Internship as an international student (using CPT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bethlizzy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I will soon be applying to go on my pre-doctoral internship and I wanted to hear from other internationals on how they went about using their Curricular Practical Training (CPT) to engage in what is usually a year-long full-time internship while still maintaining Optional Practical Training (OPT) to work after graduation. My understanding is that full-time employment for 12 months or more removes one's eligibility for OPT. How have other Clinical Psychology Ph.D. internationals negotiated the length of the mandatory internship to preserve OPT for work authorization after graduation?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I will soon be applying to go on my pre-doctoral internship and I wanted to hear from other internationals on how they went about using their Curricular Practical Training (CPT) to engage in what is usually a year-long full-time internship while still maintaining Optional Practical Training (OPT) to work after graduation. My understanding is that full-time employment for 12 months or more removes one's eligibility for OPT. How have other Clinical Psychology Ph.D. internationals negotiated the length of the mandatory internship to preserve OPT for work authorization after graduation?

Thanks,

Elizabeth
I resigned my internship one day early. That's what the site did for all internationals to stay within cpt.

Reactions: 1 user
What a simple solution to something that I was rather worried about! Thank you for the suggestion. I am glad to know that there is a way to both complete what is essentially a full internship and still maintain OPT.