Interventional Cardiology fellowship July 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blasmici

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friends,

I think it's time to start a thread on applications/interviews for the academic year July 2016 - June 2017.
For the benefit of all we can share info on programs we know. The useful info would be number of positions, procedural volume, autonomy, call schedule, candidate selection, training in high risk cases, structural and peripheral training, research and so on. Please feel free to ask questions or provide comments.

Good luck.
MB

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea-I am in-applying for IC for June 2016-seems its a bit heterogeneous abt the timings-the ERAS programs accept applications in Nov-Dec; however many programs have a rolling application cycl, and use pen-paper applications.I guess we have to write to individual programs for same info..??

Members don't see this ad :)
does any one have info on Montefiore NY IC pgm?

1 yr vs 2 yr programs... any thoughts
I know some have optional 2 yr and some are mandatory....

I know its early but is everyone starting to get their letters and MSPE etc in order?

What, MSPE for interventional cards?? this must be a joke:)

Wish it was......

Applications
Applications for the Interventional Cardiology Fellowship should be submitted through ERAS.
Documentation to be submitted:

• ERAS Application
  • CV
  • Letter from current or previous cardiovascular disease program director
  • Letter from previous internal medicine program director
  • 3 additional letters of recommendation
  • Medical school transcript
  • Letter from medical school dean
  • Personal statement
  • Copy of USMLE and/or COMLEX board score reports
  • Copy of ABIM internal medicine and cardiovascular disease board certificates, if available

Yes...The 2 year programs take twice as long as the 1 year programs. Did you have a more specific, perhaps answerable, question in mind?
Wish it was......

Applications
Applications for the Interventional Cardiology Fellowship should be submitted through ERAS.
Documentation to be submitted:

• ERAS Application
  • CV
  • Letter from current or previous cardiovascular disease program director
  • Letter from previous internal medicine program director
  • 3 additional letters of recommendation
  • Medical school transcript
  • Letter from medical school dean
  • Personal statement
  • Copy of USMLE and/or COMLEX board score reports
  • Copy of ABIM internal medicine and cardiovascular disease board certificates, if available
wow, in that case I should dig for stuff from kindergarten:)

Looking at the ERAS and after contacting few programs directly, most will stop receiving applications after 11/30/14. I would recommend get things together and request LOR.

Programs not participating in the ERAS but take outside candidates:
- Emory
- Henry Ford (I heard it has a large volume, strong TAVR program, lots of peripheral and hands on)
- Yale not participating in ERAS and no information on the website that can be helpful of how to apply. It seems they are capped for 2016.

Attached is the Emory paper application.

Attachments

• 2016_17_ interventional_application.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 95
Take is capped for interventional and structural programs for the coming three years.

I have to be honest I am confused. Is the submission date December 1 or is it ASAP? I wish there would be a uniform process here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and matched last year. The interventional match is very heterogenous and application deadline will vary from November 15 for emory, NYU and texas heart to dec 1st for ERAS programs with many others accepting applications till february 1st like mount sinai in new york.
There are around 100 programs in ERAS and many others outside ERAS. Some of those outside ERAS trend to fill internally early like henry ford last year. Also some programs are in ERAS and they will fill internally without having the integrity to withdraw themselves and save applicants an extra $26. So it is always better to contact at least non ERAS programs personally as that may save you time, effort and money.
Interviews may be held as early as December as was the case for NYU to late May. Most programs will interview and fill before ACC, but many other ones send invitation late and interview in April.
Offers are usually extended 2-3 weeks after the date of last interview in the program. There is no NRMP or ranking so you either get an offer or not. If you are offered a position and you refuse, then you may regret it as you may not get another offer. On the other hand if you accept it and sign then you may lose another offer by more prestigious program.

Good Luck for you all...

Is Dec 1st the deadline for applying for the ERAS programs,or is it the first day one can apply?

applied to Emory and UCSF-yet to hear from either...waiting for ERAS to open.

...so when I initially emailed the PC Susan abt 1 month ago, she sent m the paper application--but now as I am logging into ERAS, its showing as a participating program.-will likely be ERAS...wasted some time filling out the app...:-(

...so when I initially emailed the PC Susan abt 1 month ago, she sent m the paper application--but now as I am logging into ERAS, its showing as a participating program.-will likely be ERAS...wasted some time filling out the app...:-(
Same with St. Elizabeth medical center, they just switched to ERAs.

HAS ANYONE TRIED TO FILL EMORY APPLICATION FORM IN PDF? IT IS NOT AT ALL USER FRIENDLY..ANY SIMPLER WAYS OF FILLING THE PDF?

Need some advice... I'm a Cardiology fellow in Australia, hoping to do an Int Card fellowship in the US in 2016. I am sitting USMLE step 1 on Dec 22.
Given all goes well with exams, when do you think the quickest I'll be able to get through all USMLE steps? - Mid 2015?

Will there still be any interventional card fellowships taking applications at this time?

Need some advice... I'm a Cardiology fellow in Australia, hoping to do an Int Card fellowship in the US in 2016. I am sitting USMLE step 1 on Dec 22.
Given all goes well with exams, when do you think the quickest I'll be able to get through all USMLE steps? - Mid 2015?

Will there still be any interventional card fellowships taking applications at this time?
Programs require you to have 3 years of US cardiology training according to my understanding. Also it will be an issue for licensing etc if you don't have US cardiology fellowship.

I am a second year fellow, applying this year, just submitted my application,

when would I expect interviews?

I am a second year fellow, applying this year, just submitted my application,

when would I expect interviews?
Looking at last year's thread, it appears that interviews were sent out starting as early as mid-end December. NYU was the first one to send interviews.

though this year NYU deadline for application is Dec 31, as compared to Nov 15-30 last yr!.
Has anyone heard from any programs yet.

Not that I heard, I am guessing they'll start sending in early January, we will see.

First rejection: Northwester

Havent heard anything from NW yet.
Any other programs yet!

Just received an interview invitation for OHSU (Oregon) today.

I think unlike with a match where it really doesn't matter ... knowing which programs are interviewing could be helpful to us all so I'll start this, although it seems people aren't really interested in sharing. Good luck all.

-Rex

Interviewing:

OHSU: 12/17 (2/24, 3/4)
Houston Methodist: 12/16 (1/12, 1/19, 1/23)

Rejecting:

Northwestern: 12/17

Thanks Rex. There's the Holiday spirit.

New to SDN so hopefully my post works!

No interviews yet.

Places that have been kind enough to respond to my emails(non-ERAS), but state that they are not currently accepting applications because they have already filled internally. I think this would be useful for us to share as well.

Washington University-St. Louis
UTSW
Baylor (Houston)
Texas Heart Institute

Good luck to everyone!

Henry ford is filled
University washington wants a separate personal statement.

Interviewing:

Ochsner Clinic: 12/18 (1/7, 1/14)

Rejecting:

Penn filled internally-also reduced spots by 1 from 3->2..

So far...

Filled internally:
Cleveland Clinic
U Penn
Henry Ford
UTSW
Baylor (Houston)
Texas Heart Institute

Interviewing:

Rejecting:

So far...

Filled internally:
Cleveland Clinic
U Penn
Henry Ford
UTSW
Baylor (Houston)
Texas Heart Institute

Interviewing:

Mayo Clinic: 12/19 (1/15)

Rejecting:

Is it really early to start getting interviews from most places?

Is it really early to start getting interviews from most places?
The programs have started offering spots to internal candidates already. Most of the top places will fill within. Some have sent out interviews for the few remaining positions.
The competition is stiff. The selection process is unfair and it will all come down to who you know and who calls for you. I think the best chances are in our own program.

SUNY Stony Brook-IV dates 02/25, 03/03

So far...

Filled internally:
Cleveland Clinic
U Penn
Henry Ford
UTSW
Baylor (Houston)
Texas Heart Institute

Interviewing:

Mayo Clinic: 12/19 (1/15)
SUNY Stony Brook-12/22-IV dates 02/25, 03/03

Rejecting: