Internship reaccredited by APA for 3 years - what do you make of that?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you make of an internship that is only reaccredited by APA for 3 years? Generally speaking--what types of issues might contribute to that? I'm familiar with grad program accreditation (my program just went through ours last year), but I imagine that the accreditation process for internship focuses on different issues. Is a 3 year reaccreditation in an internship more/less/equally concerning as a 3 year reaccreditation in a grad program?

The reason for my question: I'm applying for internship this year and just noticed one of my sites only got a 3 year renewal. That seems pretty concerning, especially because their next site visit is scheduled for late 2014... which means I may have to rank the site in February before they have heard back from APA about the status of their accreditation. If I get an interview at this site, I will certainly ask about it. But for now, I'd like to better understand the internship accreditation process in general. Thanks!

[side note: I originally posted this question in a thread about 3 year grad program accreditations, but it seems more appropriate for it's own thread, so I'm reposting it here]

Members don't see this ad.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but, personally, I would ask them now what the APA told them needed to be corrected. That will be the most direct way to find out what's wrong and will give you a better gauge on how concerned you should be. I think most site directors would be quite open and honest about something like this even if you don't interview; if they're not, then you probably don't want that site anyways.

I'd guess that, similar to a University, they just squeeked by and APA wants to keep them on a short leash. Your primary concern, if I were you, would be if they're going to be accredited when you finish internship? Doesn't matter, for licensing, if they lose it the next year. All you care about is if they're accredited when you are done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd guess that, similar to a University, they just squeeked by and APA wants to keep them on a short leash. Your primary concern, if I were you, would be if they're going to be accredited when you finish internship? Doesn't matter, for licensing, if they lose it the next year. All you care about is if they're accredited when you are done.

Very true, although I will say that perhaps unfairly, a grad program or internship site losing accreditation may somewhat affect early career opportunities. You of course won't be disqualified from applying to jobs that require accreditation, but it could color application reviewers' opinions.

And I agree with PsychBiker that asking the TD what resulted in the three-year accreditation may be the best way to go.

Good points. I was originally hesitant to contact the TD before I heard back about my application, so I'm glad to hear @PsychBiker's point that a good TD should be transparent about the reasons behind the accreditation, regardless. Thanks to all for the advice!