Interventional Pain Management physician needed in Tokyo or anywhere in Japan for RFA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can put me on the right path.

I have adopted family in Tokyo. They are Japanese citizens. One of them needs b/l L2-L5 mbb x 2 and likely RFA, as well as a caudal ESI and possibly SIJ injections.

She is planning on flying over here to Seattle for me to do the procedures which I'm happy to do, however it would obviously be in her best interests to do it in Japan.

Do any of you know anybody physicians in Japan, any city, who are excellent and very experienced with lumbar RFA procedures? I only want the best for her.

Obviously Tokyo would be most convenient but I want to send her to the best.

If so, please post here or PM me.

Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Send an inquiry to ISIS. Specificall ask if Drs. Aprill or.Bogduk have any recommendations.

Algos, do u know anyone? Off the top of my head, I'm stumped.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Tokyo and I've spent a little time with both private and academic pain doctors there. Unless you find a very good recommendation, I would suggest that they steer clear of Japanese pain doctors. Japan's medical system is good at some things but interventional pain is at the bottom of the list. From what I've seen, it seems to be a series of blind lumbar epidurals for all low back complaints. Google Japan doesn't even turn up anything with a variety of searches for RF and back pain, so I wonder if their national health insurance even covers the procedure.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm from Tokyo and I've spent a little time with both private and academic pain doctors there. Unless you find a very good recommendation, I would suggest that they steer clear of Japanese pain doctors. Japan's medical system is good at some things but interventional pain is at the bottom of the list. From what I've seen, it seems to be a series of blind lumbar epidurals for all low back complaints. Google Japan doesn't even turn up anything with a variety of searches for RF and back pain, so I wonder if their national health insurance even covers the procedure.

Thank you very much!

made the mistake looking for Japanese Doctor on Yahoo search

i think he owns his own practice.... but still.

yahoo search can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

also, lig, did you adopt a family in tokyo? or do you have adopted family in tokyo?

Prob not helpful at all....

I know two excellent American pain physicians who I would let stick a needle in me almost anywhere. Actually, one of them did the epidural on my wife for our 3rd kid.

Unfortunately, they are in Okinawa.

Double unfortunately, they are military and unlikely able to treat your family. Maybe something could be arranged? Probably a lot easier to fly her to Seattle. Plus, Seattle is so cool.

Prob not helpful at all....

I know two excellent American pain physicians who I would let stick a needle in me almost anywhere. Actually, one of them did the epidural on my wife for our 3rd kid.

Unfortunately, they are in Okinawa.

Double unfortunately, they are military and unlikely able to treat your family. Maybe something could be arranged? Probably a lot easier to fly her to Seattle. Plus, Seattle is so cool.
That's pretty impressive to have 2 pain docs on a military base in Japan...

I agree..."impressive" is not the term I would use.

Marines whine... then they get what they want.
I'd be really careful about saying that. Marines get the shaft compared to damn near every branch of the military. Their equipment, their bases, everything is outdated. They don't even get what the Army has, let alone everything they want.

Friends, I'm in Tokyo Nov 16-Dec2 2015. If any of you have any pain doc connections in the area or are yourself in Tokyo I'm happy to meet up.