Interventional Cardiology Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeevesbond

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please rank the best interventional cardiology fellowships nationwide. would be interested in hearing thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Please rank the best interventional cardiology fellowships nationwide. would be interested in hearing thoughts![/QUOTE

depends on what u are trying to do.. The best academic places may want u to stay for two years. If you are planning to do valves, structural heart disease or become a master in peripherals it wd be worthwhile doing a two year interventional fellowship..
Most programs will very train you well in basic PCI stuff..

IMHO the best cath programs are

CCF, Columbia, Duke, Texas Heart, Michigan, MGH, Brigham and possibly Mayo and Hopkins.

How you doing ?
I think I have found the right forum, can you help me?

I was looking for some info about the training of interventional cardiology fellows in USA.

Thanks in advance:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Fellowship Positions in Interventional Cardiology
Angioplasty Associates is a group of Interventional Cardiologists (ten at present) running 5 Cardiac cath labs in Hyderabad, India. The team has a strong academic programme and large volume of patient population. The team is lead by Dr C Raghu who is a pioneer in trans-radial procedures in India and has been a faculty at many Interventional conferences and workshops. The group has performed 1200 coronary stenting procedures in the year 2010. The group has been organizing short-term training programme in Interventional procedures under the aegis of Training Academy for Cardiovascular Interventions (www.interventionaltraining.com) at regular intervals.
The team plans to induct 2 Fellows in Interventional Cardiology for its training programme to begin from the 1 July 2011. This is a full time fellowship for a period of 1 year and training will be provided in Coronary interventions. The candidate will be working in the cardiac catheterization lab and research department. They will work in a ratio of 80/20 respectively in both the departments.
Fellowship allowance will be provided apart from the payment for the rotation duties performed in the group as per the scale. In addition, Candidates will be provided accommodation for their stay.
Requirements:
  • MBBS or MD from a medical school
  • Eligibility for a limited term license from Indian Medical council.
  • Letter of recommendation from Programme Director or the Head of Department
  • Minimum of 3 years of Cardiology training
  • Candidates must have proficiency in Echo, TOE, Stress Echo, Diagnostic Catheterization
  • Basic skills in cardiac and peripheral diagnostic procedures is an added advantage.
  • Must be willing for one complete year training programme.
  • Basic command over English.
  • Excellent interpersonal skills
What can the Candidate expect at the end of training programme?
The candidate on successful completion will be able to choose appropriate cases, perform confidently and safely coronary angioplasty – stenting procedures including bifurcation, left main, Primary angioplasty with thrombo aspiration systems, calcified lesions including rotablation, device closure for Atrial, ventricular septal defects and patent ductus arteriosus. Will be able to perform more than 98% interventions trans radial route. They would be have a basic understanding and foundation for peripheral vascular interventions including carotid and below knee interventions.
Area info:
English, Telugu and Hindi speaking Indian population. Hyderabad has a population 7-8 million.
Hyderabad is a progressive city; perfect for single individuals or families. Area is a major hub for Information technology and hospitals in India with a world class International airport.

How to apply:
Interested candidates are encouraged to email their letter of interest and resume addressed to Dr C Raghu, Head Department of Cardiology on info@interventionaltraining.com or [email protected] or [email protected].

What are you basing that on? Are you talking about actually getting hands-on, high volume training or just being able to say "I trained at Mayo"?

I agree with CCF, Columbia, and Texas Heart but places like Banner Good Samaritan and Mt. Sinai (NY) are far more high volume than those other places.

Can you guys provide any thoughts about Washington Hospital Center which appeared to be a high volume center for Int Cards?

Can anyone else comment on potential "sleeper programs"? I understand that most of the big name places will provide solid training but I am wondering about busy, clinically-oriented programs that may not be well known. For example, I had no idea Banner Good Sam was such a busy place. Thanks to the above poster for the tip.

Thanks in advance!

Jackbauer24 - Although I can't speak firsthand experience, one interventional fellow told me that Michigan State (Kalamazoo) and SUNY Downstate both have pretty impressive volume and highly skilled operators. Apparently, the MSU fellowship director invented the Cypher stent. William Beaumont has also traditionally been pretty good but they definitely took a hit when Bill O' Neill left a few years ago.

Any input about reputation of Intervention cardiology fellowship programme at University of Miami Leonard M Miller (JMH) Thanks in advance
OJB

Any input about reputation of Intervention cardiology fellowship programme at University of Miami Leonard M Miller (JMH) Thanks in advance
OJB

I interviewed there for fellowship and i left under the impression that their interventional cardiology program is pretty impressive. Large volume, skilled attendings, with all the trials (PARTNERS, CORE, etc..) in there, in addition to structural heart diseases. That will def play a role in my ranking list. Any insiders from UMiami who can add to this?

Axc,

Thanks man. Definitely appreciate the info. I'm from a NYC program so if you ever need any info about NY programs just let me know.

Jb24

Axc,

Thanks man. Definitely appreciate the info. I'm from a NYC program so if you ever need any info about NY programs just let me know.

Jb24

Hi
I was wondering if you can shed some light over Albany cardiology fellowship program ?

Thanks in advance

Hi
I was wondering if you can shed some light over Albany cardiology fellowship program ?

Thanks in advance

Albany doesnt have an interventional fellowship to my knowledge-otherwise good clinical prog with happy fellows.......

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a MS4 at Umiami, but I've worked with the cath lab team for the past 5 years.

The program features a couple of "all-stars," namely Dr. Bill O'Neill (from Beumont), Dr. Alan Heldman (recruited from Hopkins back in 06') and Dr. Mauricio Cohen (Recruited from Duke).

Dr. O'Neill and Heldman, as mentioned earlier, are pioneering the PARTNERS trial and the CORE. They perform a percutaneous aortic valve anywhere from 1-2 times weekly (it's pretty impressive, and the results are simply amazing).

Percutenous Stem cell therapy is also being performed on a regular basis, usually 1-2 times per week as well.

Dr. Cohen specializes in trans-radial approaches, and performs that regularly.

Aside from that, the volume is staggering, since fellows also rotate through jackson Memorial (the large public county hospital). There's a strong and growing relationship with Fire-Rescue, in pioneering STEMI managemet/response times/protocols.

The Volume will definitely not be an issue. You'll see all the usual stuff (STEMIs, stents, diags, etc). The Dean of the med school and executive director are both Cardiologists, so they're pouring a lot of money into the program. I think this program is definitely on the upward swing (after being a non-factor prior to 2006).

Any info on the interventional cardiology programs at Washington Hospital Center and Brown/Rhode Island? Thanks

How would you choose among these three? I'm interested in a high voluem program

Here is my take, although I am most familiar with Sinai's program:

Emory:
It is a 1 year program. They perform about 2500 interventions per year and have 5 fellows. So you can expect around 400-500 interventions. They are a part of PARTNER so they do TAVI. They also advertise peripheral experience, but not sure how in depth the experience is (?above and below knee). They have 10 cath labs but this is spread over 4 hospitals, which can be a plus (different practice styles) or a minus (travel time, call). Solid research availability.

Mayo:
It is a 1 year program with an option to apply for a second year. They perform about 1600 interventions per year and have 4-5 fellows. So you can expect 350 to 400 interventions. They are a part of PARTNER so they also do TAVI. They also have peripheral experience, but again don't know how extensive to experience is. They have 6 labs, centralized to one hospital. Of course, research is available.

Sinai:
It is a 1 year program. They do between 5000-6000 interventions per year and have 7 fellows each of whom does about 750 interventions. They are also a very aggressive lab and routinely do very complex procedures (type C, bifurcation, rota, impella-assisted, CTO, retrograde, etc). This is great for experience, but the lab also has a reputation for VERY long hours. They do peripherals, above and below knee but mostly above. They are not part of PARTNER but instead are a part of the CORE valve trial. They also do alot of BAV's, but there is minimal exposure to other structural procedures such as ASD, PFO closure. They have 7 labs, centralized to one hospital. More research is now available since some of the CRF attendings moved from Columbia to Sinai.

Obviously, TAVI is the next big move in IC. But, I am not sure how important it is to go to a PARTNER site. I am at one now for general fellowship and the interventional fellows do not get to touch the catheter (which makes sense because it could skew results if an inexperienced operator is deploying the valve). Also, the prevailing opinion at ACC was that the Edwards-Sapien valve will get FDA approval by this November and so it will soon be available to all academic labs.

To be honest, all are high enough volume that you should be competant. And I don't think one place is particularly dominant in either structural or peripheral to differentiate them. The possibility of a second year at Mayo to focus on advanced techniques may be intriguing. But really, there are all in such different locations I would probably decide based geography, giving preference to where you want to find a job, especially if you want to go to private practice since this does matter.

Would be very interested in hearing what others thought.

In reply to a previous poster, here are my thoughts on WHC and Brown:

Washington Hospital Center:
It is a 2 year program, with one of the years totally dedicated to research. They are incredibly high volume, maybe the highest in the country. 6000 interventions and only 3 fellows per year so no shortage of cases. They are a PARTNER site and do all of the structural and peripheral procedures (not sure about carotids). They have 10 cath labs, all at WHC (I believe that there are no rotations at Georgetown). They have some of the leading interventionalists in the country, including Augusto Pichard and Ron Waxman. Its a great place/top program, if you are willing to devote a whole year to research.

Brown:
It is a 1 year program, equally split 6 months each between RIH and the Miriam Hospital. I think combined they do about 2500 interventions. They have 4 fellows, 2 of which are at RIH and 2 at Miriam at any given time. Their peripheral volume is strong, mostly through the Miriam. They are not a part of PARTNER and I do not believe that are part of CORE. The outside opinion is that the program is much stronger now that fellows are able to rotate through both hospitals, since most of the peripheral volume is at Miriam, but I would be curious to see what the Brown fellows have to say about that. There also seems to be some pretty good clinical research opportunities with Abbott and Williams. Overall, it seems to be a very solid program with the caveat that there is no TAVI at this point, but again, who knows how ubiquitous this will be in the next 6-9 months.

By the way, albany most certainly has an IC fellowship program. http://www.amc.edu/academic/gme/programs/InterventionalCardiology/index.html

Also, no discussion about the top interventional programs would be complete without including Cedars-Sinai, Scripps, and Ochsner (which is the only program I know of that offers training in intracerebral stenting...the IC fellows take stroke call).

Hey intcards thanks for all your information. Its look like you have lot of knowledge of interventation program. Are you a interventaional fellow ?
In reply to a previous poster, here are my thoughts on WHC and Brown:

Washington Hospital Center:
It is a 2 year program, with one of the years totally dedicated to research. They are incredibly high volume, maybe the highest in the country. 6000 interventions and only 3 fellows per year so no shortage of cases. They are a PARTNER site and do all of the structural and peripheral procedures (not sure about carotids). They have 10 cath labs, all at WHC (I believe that there are no rotations at Georgetown). They have some of the leading interventionalists in the country, including Augusto Pichard and Ron Waxman. Its a great place/top program, if you are willing to devote a whole year to research.

Brown:
It is a 1 year program, equally split 6 months each between RIH and the Miriam Hospital. I think combined they do about 2500 interventions. They have 4 fellows, 2 of which are at RIH and 2 at Miriam at any given time. Their peripheral volume is strong, mostly through the Miriam. They are not a part of PARTNER and I do not believe that are part of CORE. The outside opinion is that the program is much stronger now that fellows are able to rotate through both hospitals, since most of the peripheral volume is at Miriam, but I would be curious to see what the Brown fellows have to say about that. There also seems to be some pretty good clinical research opportunities with Abbott and Williams. Overall, it seems to be a very solid program with the caveat that there is no TAVI at this point, but again, who knows how ubiquitous this will be in the next 6-9 months.

By the way, albany most certainly has an IC fellowship program. http://www.amc.edu/academic/gme/programs/InterventionalCardiology/index.html

Also, no discussion about the top interventional programs would be complete without including Cedars-Sinai, Scripps, and Ochsner (which is the only program I know of that offers training in intracerebral stenting...the IC fellows take stroke call).

I have received a couple of messages asking me about which programs offer structural
training and which have a second year. The vast majority of programs will offer
training in basic structural stuff (i.e ASD, PFO).

Here is a list of programs that I know of that have either a mandatory second year
or a second year option. If I missed any, feel free to add to the list. I think
second years are a mixed bag. Make sure they are offering what you need in that 2nd
year to further whatever career direction you want to have. I would also try to pay
close attention to why they have a second year. Is it because they are really
offering extra training in that year, is it required because they want someone to
recruit patients to clinical trials for them for a year, is it because fellows
aren't getting the necessary volume in 1 year, etc. Also, be careful of programs
that have an "optional" second year. Do all of the complex cases go to the more
senior second year fellow, leaving the fellow who is only there for one year with
only basic procedures? With this in mind, I included what the programs advertise
they offer in the 2nd year. Also, be careful with those that advertise "hands-on"
valve training as a selling point since this may be ubiquitous after Edwards-Sapien
gets FDA approval.

2 year programs
1. U Alabama-Required 2nd year for peripheral/structural (no valve)
2. Scripps- Required 2nd year for structural during which you act as junior
attending and take all the attending call
3. UCSD- Required 2nd year for peripheral/structural (no valve and low volumes
although they are opening a new heart hospital)
4. UCSF-Required 2nd year dedicated to research
5. Loyola-Required 2nd year for peripheral/structural
6. U Kentucky- Required 2nd year split between research and peripheral/structural
(no valve, and low peripheral volumes)
7. Ochsner- Required 2nd year for peripheral, structural, intracranial (which is
unique)
8. BWH- Optional 2nd year available for 2/3 fellows offering structural/peripheral.
You declare if you are applying for a 1 year position or 2 year position up front
9. MGH-Optional 2nd year available in EITHER structural or peripheral. These spots
must be applied for while you are a 1st year interventional fellow and are far from
guaranteed. They are competitive and often go to those with funding, including
external candidates. Although, they do advertise hands-on valve training in their
structural year
10. BIDMC- Optional second year split between research and peripherals
11. Mayo- Optional second year for structural/peripheral that is applied for while
you are a 1st year interventional fellow
12. Columbia-Optional 2nd year in EITHER structural or peripheral. As long as you
are a solid 1st year fellow, no application is necessary for 2nd year spot. They
also advertise hands-on valve training, but this requires an extra THIRD year
13. Cleveland Clinic-Required 2nd year for peripheral/structural
14. Upitt-Required 2nd year dedicated to research
15. Washington Hospital Center-Required 2nd year dedicated to research

Last edited:
Valve programs:

The following are fellowship programs that are a partner sites with number of
PARTNER A patients enrolled included in parenthesis, as advertised in the PI's
presentation at ACC.

Cedars-Sinai (116), Columbia (primary site, 97), Emory (67), Upenn (52), Cleveland
Clinic (47), Washington Hospital Center (40), U Miami (25), Wash U (24), Stanford
(23), Northwestern (20), MGH (15), U missouri KC (13), Scripps (7), Mayo (6), U wash (5), U
Virginia (3), Brigham (2), Ochsner (2), Cornell (1)

The following are COREValve sites:
Banner, Kaiser, USC, Yale, Jackson Memorial, Mount Sinai Miami,Loyola, Iowa, U
Kansas, Hopkins, BIDMC, UMich, Mount Sinai NY (primary site), Lenox Hill, NYU, NSLIJ,
Duke, Wake Forest, Ohio State, Case Western, U Pitt, Geisenger, Vanderbilt, Baylor
Dallas, Texas Heart, Arora Health, Washington Hopital Center

Last edited:
Recently learned that Rush University Medical Center has a 2nd yr structural program; does PFOs, ASDs, VSDs, etc as well as mitral clip. Also is a Partner-2 site for TAVI.

USC (Los Angeles) is also a CoreValve site now.

Anyone with any thoughts regarding north shore's (in Chicago Illinois) structural heart intervention program. Ted feldman is There but I wasn't sure what type of procedures they are doing and in what kind of numbers. Also unclear is the extent of training and independence in structural intervention one could achieve there. Thanks for any info.

Last edited: