Interning in Independent vs Chain (or both!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm7291

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently interning with an independent "back home" which is about 2 hours from my pharm school (which is also in a different state from my home state). I love my independent and I know I'm getting great experience here, but I also know that there are fewer pharmacist jobs avaliable in the independent sector as compared to chain retail. I've been considering trying to get an internship with a chain or a larger store (SAMs club, Costco, etc.). What are your opinions on doing this? I'd like to continue working with my independent, as I typically just work breaks (summer, Christmas) and am very lucky to have a pharmacy owner who is very flexible. I just fear that I am going to be at a disadvantage when it comes to being hired after I graduate with only independent experience (i.e. no "in" with a chain system) outside of my rotations. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What are the chances of you getting hired by the independent after you graduate? Big chain interns have an advantage because chains generally do in-house hires well before they seek out unaffiliated graduates