Interventional Cardiology and the other guy in the room (who does what)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dysrhythmia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, what do you interventional guys think about these videos?
Do you see these interviews as a circle jerk between surgeons or do you think they are actually right?
If the ct residents are going to be trained in the cath lab, there will be space for interventional residents too?

Surgeons doing interventional procedures surgery
http://www.eacts.org/annual-meeting/video29am/

Crystal Ball: The future of myocardial revascularization
http://www.eacts.org/annual-meeting/video29am/acquired-cardiac/

Members don't see this ad.

Could they train in it? Absolutely. Any one can train on catheter based techniques given enough volume and time in the cath lab. Will they take over Interventions from Interventional cardiologists? Highly unlikely. Cardiologists have the patient base and they are the ones that would do the referrals. They will not be referring to CT surgery procedures they are perfectly capable of doing themselves. At least I don't see it being the case in the US.

I think nearly every TAVR program has CT surgery involved. It's part of the "Heart Team" which is embraced by the ACC. At my institution, the interventional cardiologist (IC) works closely with the surgeon. They work as a team and often interchange their roles, though the IC is in charge (structuralist). Also at my institution, the surgeons do the TEVAR. Surgeons are no where near the PCIs, but that said, if their is a hybrid case (LIMA to LAD by surgeon, PCI to others by IC), there is a "Heart Team" approach for planning and collaboration.

Training in PCI is very different than being competent at PCI. Sure a CT surgeon can spend a year in the cath lab and learn diagnostic and interventional coronary work, but unless they use and grow those skills as an attending, its for naught. Fellowship training is the tip of the iceberg in terms of comfort doing procedures and being able to do complex cases. Its going to be really hard to be busy in the OR as a surgeon and still have time / case volume to be a competent interventionalist as well. I think most surgeons will choose OR over growing their PCI skills.