interview attire for ladies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I tried on a skirt suit today and looked horrible in it. I prefer pants.

What does everyone wear to interviews and why? Is it expected for women to wear skirts?

Members don't see this ad.

Pants are fine. In fact, I daresay the majority of female interviewees wear pants and not skirts.

If your aiming for an acceptacne.....wear a skirt....unless your fat then go with the moo-moo.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
While we are on the issue, what are everyone's thoughts on hair styles for interviews. If you have long hair does it look unprofessional if you leave it down? Ponytail or bun? I know it is a really dumb question.

Oh yeah, as for pants, I always go with pants. Then you are more comfortable and you don't have to worry about people seeing your underwear.:D

Here is an excellent thread on this topic covering everything you could need to about what to wear.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=315372&highlight=women's+suits

Cliffnotes are:

Purses are ok.
Hair down is fine as long as it looks neat and isn't in your face and you don't play with it.
Skirts or suit doesn't matter as long as you're confident, professional and decently comfortable. The majority of women do wear black pant suits. This doesn't mean this is the only way or the best way. It is just a current trend.

just go with whatever suit / hairstyle is neat and makes you feel comfortable with how you look. if you're comfortable with your appearance then it can't possible detract from your interview performance. interviewers don't really care all that much about the specifics unless you really stand out as being unprofessional.

I look terrible in suit skirts too. It's strange, I couldn't believe it because I like skirts... maybe the particular one I tried was cut strangely... anyways, I wore pants to all my interviews.

I think strictly black suits are for funerals... get one with pinstripes at least and you'll still be able to wear it to a funeral as well as an interview.

Hair should be up. Especially long, long, long hair or bigger curly hair. You just look better. In doubt about the hair length, put it up.

Hair down is fine as long as it looks neat and isn't in your face and you don't play with it.
Skirts or suit doesn't matter as long as you're confident, professional and decently comfortable. The majority of women do wear black pant suits. This doesn't mean this is the only way or the best way. It is just a current trend.

Exactly. I had long hair and cut it short for interviews, but that was only because I *knew* I played with my hair when nervous and I hated the way it looked up (and I was overdue for a hairstyle change anyway). I also wore a skirt suit, but again that was only because, for me, I felt that the skirt was more flattering than the pants (and my interviews were in the fall, so I didn't have to worry about winter weather).

All that matters is that you look professional, are comfortable, and that *you* feel you look good so you have that extra boost in self-confidence. You don't want to be distracted by painful high-heels, or feeling you're under-dressed, or hating your hair/glasses/suit....you just want to feel good and focus on the interview.

Hey guys, some more opinions on this hair issue would be great.

My hair is long. Really really long. Down to my hips long. It's very straight, black, and fairly thick. It's also pretty well kept - it's not straggly or uneven at the ends.

Is it okay for me to wear it down? Personally, I think it's most flattering down - for my face shape. I don't play with my hair, but I do brush it back with my hand every now and then. I also have issues with putting it up because there is just so MUCH of it. It would be a very heavy bun on my head, or I would have to do something else...what, I don't know. If I shouldn't wear it down, what should I do with it?

Thanks guys.

~Silk and Steel

My hair is long. Really really long. Down to my hips long. It's very straight, black, and fairly thick. It's also pretty well kept - it's not straggly or uneven at the ends.

Is it okay for me to wear it down? Personally, I think it's most flattering down - for my face shape. I don't play with my hair, but I do brush it back with my hand every now and then. I also have issues with putting it up because there is just so MUCH of it. It would be a very heavy bun on my head, or I would have to do something else...what, I don't know. If I shouldn't wear it down, what should I do with it?

Thanks guys.

~Silk and Steel

Do whatevery YOU are comfortable with. It really doesn't matter as long as its neat and you don't play with it.

I have very curly hair 3/4 down my back. I pulled part of it up in a bun and the wore the rest down because I was more comfortable that way (less fretting about frizzies or worrying about it being in my face). But if you're more comfy with it down and it won't be in your face then I say wear it down.

Thanks guys.

~Silk and Steel

A low ponytail would be another suggestion.

Thanks guys.

~Silk and Steel

Wow, that's long hair. Really, really long hair. I would probably put it up just because it might be a distraction. Generally it's seen as more professional to have either shorter hair or hair that is pulled back. Try experimenting with different styles and see if you can find one that works.

Thanks guys.

~Silk and Steel

Honestly, I plan on cutting my hair short when i get to M3 and M4 anyways, who wants to be working as a dr with hair getting in the way all the time?

You might want to stop and think about what you are going to do with that hair (It sounds beautiful by the way!) when you are practicing?

Honestly, I plan on cutting my hair short when i get to M3 and M4 anyways, who wants to be working as a dr with hair getting in the way all the time?

You might want to stop and think about what you are going to do with that hair (It sounds beautiful by the way!) when you are practicing?

There are so many ways to put it up. Especially if she has thick hair that takes clips well. That I don't think she needs to worry about it if she doesn't want to. I have long hair for the first time in my life. Should be down to my butt by the middle of M1 or so. And I plan to let it keep going, I'll just toss it up into clips and buns and braids when working in the clinic.

But I'm a stubborn person and I think in a way my hair is one of the few parts of my life med school can't touch. Everyone makes it sound like you really have no life and they control when you eat, sleep, and ****. But they can't make me cut my hair. And I can still "let my hair down" when I'm not being a doctor ;)

But I'm a stubborn person and I think in a way my hair is one of the few parts of my life med school can't touch. Everyone makes it sound like you really have no life and they control when you eat, sleep, and ****. But they can't make me cut my hair. And I can still "let my hair down" when I'm not being a doctor ;)

I kind of agree. I've always had really long hair because it grows so gosh darned fast. The shortest I ever had it was shoulder length - I cut it right at the end of a summer break and many people didn't even recognize me at first. I liked it, but it just wasn't really me. My long hair has sort of become my signature. It makes me, in many ways, memorable.

I'm comfortable with it down. I think I look too young with it in a ponytail. The issue with buns is that, with walking around on a tour, my hair tends to unravel from a bun due to its weight unless it's full of hairspray/pins - which is just a hassle. But it's workable. Hmm, maybe I could use a hairstick. What do you guys think of an ornate hairstick? I can also experiment with clips.

But honestly I just like it down.:rolleyes: I'm willing to put it up for an interview, but if it doesn't matter that much, I prefer it down. I'm just trying to gauge whether or not it's going to matter, as long as it's neat and I'm comfortable/not distracted.

~Silk and Steel

Thanks! :) I don't know what I'll do with it then - maybe ponytail, maybe clips. I've always liked french twists but there's too much of a tail at the end to tuck. It's just that, for the interview, since there's no practical reason (ie patients) to pull it up I'd prefer it down, as long as it doesn't make that much of a difference to the interviewer.

~Silk and Steel

my hair is pretty long.. i put it in a low bun even though i look better with it down. just so it would be out of the way and no temptation to play with it!

i think as long as it isn't in your face it would be 'professional'.. maybe pin some away from your face or tie half of it back? you have a lot of options. but defintely play with it beforehand so you're having to figure it out morning of the interview

also for those of you who have long hair and plan on chopping it off before medschool/during - donate it! groups like 'locks of love' and 'wigs for kids' take 10-12'' :)

to the 2 interviews i went to- most girls wore pant suits including me and there were few who wore skirt suits