About the ads

Internship Cover Letters

Discussion in 'Veterinary' started by shortnsweet, Jun 30, 2013.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. shortnsweet

shortnsweet Just Keep Swimming

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Does anyone have any advice on where to start with these? I feel like I am having major writers' block. Could be because it's still hard for me to believe i'm a final year looking for a job....:rolleyes:
  2. Bill59

Bill59 Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Important points are explaining your specific goals and how they match with the particular program, how familiar you are with the program, and demonstrating you are familiar with and understand the demands of an internship. Highlighting any practical experience is good.

It's very important the letter is well organized, succinct and with no spelling, typographical or grammatical errors.
  3. lei325

lei325 RVC c/o 2014!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm in the same predicament. Thanks for the advice, Bill59!
  4. Ben and Me

Ben and Me

SDN 5+ Year Member
  5. shortnsweet

shortnsweet Just Keep Swimming

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks all!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile
  6. adams30

adams30 Illinois c/o 2017!!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The article from K-State is super helpful and informative. However, I have 2 questions.

1. I was wondering about this statement in that article

"Veterinary work experiences are particularly important for most internship committees"

By "work experience" do they mean paid positions at clinics or could it be non-paid positions working with veterinarians? I know for most of us students it can be difficult to find paid positions in clinics because of our school schedules.

I currently volunteer in a wildlife medical clinic at school where I gain hands-on experience working with vets. Would things like that count even though it's non-paid?

2. Professional Experiences

Could that include experiences such as attending AVMA conferences, seminars, etc?

Thanks!
  7. IndianapolisVet

IndianapolisVet

Veterinarian
    First, congratulations! Internships are outstanding ways to earn tons of experience.

Second, recognize that you are competing against a pool of very well qualified applicants. Having gone through the match myself oh so many years ago, I remember being accepted into one, meant being rejected from several.

Third, I can't emphasize "succinct" enough. Many resumes are glanced at for only a few seconds, so everything should be very well organized, and relevant. None of this flowery "feel I can contribute valuable blah blah blah to your organization" stuff, just tell them where you've been, what you've done, and in one or two sentences, what you gained from the experience.

I studied here, and got a bunch of A's. I also ran the student society, wrote for the newspaper, worked after hours at McDonalds, etc.

I volunteered here, and learned that while I really enjoy A, B and C, I am less interested in D and am excited about getting better at E.

Paint a vivid, tangible picture of yourself for the reader. What you love, what gets you up in the morning. Make the reader want to Google you to learn more about your accomplishments.

Good luck! And remember, you're still a good person even if you don't match where you want. Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's being happy with what you get. :)
  8. adams30

adams30 Illinois c/o 2017!!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the tips IndianapolisVet!