Interventional Cards & CT Surgery Combined Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was scrubbed in with a CT surgery attending and he mentioned some GME programs that were combining CT surgery and interventional cards resulting in one provider handling both ends. Is this an actual thing? If so, does anyone have any information on it? Couldn't find anything when I asked Dr. Google.

Members don't see this ad.

So I was scrubbed in with a CT surgery attending and he mentioned some GME programs that were combining CT surgery and interventional cards resulting in one provider handling both ends. Is this an actual thing? If so, does anyone have any information on it? Couldn't find anything when I asked Dr. Google.

They probably meant CT surgery training that teaches you wire skills.

They probably meant CT surgery training that teaches you wire skills.
So would that actually allow you to work cases in both the cath lab and the OR assuming you passed the boards in each? One residency to rule them all? (Couldn't resist.)

Members don't see this ad :)
So would that actually allow you to work cases in both the cath lab and the OR assuming you passed the boards in each? One residency to rule them all? (Couldn't resist.)

Very possibly, currently I've found that these fellowships exist at Columbia, McGill and Cedars-Sinai. There are CT surgeons that already are learning wire skills, mostly TAVI though not PCI.

Very possibly, currently I've found that these fellowships exist at Columbia, McGill and Cedars-Sinai. There are CT surgeons that already are learning wire skills, mostly TAVI though not PCI.

TAVI is already a multidisciplinary thing that already involves CT surgery. It's very center dependent and in my experience mostly dominated by cardiology not CT surgery. Obviously though CT surg is the one you call for your transaortic or transapical approach.