Internship ranking without disseration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych9991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to rank order my internship sites. My number one site is far from my current university and I have not yet completed my dissertation data collection. Due to the nature of my dissertation, I cannot have an undergrad/and or research assistant conduct the paradigm. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I've known people who go back after internship to finish their dissertations. Try not to do that. If you think you can step it up and get the data collection done by summer then by all means, go for it, but if it's not at all realistic and you're out of other options you should consider taking another year to finish. You really don't want to do it on the back end.

I've known people who go back after internship to finish their dissertations. Try not to do that. If you think you can step it up and get the data collection done by summer then by all means, go for it, but if it's not at all realistic and you're out of other options you should consider taking another year to finish. You really don't want to do it on the back end.
Thanks for your input. I have lower ranking sites that are closer to my university that I *may* have to consider ranking 1,2, or 3. It just feels like such a bummer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. I have lower ranking sites that are closer to my university that I *may* have to consider ranking 1,2, or 3. It just feels like such a bummer!

It sounds like either this or MamaPhD's suggestion might be about your only two options. I'm guessing you couldn't have another grad student (e.g., a first- or second-year) step in and manage it while you're gone, either? I know some folks in my program did this while they were on internship.

Personally, I might prefer to go to a geographically closer but "less-desired" site that would allow me to make drives back to work on the project rather than put internship off a year. But that's just me. And if you go that route, realize your internship experience then has the potential to be a pretty grueling/unpleasant one. It was hard enough working on my dissertation while on internship even though I had all the data available to me.

I am one who did my dissertation on the back end. To me, the hurdle of internship was primary. My wife and I decided that I could not feasibly do both internship and finish dissertation and avoid divorce :D all at same time so we made the choice to postpone. It actually worked out okay because I made some good contacts during internship that opened up an adjunct faculty position at a local college which helped financially while I finished. This led to me obtaining a post-doc in the same community.

I am one who did my dissertation on the back end. To me, the hurdle of internship was primary. My wife and I decided that I could not feasibly do both internship and finish dissertation and avoid divorce :D all at same time so we made the choice to postpone. It actually worked out okay because I made some good contacts during internship that opened up an adjunct faculty position at a local college which helped financially while I finished. This led to me obtaining a post-doc in the same community.

Thanks - good food for thought. My concern, although nascent at this point, would be post-doc (e.g., the possibility of not going straight from internship). I'm glad it worked out for you!