Intersting article about why there are more women than men in vet med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirbuckie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found this interesting article that hypothesizes why there are more women than men in the veterinary profession. I know there were other articles relating to this topic previously posted, but I dont think this particular one has been posted yet.

Basically it states that men are hesitate to enter veterinary school bc they are intimidated by the overwhelming number of women enrolled there.. veterinary medicine has been dominated by men until the 70's when Title IX was passed removing barriers from women in vetmed.

And they expect the same trend to happen for law and med professions

Anyways, enjoy the article. I thought it was interesting.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/206562.php

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting article. I guess I can see what's she's saying, however I would like to know why there such a difference between the number of men & women getting bachelors nowadays. 811,000 vs 562,000....that's a pretty big difference!

Wait...
So I'm supposed to believe that 80% female classes should deter me from vet school rather than attract me to it? :laugh: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
My riding instructor keeps holding out hope that I'll find a boyfriend in vet school. I don't think she realizes what the sex ratio of vet schools is. :laugh:

The ratio is just as skewed in PhD Psychology programs. My boyfriend just received his offers and I realized today that he's going to be surrounded by women! :rolleyes:

I so disagree speaking from a male applicat point of view ! Men dont care about women being the majority thats the last thing I thought about ! The real is pay salary decreases and thats what it boils down to! Men are not as willing to take pay cuts as quickly as women who only do so to be more family oriented :)

Just my opinion please dont be offended...

Men are not as willing to take pay cuts as quickly as women who only do so to be more family oriented :)

Just my opinion please dont be offended...

Not sure what you mean by more family oriented? My female friends in human medicine assure me that they are in much better situations to have a family than I am (better incomes, some places have child care, better health insurance, better maternity leave.)

I believe I read an article showing the same trends in human med and law, and found that it most strongly correlates to the gender ratios graduating with adequate pre-reqs. I don't remember where the study was (it was an education journal.)

I do know that one of the big reasons I prefer vet med to human med is the ability to run my own business. It is rarer in human medicine to be an owner/operator (it does happen) and nearly impossible without affiliating with a hospital. I also have listened to the horror stories my friends deal with in terms of liability. Also, I don't have to commit additional years to low income internship/residency unless I want to; I can still practice medicine. Finally, while my hands may be tied by clients at times, at least currently they aren't tied by insurance/PPO/HMO's.

I guess other people were more informed, but I never realized the sex ratio until I was in the midst of the application. Maybe more people check out the classroom before they apply. It wouldn't have deterred me, but I never knew ahead of time.

Too bad the restroom ratio has never changed-between classes, lines for women, never for the men:eek:

The article was crap and the conclusion was unfounded. All they did was find no bias in the admissions process. How they conclude men are turned away by too many women in the classrooms is a complete mystery?

Too bad the restroom ratio has never changed-between classes, lines for women, never for the men:eek:

:rofl: So true! They converted a few of the male restrooms to female restrooms at UT and there still aren't enough women's rooms to go around!

lol its family studies all over again woohoo. so my search to find a vet husband is wrong damn it. oh well hopefully I find someone in undergrad studies. its official the days when women could only be nurses and teachers are over it's all about being a veterinarian

Last edited:
My riding instructor keeps holding out hope that I'll find a boyfriend in vet school. I don't think she realizes what the sex ratio of vet schools is. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh: No offense, Coquette, but I'm sure you're a perfectly independent and capable individual without a boyfriend to complicate matters:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh::laugh: No offense, Coquette, but I'm sure you're a perfectly independent and capable individual without a boyfriend to complicate matters:thumbup:

Pretty much. I did say it was my riding instructor who keeps trying to set me up. If I meet someone, great! But I'm going to vet school to be a DVM not a MRS! :laugh:

But I'm going to vet school to be a DVM not a MRS! :laugh:

Exactly :D My parents are getting a new house pretty soon and some of our relatives were saying (since it's a bigger house) that it would be nice for me since I should be married soon.

I just made a :confused: face and went on about how I'm more concentrated on my studies/research right now. If I find someone who's willing to wait through all of that, then great.

As for the ratio...what about the simple fact that there's just more women than men? We had discussed this in relation to my current university. I'm not for sure how accurate that assumption would be though.

The vet I work for said the underlying issue is the males desire to be the main source of income for their families. She said that less males are going into veterinary medicine because the debt is too great when you factor in the salaries they will acquire. She said that females are more willing to take the debt because they are secondary sources of income for their families and do not have to worry about being the main source of income.

Last edited:
I think women generally spend longer in the restroom than men. Think about the operations involved. For a guy, it's pretty simple - unzip, extract, eliminate, replace, zip. It's even faster in a kilt! Women have to partially undress, and if they are concerned about such things, perhaps modify the sanitation level of the restroom. Most women also wear underwear beneath their skirts, so even the kilt/skirt advantage is neutralized.

^^meh, I see what you're saying, but not all women take that long to pee. :laugh:

Also this article and all these theories are dumb. Unless my cats are going to get high-paying corporate jobs soon, I'm pretty sure I'll be the sole source of income for myself for quite some time to come. :smuggrin:

edit: my cats should get jobs, damnit.

This is easily explained, coming from my male perspective.

Men are dum. Wimmen are smart.

(basically, an application of marriage survival tactic #1).

I agree with New Foundland! It's anything but a deterrent to apply to a field that is female dominated, from a male's perspective =)

Think up another reason for the "feminization" of the vet field Miss Margaret Allen from Southern Methodist University!!

It prolly does come down to women are smarter then men...

Basically it states that men are hesitate to enter veterinary school bc they are intimidated by the overwhelming number of women enrolled there..http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/206562.php

One observation I made doing my pre-reqs is that in general, it sure seemed like the best students were female. There were some smart guys, sure, but for every guy pulling straight A's there were at least two or three girls.

I think if people want to know why more women are entering these fields than men they need to go further back in the academic process and look at why (if my anecdotal observation is correct) women are succeeding so much more at the undergraduate (high school? jr high? grade school?) level.

^^meh, I see what you're saying, but not all women take that long to pee. :laugh:

Also this article and all these theories are dumb. Unless my cats are going to get high-paying corporate jobs soon, I'm pretty sure I'll be the sole source of income for myself for quite some time to come. :smuggrin:

Yeah, and I'd be amazed if enough women planned on being a secondary source of income to fully account for the sex ratio. Unless you're already married to someone with a high income going into vet school, intending to be a secondary source in a marriage you may or may not ever end up in seems like a massively irresponsible thing to do.