Interview at a new residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fhs08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Advice needed- I am an international medical graduate. I received an interview offer at a program I am really hoping to match at. The program is brand new and had its inaugural class start in July 2014. Currently I am doing an observership, they offered me the interview halfway through. My question is since the program is so new, what concerns or questions should I bring when interviewed? I am very much interested in this program and I want to show that.

Also, I passed my USMLE Step 1 at second attempt. I was able to redeem myself (or at least I hope they realize that) with a much higher score the second time. I am certain I will be asked what happened. I know the logical response is be honest- I took the exam under a lot of stress even though I was not ready to take it. I also finished only half of USMLE world underestimating its importance, hence suffered. Does that seem like an appropriate response? Anything else I should elaborate on?

Members don't see this ad.

Skip the part about only doing half of USMLE world. That is lame. You should have prepared for the test.

Agree with logical and honest otherwise.

Concerns for new program. #1. Who is supervising you? #2. Educational model - who is teaching you?
You don't have to care about all the other crap about program requirements, but you should be crystal clear (esp having worked there) about how teams will be constructed and education accomplished without seniors.

You have no concerns. You WERE concerned about the supervision/education before the rotation but now you are totally amazed at the Oslerian attendings, cohesive residents and motivated support staff. You couldn't imagine a better place to train.

USMLE answer: you didn't formally prepare the first time and that was obviously a mistake as the style of the exam was totally different than what you'd experienced. You prepared for the second exam for a couple of months by doing some questions and working on areas you realized were weak.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have no concerns. You WERE concerned about the supervision/education before the rotation but now you are totally amazed at the Oslerian attendings, cohesive residents and motivated support staff. You couldn't imagine a better place to train.

USMLE answer: you didn't formally prepare the first time and that was obviously a mistake as the style of the exam was totally different than what you'd experienced. You prepared for the second exam for a couple of months by doing some questions and working on areas you realized were weak.
Damn you're good.

As an img with a step 1 failure you shouldn't have any concerns about any program

Reactions: 1 user
As an img with a step 1 failure you shouldn't have any concerns about any program

Agree with ^^

if you have better options, then it's fair to raise concerns ... otherwise, your goal should be to match ..anywhere ... because if you don't match, there isn't a whole heck of a lot you can do to match next year ...

Lol. Too many years in the military. I guess I learned how to tell people what they want to hear. I'm not sure it's something to admire or be proud of.
Probably a very successful trait in academic medicine in general. Takes a while to culture it though.