Internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpdaman11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between an internship with a program like NIH, MAYO, AMGEN, etc and these other internships I'm reading about at a medical school/with a physician? They both seem like an amazing way to get some real experience over the summer. Which one is preferred on applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Corporate internships are likely more research based, and will prepare you for a research career. Certain internships with medical schools (SMDEP, for instance) are targeted toward pre-meds and launching a clinical career. Both are valued to some extent by medical school admissions—it's more a matter of what your application is missing, than it is about admissions' perception of those activities.

Try both. Chances are you won't get in; these programs are usually very competitive.

I did a summer internship at the National Institutes of Health and if you ever see yourself involved in research for your career in the future, I highly recommend that you apply. It is very competitive and over 8,000 applied this past summer but it is not impossible to get in. I never expected to be conducting research there but I applied and they gave me a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I highly recommend anyone who is interested in research to apply for an internship with the NIH because it really does change the way you view the healthcare system. I got to meet world renowned researchers and Dr. Anthony Fauci even spoke with the summer interns to give them tips on how to succeed in their career! Good luck!