Interventional Cards Fellowship - IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skraps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been addressed before specifically for cards fellowship but I couldn't find anything previously on the forum.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but here goes - if an Australian trained cardiology attending was to apply for a fellowship in interventional cardiology in the US with no intentions of staying after completing the fellowship, is there any requirement to have completed an IM residency program etc beforehand in the US? I'm not exactly familiar with how the system works for IC fellowship programs in the US if there is no intention for the applicant to stay on after completion of the fellowship.

Is this something that is highly program dependent?

For a fellowship, I understand that USMLE step 1, 2 (and 3?) would be required as well as the appropriate visa...these seem to be universal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch.
Skraps

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Not sure if this has been addressed before specifically for cards fellowship but I couldn't find anything previously on the forum.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but here goes - if an Australian trained cardiology attending was to apply for a fellowship in interventional cardiology in the US with no intentions of staying after completing the fellowship, is there any requirement to have completed an IM residency program etc beforehand in the US? I'm not exactly familiar with how the system works for IC fellowship programs in the US if there is no intention for the applicant to stay on after completion of the fellowship.

Is this something that is highly program dependent?

For a fellowship, I understand that USMLE step 1, 2 (and 3?) would be required as well as the appropriate visa...these seem to be universal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch.
Skraps

You shd be okay at most places.. BUT you will not be able to take boards as you are not internal medicine and cardiology certified here.

I was just wondering what is the benefit of doing a IC fellowship if you dont have any intentions in staying in US. European IC fellowships are more advanced and they do lot of different procedures. I would try something in Italy, Germany etc.

If you still want, I know there are International fellowships available at Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic and Washington Hospital Center. You can look for their requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering what is the benefit of doing a IC fellowship if you dont have any intentions in staying in US. European IC fellowships are more advanced and they do lot of different procedures. I would try something in Italy, Germany etc.

If you still want, I know there are International fellowships available at Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic and Washington Hospital Center. You can look for their requirements.
Hi
I have exactly the same question as Skraps, though I did my Card (and int med) from India. I have got good USMLE scores (99 and 99), decent research track record, and over 40 publications. Tried with several progs but they either did not reply or said they take BC/BE IMGs only. I know, people, though, who got IC while not being BC/BE but I do not know how. Any friendly progs, pls!

You shd be okay at most places.. BUT you will not be able to take boards as you are not internal medicine and cardiology certified here.
Hi
I have exactly the same question as Skraps, though I did my Card (and int med) from India. I have got good USMLE scores (99 and 99), decent research track record, and over 40 publications. Tried with several progs but they either did not reply or said they take BC/BE IMGs only. I know, people, though, who got IC while not being BC/BE but I do not know how. Any friendly progs, pls!

I thought most US programs only take people who did IM and general cards fellowship here? Usually there are plenty of candidates so there is no reason for them to take a foreign-trained doc. I doubt there is a rule against it, but you would not be able to sit for boards here and in the vast majority of cases not allowed to practice here in the US after you are done.

Seriously !

Doing an internal medicine residency and general cards fellowship is a prerequisite for interventional fellowship. And as have been mentioned above you won't be able to sit the board exams without them.
In the early days of interventional cards (1990s?) some institutions used to take in cardiologists from different parts of the world mostly for research proposes but sometimes for the interventional cardiology service this was probably at time before the interventional fellowship training/boards became the prevailing law of the land.