interventional neurology VS interventional neuroradiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gophermanfan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are real differences between interventional neuroradiology and interventional neurology ? I am really interested in both fields but probably more interested in the patient care aspect of neurology. Actually, I cant imagine the boredom of having to do a five year long radiology residency just to get into an interventional neuroradiology fellowship. BUT that salary difference between neurology and radiology is immense. Interventional radiologists are the highest paid docs on earth and neurologists are some of the lowest paid docs.

I would love to know if you guys know the similarities and differences between the two fields. Also, please dont offer your comments saying if you really like something then the money doesnt matter. There is a huge difference between $500K a year and $175K a year especially if you are really doing the exact same thing but via two different training programs.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you know you are "really interested in both fields" if you don't know what the two fields do and how they differ?

I don't know what int neurologists do, but I do know that inter neuroradiologists perform procedures, maybe even surgery, using imaging instead of looking directly at the brain or with scopes....so you wouldn't be seeing a "real life" image of the brain, etc like if you were a neurosurgeon, but you'd see something like MRI or pep scan images and perform the procedure using these images....

Members don't see this ad :)
My aunt is a interventional readiologist and her friend is a fellow in interventional neuroradiology. I worked with him for a day, and a lot of the procedures are using the xray and radioactive dyes in the brain to locate clots and otherwise abnormalities.

Hope this helps.

Interventional neuroradiology involves more... radiation. The procedures they do involve using all those goodies, 131I, Technecium, X-rays, Positron Emission Tomography, whatever to visualize the sites of... "intervention."

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.