Internships for post-bacc students or for non-trad, non-undergrad students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cvl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am searching for internships preferably on research since i do not have research experience at all. Is there a site or an existing list that provides this information? So far, I have seen lists mainly for undergraduates.

Members don't see this ad.

There are very, very few research positions available to non- undergrads that would take someone with no research experience. If you're enrolled in a school somewhere, then that would be your best bet (go talk to professors & the career development center). If you're not in school and you graduated more than 6 months ago, you're probably not going to find any.

Other options (non-research) have more possibilities, but there's no unified list anywhere.

In addition to the above:
1. Postbac is undergrad. Look harder at any undergrad opportunities you see - you might be eligible. But most established programs are very, very competitive.
2. Most people get research experience by asking to volunteer in a lab or on a clinical study. You have to wash glassware and empty the autoclave before you get to "do" anything. Same with consenting and data entry in clinical research. You should not expect to get a publication out of research unless you get lucky and land with a sane, supportive PI. Watch out for psycho PI's; they are everywhere.
3. Not needing to get paid vastly increases opportunities.
4. You will be expected to speak intelligently about the research focus of any lab/practice you work in, even if you're nowhere near the work.
5. If you can't dedicate 6+ months to a research project, it's probably not worth doing. Multi-year involvement is fairly high value.

Best of luck to you.