Interns and insurance through work (walmart)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wallace12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had or gotten insurance through work where you are interning at? I'll be 26 this fall and can no longer be on my parents insurance, so I'm trying to see how I can enroll in a plan through Walmart where I currently work. And if you have insurance through them how good is it?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone had or gotten insurance through work where you are interning at? I'll be 26 this fall and can no longer be on my parents insurance, so I'm trying to see how I can enroll in a plan through Walmart where I currently work. And if you have insurance through them how good is it?

I was always lazy and just took the crap plan through pharmacy school, since I was 26 when I started. Insurance was simply an optional fee that was added onto my tuition each semester. Most companies you won't be eligible for company insurance benefits unless you're a full time worker. It doesn't hurt to ask your work, as well as a school advisor.

I know for a fact some companies offer 401k and insurance to part-time employees but I know nothing about Wal-Mart. I'd check their HR site. As the other poster said plans are likely offered through your school as well... in fact some (maybe all?) schools require you to be insured and presumably for that reason offer it.

Members don't see this ad :)

At my work you have to work 30 hrs to be eligible for insurance. If you don't work many hours or don't have any sorts or income, i would suggest applying for medicaid. I know it's crapy but its way better than paying for insurance through school or work.

You are probably better off on Medicaid... Almost everyone in my class not on their parents insurance was on Medicaid because we didn't make enough

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Go talk to human resources people about that....Walmart has the cheapest health insurance....they employ a lot of people...that's why their health insurance is cheap

I totally forgot I had posted this and had been working and doing a summer IPPE the last 2 weeks.
I don't think I qualify for Medicaid because I make too much... I am also going to school out of state from my home/permanent resident and don't really wanna go through changing to being an in state resident and all of that stuff. Just really hoping I can get it through Walmart.
I have to call the customer service line to find out, it shows online that it's $46-75/month so not too bad

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile