Internship or retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krzmo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am looking for some advice, especially from students who have gotten into vet school with lower GPAs. I did have an interview earlier this year, but was put on the wait list. The advice from the admissions person wasn't super clear and I would like some advice from people who are in my boat.

Cum. GPA: 3.22
Science: 2.99

I am in my senior year right now and have A's in all my classes, except physics where I might be around a C+ currently. I don't really have a great excuse for my low GPA besides that I was working multiple jobs and was in a struggling relationship with someone. My dilemma right now is if I should delay my graduation and take a few more upper level courses in the fall and then graduate, or if i should apply for internships for the fall. I am definitely retaking my GRE this summer so if I do super well on that, perhaps it will outweigh my grades.

I have a ton of small animal experience and research, so I am only missing large animal. This is probably one of the last years I could do an unpaid internship since I am entering real-world mode and my parents won't support me for very much longer, but perhaps I should finish up my schoolwork strong and try and raise my GPA a little bit.

Sorry for the long post! As you can tell, I have been stressing about this a lot the past few days and have a lot going on in my mind so any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

After reading your post, I would say I'm leaning more toward focusing on improving your grades and GPA. If you have "a ton" of small animal experience and research, as you say, then I think boosting your GPA, which you've acknowledged is a weak spot, is most important. Of course the decision is ultimately up to you, but my opinion is that you should take a few more courses and graduate later with a higher GPA over pursuing internships.

After reading your post, I would say I'm leaning more toward focusing on improving your grades and GPA. If you have "a ton" of small animal experience and research, as you say, then I think boosting your GPA, which you've acknowledged is a weak spot, is most important. Of course the decision is ultimately up to you, but my opinion is that you should take a few more courses and graduate later with a higher GPA over pursuing internships.

Agreed 100%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is your school? You could always take a few courses, maybe the minimum for full time and try to shadow/volunteer/intern with a large animal vet. You might even be able to get credit for it.

Otherwise, I'm with everyone else, focus on taking more advanced courses and getting good grades. It seems to me that internships/ vet experience are viewed as a means for you to prove you know what you're getting into, but grades prove you can handle school and the intense career that follows. Unless you're putting your career goals as large animal vet, I think grades are far more important.

The thing with the internship is that the one at Monterey Bay Aquarium could lead to a possible alternate career in conservation (otherwise I have no idea what I would do besides vet med). :(

I guess my big dilemma right now is whether to graduate next month or just stay one more semester in the fall. Staying on as a student at University of Minnesota could improve my overall GPA. Otherwise, I could just take upper division courses through some other college, but they wouldn't improve my undergrad GPA. During my file review with IL, he stated that I shouldn't retake courses but that it could benefit me to take more upper division.

I appreciate everyones responses! I just want to go to veterinary school so badly!