Interview and Acceptance Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkplayer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the interview at BUSPM is conducted and what kind of questions are asked?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When you go to BUSPM, you'll have your interview immediately starting off the day [which is a good or bad thing depending on your perspective]. You'll be interviewed by 3 people [the Dean and two faculty members (all of which are DPMs], open-file and they will talk about your GPA, your MCAT score and any other particular deficit that may come up as a red flag. Definitely be prepared to talk about why these red flags exist and something along the lines of what kind of experience you've gotten out of it or why you know it won't happen at their school [they'll ask you this straight up]. Each person will ask around 4-8 questions (30 min interview) and sometimes will bounce questions off one another that they want you to answer. Imo, out of all the interviews I had, they were probably the most direct, however, despite feeling a bit pressured during the interview, try not to sweat it. Part of it is that they want to see how you handle pressure so play it cool. They may also go a little philosophical on you (ex. they saw I took a pscyh motivation course for my minor and they asked what I learned about motivation... and I had to think a bit cuz I took that course literally 3-4yrs ago)

I think Amy said that if you get an interview at BUSPM, you'd have a 75% chance of getting in already (unless I'm remembering another school). I got an acceptance to this school even though I had some rats against my academic cheese so to speak, so if I could get through it, so can you! Good luck!

Thank you so much for your feedback! That was very helpful!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing in January. Let me know what its like! Good luck!! :)

When you go to BUSPM, you'll have your interview immediately starting off the day [which is a good or bad thing depending on your perspective]. You'll be interviewed by 3 people [the Dean and two faculty members (all of which are DPMs], open-file and they will talk about your GPA, your MCAT score and any other particular deficit that may come up as a red flag. Definitely be prepared to talk about why these red flags exist and something along the lines of what kind of experience you've gotten out of it or why you know it won't happen at their school [they'll ask you this straight up]. Each person will ask around 4-8 questions (30 min interview) and sometimes will bounce questions off one another that they want you to answer. Imo, out of all the interviews I had, they were probably the most direct, however, despite feeling a bit pressured during the interview, try not to sweat it. Part of it is that they want to see how you handle pressure so play it cool. They may also go a little philosophical on you (ex. they saw I took a pscyh motivation course for my minor and they asked what I learned about motivation... and I had to think a bit cuz I took that course literally 3-4yrs ago)

I think Amy said that if you get an interview at BUSPM, you'd have a 75% chance of getting in already (unless I'm remembering another school). I got an acceptance to this school even though I had some rats against my academic cheese so to speak, so if I could get through it, so can you! Good luck!

I am currently a 1st year student at Barry and this was my interview experience as well. However, I haven't heard of the 75% chance post-interview. The process is open-file and the committee is direct. I was a bit nerve wracked during my interview because they asked me questions such as why didn't you take your MCAT again? My interview was about 20 minutes. The 2nd years take you on a campus tour and Amy takes you to one of the hospitals after that. Lunch is in the cafeteria. Feel free to PM me if any of you have any questions! I'm not sure why Barry as a whole doesn't have a huge posting presence. I personally peruse SDN only once in awhile.

I am currently a 1st year student at Barry and this was my interview experience as well. However, I haven't heard of the 75% chance post-interview. The process is open-file and the committee is direct. I was a bit nerve wracked during my interview because they asked me questions such as why didn't you take your MCAT again? My interview was about 20 minutes. The 2nd years take you on a campus tour and Amy takes you to one of the hospitals after that. Lunch is in the cafeteria. Feel free to PM me if any of you have any questions! I'm not sure why Barry as a whole doesn't have a huge posting presence. I personally peruse SDN only once in awhile.

Do you remember any other interview questions? My interview is in late January and I am spending from now until then to prepare for it. How did you prepare for it? Did you research the school, look for past interview questions, etc.? Sorry for asking so many questions. Thanks.

Do you remember any other interview questions? My interview is in late January and I am spending from now until then to prepare for it. How did you prepare for it? Did you research the school, look for past interview questions, etc.? Sorry for asking so many questions. Thanks.

I interviewed at Barry and it was my 3rd one. It was just me and another guy. The interview was maybe 20 mins and the day was a bit shorter than the other schools which was nice. I got asked about my favorite class and what challenges i might face. They look at MCAT and mentioned how the BS score correlates with board pass rates. I got asked why apply to Barry vs other schools? The tour at the hospital lets you talk to the residents for at least an hour. I think lunch was almost the last thing we did so get a decent breakfast in. I really liked how the interview was first up, it lets you relax and check out the school the rest of the day.

No worries. I don't particularly remember any other interview questions (besides the generic ones such as why Barry) because that was the only one that made me a bit flustered. They did ask me specific questions such as why I chose to get my MA in English after doing a BS in biology. Review your resume (as obvious as that sounds) since they may ask about certain experiences. Reread your personal statement as well. Yes, research the school and read the mission statement. It never hurts to look at past interview questions. Make sure you have some questions for them as well. After all, you are seeing how well the school fits you. Good luck; you will be fine!

I'm super nervous since it's open file. I have had a tons of hiccups in my education journey. and let's say my MCAT is not impressive. Should I worry? I'm afraid that they will be completely turned off once they look at my file. Biting nails here.

Last edited:
My interview is on 5/19. I'm super nervous since it's open file. I have had a tons of hiccups in my education journey. and let's say my MCAT is not impressive... a 21 -_-. Should I worry? I'm afraid that they will be completely turned off once they look at my file. Biting nails here.
Different person, but I did have my interview at Barry in late January (you can see my previous posts on this thread). From my experience, I hated it. Most likely, the feeling was because of my low MCAT score of 18 (retaking it in 2 weeks) and other factors explained later.

You first start of the day with the interview lasting between 10-30min (based on what I have seen with the other interviewees that was with me). I came in and they have my file laid out with circles around certain parts such as MCAT, gpa, and anything that seems off or confusing. They will directly ask you what's up with so-and-so and why did this happen. Be prepare to defend your gpa (if it is low) and MCAT. I think the turn off for them was that I told them I wasn't going to retake the MCAT (stupid of me). You can definitely feel the atmosphere and for me, it wasn't inviting. I actually felt like they were grilling me for information compared to Scholl's where they were so nice. If you have read the other posts, they (the interviewers) can be a little intimidating.

Basically after the interview, Amy will drive you around the school and clinic giving you a tour. The clinic was actually pretty far than what I expected (5-10miles maybe). Once she drives you back, a current pod student will give you a more thorough tour of the pod school and undergrad school (2 years of learning in the undergrad school and 2 years in the pod school, I think). You guys will finish up with lunch and head off.

What I dislike:
  • The location and area of the pod school.
  • How small the pod school actually is.
  • I didn't feel welcome by the interviewers.
  • The cost of living is pretty high. If you do dorm there, just know that you will be dorming with other non-pod students (possibly undergrad and graduate students) so, there might be some noise disturbance.
  • It feels strange going to podiatry medical school and having classes in an undergrad institution.
Tips for you:
  • If there is still time, try to do a mock interview at your undergrad institution. It will help a lot. I did it twice at my undergrad two weeks before my Barry interview.
  • Be prepare to explain the "hiccups."
  • Be prepare to explain your MCAT score as a safety.
  • Ask questions and make sure it is not something that can be answer from their website.
  • Be prepare to be asked questions that you did not expect (I'm from California and Western is 30 miles north of me. They asked why did I fly all across the US to go to their school).
  • Be able to persuade them why Florida, Miami, and Barry as your desired podiatry school.

Disclaimer: This is from my personal experience and take it with a grain of salt. The best way to know about the school is to see and experience it for yourself. If you want more information or have any more questions, reply to this post and I will try to help.

I interviewed at Barry as well a couple weeks ago. I don't have the best or worst GPA, but a pretty good MCAT. I did not feel intimidated at all, but most of the points said above me are very valid. One question I think that everyone should ask everywhere is: what is the worst part about this school? The general answer was that the first two years sucked at Barry, but that the 3rd and 4th made up for it. So it is just personal preference. Good luck on your interview, and just remember that stress will only make things worse.

PrePodDoc; Did you ever get accepted to any POD school??? It seems to me to "bash" one of the 9 schools on an open internet forum is quite risky. I believe all the schools watch these sites. So, you should think before posting. But if you received an 18 on your MCAT that might explain a few issues??? You are fortunate to receive interviews with an 18 score. And than to say you would not retake it - was a poor response. Please inform us, lurkers, here of SDN if you were successful in obtaining a position.. Good Luck Dr B

Reactions: 1 user
PrePodDoc; Did you ever get accepted to any POD school??? It seems to me to "bash" one of the 9 schools on an open internet forum is quite risky. I believe all the schools watch these sites. So, you should think before posting. But if you received an 18 on your MCAT that might explain a few issues??? You are fortunate to receive interviews with an 18 score. And than to say you would not retake it - was a poor response. Please inform us, lurkers, here of SDN if you were successful in obtaining a position.. Good Luck Dr B

I think the post shows that the interview process at Temple is made to make the interviewee uncomfortable at times. That type of environment can weed out a few candidates.

I don't think that schools care too much about what is said on the sites. They know that those who are serious candidates will contact the schools themselves and won't make a serious decision based merely on opinions from SDN.

As far as I could tell, he just stated what he liked & disliked on his interview day. That is hardly 'bashing'. Now if he had started slamming the school like he had an agenda, or started spreading rumors then that'd be another story.

I interviewed at Barry about a month ago. I loved the entire experience, people were very friendly and the school was nice and fresh looking.

Yeah it was a bit scary when they said the interview was going to be the first thing on the agenda, but at the same time it made the rest of the day more enjoyable. I also had 3 people interviewing me, but I didn't find it bad at all. I knew they were going to ask about my GPA because it is on the low side, but my MCAT score was decent so that made up for it I think. I feel Barry places a lot more emphasis on MCAT scores as the Dean (although I think he's stepping down soon?) informed me they have found a strong correlation between the BS section and how a student will perform throughout the curriculum and on the boards.

Basically you just need to know how to answer questions in a way that makes you sound confident. When addressing your faults, make sure you provide some insight on how you have worked to improve on them. The one thing I found tricky was maintaining eye contact with all the interviewers as it's very easy to only focus on the person who asked you the question. Also make sure you have a handful of questions you want to ask at the end, this is essential. The interview lasts 30 minutes but about half of it will be devoted to your questions and they expect you to have them as it shows you did your homework. Overall though I was impressed with the interview process, very professional. So long as you stay calm under pressure it will go fine. My Temple interview...I'm sorry but it was a joke. It was super laid back, but the interviewer barely asked me anything about my academics. Most of the interview was about non-podiatry related stuff.

Greetings Dr. B,

As to acceptance to pod schools, I am currently on hold with one that is waiting for my retake MCAT scores. Yes, I know my MCAT was very low and that's why I mentioned that it was "stupid" of me to mention I wasn't going to retake it. I am currently studying ever since that interview to retake it and earn at least 5 points higher. I am fortunate to receive a couple of interviews and grateful for that. However, getting an interview is not the end of it.

I am fully aware of what I post to this website and what could be used against me. I am careful in my wording and try to avoid any conflict. All I stated was my interview experience which can differ with others. I give others an idea from a student with a low MCAT and what to expect. There is also a disclaimer at the end to take my information with a grain of salt.

As for lurkers that are curious. I am retaking my MCAT next Saturday. If I do well, I will matriculate to pod school in Fall 2014. If I don't do so well, I will start my post-bacc in Fall and apply again in January when I get my first semester grades. It may not improve my gpa but it will show the pod schools that I can handle their curriculum. Also, I will consider if I should retake it again based on the score and feedback from the schools of this cycle.

For applicants, never give up if podiatry is what you want to do. If you have to take a detour, take it if it means you will be happy after 4 years of learning and 3 years of residency. Don't forget about the post-bacc or Masters programs that can help your application if you need to prove it to the pod schools. There are many ways to get into pod schools, just search for them.

Wish you the best future applicants and a bright future Dr. B.

-PrePodDoc

Thanks for all the remarks and responses. But posting anything on these open forums can effect you, just take that as a word of advise. If you understood my use of " marks surround the term bashing,
as a tongue in cheek effect. But seriously you NEVER know who is watching or reading.
And yes in part I felt your statements were strong, ie (I wasn't going to retake the MCAT (stupid of me). You can definitely feel the atmosphere and for me, it wasn't inviting. I actually felt like they were grilling me..). Yes these are your personal opinions but there are ONLY 9 POD schools, to consciously eliminate one of them by your personal opinions posted in an open forum really decreases and hinders your chances. That is all I am saying.
Good luck on the MCAT re take, hit a 26 and you are in for sure....