Internships and Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gmw1386

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get an internship/shadow a DO?

My advisor told me to e-mail New York Osteopathic Medical Society, and NYCOM. I live very close to NYCOM.

Also what are the chances that I can get a paying internship? Many people tell me to try the local hospitals, but they don't return my calls or respond to my applications. Once (read as: hopefully) I get a contact list from NYOMS and NYCOM I can find a physician in a hospital that is in my interests, but I'm willing to take anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Gmw1386 said:
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get an internship/shadow a DO?

My advisor told me to e-mail New York Osteopathic Medical Society, and NYCOM. I live very close to NYCOM.

Also what are the chances that I can get a paying internship? Many people tell me to try the local hospitals, but they don't return my calls or respond to my applications. Once (read as: hopefully) I get a contact list from NYOMS and NYCOM I can find a physician in a hospital that is in my interests, but I'm willing to take anything.

Look at any hospital/clinic website and you will at least find e-mail contacts for DO's. Most will be willing to have you shadow...they know that it is necessary for you to be sure that this is something you would like to do. It will be hard to find paying internships unless you have healthcare experience already. I had pretty solid EC’s and about 20 hours of DO shadowing and have been accepted to some schools already. Make sure you have some DO experience before applying, makes the process less stressful and gives you a step ahead of others.

check out the clinical sites of NYCOM and volunteer in one of the departments that hosts NYCOM students. More than likely you will find DO residents and attendings there. This is what I did. Good luck.

In the FAQ there are faster ways to a DO letter.