Internships/educational job opportunites for a first-year student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosentik

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I will be finishing up my first semester of vet school this December! I am trying to plan ahead and find some internships or paying jobs that would be beneficial to my education/career over the winter break. Are there some good resources for me to check into online? What advice do you guys have as far as looking for/selecting things to do over breaks. I have a special interest in cardiology/internal medicine, so something along those lines would be great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, if it were me, I'd take a break over break. That's mostly what I did; the time off was important. I did do the occasional spay/neuter trip to a reservation and whatnot, but the ones through our school were mostly during the school year (RAVS was during summer, though).

I don't know of resources online.

It might be worthwhile for you to track down a local cardiologist or internal medicine doctor and ask if you can just hang with them a bit during your breaks. I doubt you're going to have a ton of luck looking for paid jobs that are just for things like over winter break. But just because you're in vet school doesn't mean you have to stop 'shadowing' non-academic vets .... it can be a huge benefit in terms of networking and hands-on experience.

Summers you can find more jobs. There were often research opportunities or summer 'tech' sorta jobs for students available.

Honestly, if you have a particular interest, I wouldn't wait for breaks to start digging into it. Walk into the cardiology (or whatever) service at your teaching hospital and tell the chief of service that you're a first-year student but you're really interested in cardiology. They'll most likely invite you to hang out. Start hanging out regularly. You'll become a fixture in the service, and half the times (at least where I went to school) those types of people ended up with student jobs working in those services.