US?

It is already time for me to start applying for my Colleges, I am already late.
Can you please help me with answers.

I just do not want waste my time and money for Pre med , if there is no scope of getting into med school.
Please help me , i will be grateful to you all.

Sorry being so hurry, I learned about all these recently , not clear about everything.
And can you suggest some good Pre med schools too.

Last edited:
A lot of internationals in this forum are in medschool. It can be done. For residency, you will need a visa and that may limit where you can/want to apply.

Hello fellow international students!! I'm also struggling in getting my finances straight before starting medical school. I'm waiting a year to start until I get the money :S.
I'm so glad I'm not alone on this journey!! Great idea in creating this support network guys!

International student here......first time applicant.....having a great cycle.....accepted already to one of my top choices......7 other interview invites in line (expecting more too).....I thank God for everything ...but yes it is possible.....don't let anyone tell you otherwise

International student here......first time applicant.....having a great cycle.....accepted already to one of my top choices......7 other interview invites in line (expecting more too).....I thank God for everything ...but yes it is possible.....don't let anyone tell you otherwise

oh wow!! you got so many interviews! do you mind sharing your stats?

Hey all,

I am a non traditional international applicant - pursuing with my pre med coursework now from a community college. Have few questions:

1. Does being in a community college Vs. doing pre med course from university matter during an admission process?

2. Does anyone have a more updated list or a link for Med schools accepting International students ?

3. I have lots of volunteering/clinical experience from my home country - Is that enough or should I do some volunteering in the US as well ?

Thanks and Regards,

Hey all,

I am a non traditional international applicant - pursuing with my pre med coursework now from a community college. Have few questions:

1. Does being in a community college Vs. doing pre med course from university matter during an admission process?

2. Does anyone have a more updated list or a link for Med schools accepting International students ?

3. I have lots of volunteering/clinical experience from my home country - Is that enough or should I do some volunteering in the US as well ?

Thanks and Regards,

1. University would be preferable for all applicants, and this would be especially true for international students. Studying at a US or Canadian school would be the best option.

2. Purchase the book or online version of MSAR.

3. Best to have experiences in the US or Canada in addition to your experiences in other countries.

Good luck to us internationals!

1. University would be preferable for all applicants, and this would be especially true for international students. Studying at a US or Canadian school would be the best option.

2. Purchase the book or online version of MSAR.

3. Best to have experiences in the US or Canada in addition to your experiences in other countries.

Good luck to us internationals!

Thanks Nychila...

I am enrolled in a US school - Community college now for my pre med..so I am already pursuing with that requirement for med school admissions. I am debating on whether to pick up a university for finishing my coursework because of the cost factor between Community college and a University !

Thanks Nychila...

I am enrolled in a US school - Community college now for my pre med..so I am already pursuing with that requirement for med school admissions. I am debating on whether to pick up a university for finishing my coursework because of the cost factor between Community college and a University !

I think it's probably worth it, but it would be wise to do a quick search on this forum for that topic. If you're trying to be cost-efficient, I would argue that medical school for international students are about $300k; what a local university costs versus a community college will only pale in comparison.

I'm an international student, I just got accepted to an MD in the USA. Thinking about deferring for financial reasons, are there any drawbacks I should consider?

Hello everyone,

First time posting on this forum. I'm an international student (F-1 Visa, not Canadian). I have 33 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA. Above average EC's and lots of research. Applied this year to pretty much every school that accepts international students, and only got one interview. Final decision still hasn't been given, so I've still got my hopes up.
I have to say though I was expecting more interview invites. Any suggestions on what to do if I don't get accepted? I've got acceptances for lots of SMP programs including Georgetown and BU. All advice is welcome.

Hey there,

I'm also a non-Canadian international and interestingly enough, I was in a similar situation as you last cycle and ended up not getting off the waitlist. My advice to you is retake the MCAT and boost that GPA with the SMP. What I've realized is that for people like us, we have to be significantly better than the competition. There's no way around it. What was your list of schools anyway?

I retook the MCAT and got more interviews this cycle. However, they all ended up as waitlists (MCAT 32O, 36Q, 3.7) So if you're dead set on going to medical school, boost your stats as high as possible. That's the only honest advice I can give. I am dead set on not applying to medical school again so take my advice for what it's worth.

Best to you.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a great MCAT! I'm sure you'll get in. :)

I am a year 1 student studying biochemistry in Hong Kong. I have no tides to the US. I am considering my career options but is frustrated by the many hurdles i need to cross in order to be accepted in to a US medical school.

Among those hurdles is the universal requirement that i need to complete some required courses (eg: org chem, eng) and spent 1 year at an accredited US university. However, i am not sure about how to fulfill this particular requirement. Can someone who studied and graduated at a foreign university and have been accepted/graduate from medical school share their experience on how you deal with this particular issue?

I am a year 1 student studying biochemistry in Hong Kong. I have no tides to the US. I am considering my career options but is frustrated by the many hurdles i need to cross in order to be accepted in to a US medical school.

Among those hurdles is the universal requirement that i need to complete some required courses (eg: org chem, eng) and spent 1 year at an accredited US university. However, i am not sure about how to fulfill this particular requirement. Can someone who studied and graduated at a foreign university and have been accepted/graduate from medical school share their experience on how you deal with this particular issue?

I know a girl graduated from China mainland, with an excellent article published on a famed science magzine and over 40 MCAT. She got matriculated by Stanford without any study in US. I suspect that either you spend at least one year in US or you have some unique achievements. And some schools accept graduates from British education system. That's it.

Hello. I have been a member on here for a couple years but do not post often. I am also an international student from the Caribbean applying this cycle. I got my undergrad in the US and I am now completing a masters in public health in the US also. I have a 34 MCAT, 3.6cGPA but low (3.2ish) sGPA. I am taking some science classes during my masters and taking over an undergrad science class and hoping for the best. I have a cousin who got into Duke with a 28 MCAT but 4.0 c/sGPA so I know it can be done.

Good luck everyone!

1.Thanks for that information. Can you give me more detail?
2. What about students who do not have the privilege of the girl you know? Do you know how international students like me generally fulfill the 1 year requirement?
3. Upon further research i find that the MCAT is reforming in 2015, which is the year i would expect to graduate (3 years programs in HK). Do you know anything about the new requirement? (i will write to the medical schools for that as well but any help is appreciated.)

I know a girl graduated from China mainland, with an excellent article published on a famed science magzine and over 40 MCAT. She got matriculated by Stanford without any study in US. I suspect that either you spend at least one year in US or you have some unique achievements. And some schools accept graduates from British education system. That's it.

2. What about students who do not have the privilege of the girl you know? Do you know how international students like me generally fulfill the 1 year requirement?
3. Upon further research i find that the MCAT is reforming in 2015, which is the year i would expect to graduate (3 years programs in HK). Do you know anything about the new requirement? (i will write to the medical schools for that as well but any help is appreciated.)

1. Sorry I could not give you more coz I don't know that girl but she's the friend of my friend. I heard that her publication was IF>15
2. To fulfill the 1 year requirement most of the matriculated international students have their undergraduate studies in US, or doing postbac here. Can you do that?
3. About the new MCAT I personally think it would be harder and requires more critical thinking & boarder knowledge. If possible I recommend you take early. The requirement? you mean prerequisites? I dont think they're gonna change much.

1. Sorry I could not give you more coz I don't know that girl but she's the friend of my friend. I heard that her publication was IF>15
2. To fulfill the 1 year requirement most of the matriculated international students have their undergraduate studies in US, or doing postbac here. Can you do that?
3. About the new MCAT I personally think it would be harder and requires more critical thinking & boarder knowledge. If possible I recommend you take early. The requirement? you mean prerequisites? I dont think they're gonna change much.

For 2. I think i will be able to do postgraduate in the States if i have the kind of grades that allows me to get into medical school but i doubt if i will have flexibility. US undergraduate curriculum allows you to choose a wide range of subjects but i am not sure if that is the case for a postgraduate degree.

By the way, i am now awaiting with eager anticipation that the legislative body in the States passes the immigration reform bil and allow foreign students to obtain a green card upon graduation from whatever level of STEM degree required so that i can bypass this hard process of applying as an international student.

For 2. I think i will be able to do postgraduate in the States if i have the kind of grades that allows me to get into medical school but i doubt if i will have flexibility. US undergraduate curriculum allows you to choose a wide range of subjects but i am not sure if that is the case for a postgraduate degree.

By the way, i am now awaiting with eager anticipation that the legislative body in the States passes the immigration reform bil and allow foreign students to obtain a green card upon graduation from whatever level of STEM degree required so that i can bypass this hard process of applying as an international student.

Well, I could only say good luck. To obtain GC immediately after the graduation, I suspect this policy would not come true shortly. More than 100,000 foreign students stay in US and if it gets through by legislation, most of STEM graduates will stay and this is unacceptable to the government (what an impact to the local employees!). Perhaps the Hong Kong resident has privilege but make sure double check it, always hope for the best and plan for the worst!