Intership and publishing a scientific article!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItalianVet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know how many veterinarians that do a formal one year internship with the goal of applyng for a residency have wrote and eventually published a scientific article.
Is it something that has alot of weight on a residency application or is just optional?
I'm almost at the end of my radiology and diagnostic immaging internship (I got in to it trough the Veterinary Internship and Residency Matching Program) and I learned alot, and review alot of articles but I didn't wright anything even if I had the chance of doing it. It was not even suggested by the doctor that is supervising my internship.
What do you guys think? Is it going to give more chances to get in to a radiology residency if I try to wright something? Or should I just let it go because is not going to make that much of a difference?

Thanks for any answer and suggestion.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the percentage, but a significant number of residency applicants have a scientific publication, either from internship year or earlier. How much advantage this would be is hard to predict, but having a publication is certainly better than not having one, especially for an academic residency.

This is something more that you need to think about before to get a license:
Are you going to practice in that state?
Check if the require to be a resident and a citizen.
Some states like mine require it.
Remember you need to have a license in every state that you want to prectice( an it means a lot of money )
Good job!!! if you approve navle and then CPA.
Share with us when that happens!
I started since I came here,Oh God the time is passing fast,I came in 2000.First thing first .Practice english ,talk in english ,speak english and thimk in english ... so far I approved TOEFL test :thumbup:.
2008-2009 I am in the process of apply to get PhD. This is another way to practice veterinary,actually I am studying GRE test book, I will need to get > 1,000 points to be acepted in The Veterinary School of Colorado State University , I already made my plans,is not easy after spend your time taking care of your responsabilities as a citizen of this country.When I left my country I left behind 9 years of practice:oops:.....Today I work with computers for more than 7 years, I work for an successful corporation(lucky me), I am one of the top employees:D.... but is only for the money that I am good.
To be a veterinarian is in my blood and my family.
I will get it!
Questions?
Talk to you soon:idea: