Internship Interview Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyhawk08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on the best time to schedule internship interviews? I know I'm probably over-analyzing the process, but when given three different interview time slots (1 in December, 2 in January), I do wonder if there are advantages or disadvantages to going first or last. Also trying to keep in mind that January is generally more hectic for other internship interviews. Just looking for others' experiences and opinions- thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There likely aren't significant advantages to going first or last in terms of how the site would rate you, but whenever possible, I'd suggest jumping on December dates simply because (as you've said) January tends to be much busier. Have a few interviews in December could save you significant stress in terms of having to shuffle around and potentially reschedule other interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I did something kind of covert that worked in my favor: Going into internship interviews, I already had one particular site that I wanted most of all. Well, two actually, but one was more realistic than the other. I scheduled all other interviews before the one at that most desired site because once I got around to interviewing, I had my 'elevator pitch' down. I was also much more confident and relaxed. So given the choice...I chose dates sooner for most sites (*think dress rehearsals*), and later for the ones I wanted the most.

Also, don't disparage yourself with how many interviews you get: I applied to 10 sites, interviewed at 5, and matched at my first rank (which was the site with my last interview :)). Remember you only match to one place...and they have to want you as badly as you want them. If you believe you're a great match there, you should have no problem convincing them of that implicitly and being enthusiastic about it. But don't ask me exactly how to do that - it would be different for each person and not really a 'formula' per se... Otherwise, everyone would match at there first choice, and I would be rich coaching others with this idea.

Edit: In response to what bmedclinic writes below...yes, it is absolutely NOT necessary to get your first ranking, you just need to rank somewhere, and if you don't, no worries...you can do it again next year, and again, *think dress rehearsal*...that helped not have the "manufactured stress" that bmedclinic mentions.

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My one piece of advice: Stay healthy. This now is several years ago, but I saw family on Jan 1 and had my first interview of 8 on Jan 4. My nephews were sick and I didnt know that until they were jumping on me. Also, my house flooded when I was home for like 2 days in between interviews. Didnt help my health, either. I literally stayed sick until the middle of Feb when I had my last interview.. not that I really wanted that spot... but I was completely delirious. I'm sure I said stupid things. My wife picked me up from the interview (she flew there with me) and picked me up afterwards and apparently I passed out on the bed afterwards in the hotel room, in a rather compromising fashion, and with the hotel door completely open. I know I sounded terrible and she told me people were giving me death looks in the airport, too.

I'm glad I've gotten to the point where my misery is now actually funny and worth sharing.
So, stay healthy. Take care of yourself. You'll be fine. The stress is manufactured.

Also, also, also, its not going to hurt your career if you dont get your top spot. I literally got spot #8, and I'm doing great.

Reactions: 2 users
I scheduled all other interviews before the one at that most desired site because once I got around to interviewing, I had my 'elevator pitch' down.

This is smart advice.

but I was completely delirious. I'm sure I said stupid things.

Haha, that reminds me of my interview experience. I was 6 weeks postpartum when I went to my first internship interview, and I was both acutely and chronically sleep deprived. My memory for that day is best described as "impressionistic." I matched to that site, so somehow I must have managed my ratio of stupid to intelligent comments. But yeah, it would have been a better experience all around with my body and mind in a better state.

I did something kind of covert that worked in my favor: Going into internship interviews, I already had one particular site that I wanted most of all. Well, two actually, but one was more realistic than the other. I scheduled all other interviews before the one at that most desired site because once I got around to interviewing, I had my 'elevator pitch' down. I was also much more confident and relaxed. So given the choice...I chose dates sooner for most sites (*think dress rehearsals*), and later for the ones I wanted the most.

Good luck! :luck:

I agree that knowing, to some degree which sites you would like to go to over others is helpful. And to go to these sites earlier to get in some practice (super helpful at calming the nerves for the sites you really like). But at the same time, I would also not schedule your favorite sites at the end because, depending on how many interviews you get, you will be exhausted. Sometimes you can't help but schedule the ones you want at the end because that is how timing works but I was definitely exhausted by the end. Just my two cents. :)