international undergrad with a problem for dental school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownguy25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am currently an international undergrad student studying in the US. my GPA isnt the best at the moment, its around 2.8 but working for the better, however in 2 of the pre reqs i have received a c-. Now, my school is not letting me take the classes again because according to my school, i have passed however it is not upto par with dental schools. Yes, i can take it after i finish with my undergrad at any other institute but my visa status will end by then. i am currently in the process of emailing dental school admissions officers to ask them for any alternatives but thought i would also take the input of this community into consideration.

I have thought about going to the Caribbean as well. After reading a lot of threads people say its a bad idea for US citizens to go out to learn dentistry and come back to the US to practice, but is it for a international student such as myself?

What other alternatives are there? i am simply asking because gut feeling tells me that i will have to take the classes again but do not know how exactly i will do it because i highly doubt the US will give me an extension on my visa for 2 classes and then wait for an entire year to hear from dental schools on the next rotation

Thank you in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply for a master program and extend your visa. From what I understand, a master degree will make up your low GPA and you may retake some prerequisites as well. I understand master program costs much but it might be the best way for you to get into US dental school eventually. Hope it helps and good luck!

I think as an international student, you will need a higher GPA and DAT to compete with US students for admissions into Dental schools. So my suggestion is to apply for a Master program to strengthen your application with higher GPA, volunteer, shadowing experience, etc.