Interview Attire question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazypsychstudent

Clinical Psychology (Psy.D.) Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize for creating another thread so soon, but I have anther important question! On here and in the Insider's Guide, it said to wear a light colored top for the interview. However, I have this really nice outfit, black skirt and red top. It's a dark red, not a bright red. Would that be okay?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a black blazer or suit jacket to wear with the outfit? And is the skirt no shorter than knee length? If so, I think it's probably fine.

If you have a trusted advisor or coworker who can weigh in, I suggest getting their opinion. Actually, I would suggest that for all interviewees, even those who are wearing the standard black suit with light shirt. I was working as a research assistant when I applied, and our supervisor had all applicants wear our interview outfits to work one day so that we could get feedback from staff. It may sound like overkill, but it was super helpful.

I apologize for creating another thread so soon, but I have anther important question! On here and in the Insider's Guide, it said to wear a light colored top for the interview. However, I have this really nice outfit, black skirt and red top. It's a dark red, not a bright red. Would that be okay?

My top in cranberry (worn with black suit) and I received a compliment from an interviewer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a black blazer or suit jacket to wear with the outfit? And is the skirt no shorter than knee length? If so, I think it's probably fine.

If you have a trusted advisor or coworker who can weigh in, I suggest getting their opinion. Actually, I would suggest that for all interviewees, even those who are wearing the standard black suit with light shirt. I was working as a research assistant when I applied, and our supervisor had all applicants wear our interview outfits to work one day so that we could get feedback from staff. It may sound like overkill, but it was super helpful.
The skirt goes just above my knee. Is that alright?

Perhaps a dumb question, but may I ask why a light coloured top is specifically recommended?

Dark red is a lovely color and you can top it with a black or grey blazer for your interview.

I have a nice "South of Brighton"/ Doctor Who outfit that I have gotten rave reviews about. :p

I don't know why they would specifically recommend wearing a light color, maybe just for contrast LOL didn't know these books provided fashion advice? but i think a cranberry top sounds perfectly appropriate. i would make sure you have a blazer to go over it though personally because most people will be wearing suits.

The skirt goes just above my knee. Is that alright?

You need to check how high it rises when you sit. Probably if the skirt is shorter than knee length when standing, it will be very short when seated.

I am a tall girl 5'9" and essentially all my skirts hit slightly above my knee due to the length of my legs. I haven't noticed an issue with this before but is that something interviewers could potentially notice? Does anybody actually care?

I am a tall girl 5'9" and essentially all my skirts hit slightly above my knee due to the length of my legs. I haven't noticed an issue with this before but is that something interviewers could potentially notice? Does anybody actually care?

We aren't nuns in a convent school. Just look profesional, thats all.

For interview weekends with multiple events (tours, meetings, etc.) scheduled before and after the actual faculty interviews, what is the standard dress code? I'm bringing a suit for the interviews themselves, but am planning on wearing just a regular pair of pants and a button down shirt for the campus tour scheduled with faculty a day before the interview. Does that seem reasonable?

For interview weekends with multiple events (tours, meetings, etc.) scheduled before and after the actual faculty interviews, what is the standard dress code? I'm bringing a suit for the interviews themselves, but am planning on wearing just a regular pair of pants and a button down shirt for the campus tour scheduled with faculty a day before the interview. Does that seem reasonable?
Yes.

I remember interviewing someone for our doc program and by the end of the day he was being referred to by everyone as "green vest guy".

Don't be a green vest guy.

Reactions: 5 users
The color of your attire doesn't matter any more than anything else, unless you make it so.