Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galen13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just writing to see what everyone has decided to wear for their interview. I have both a nice black business suit with light brown pin-strips, and also a nice black pants and shirt combo. I don't know which would be better. So just asking around.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just writing to see what everyone has decided to wear for their interview. I have both a nice black business suit with light brown pin-strips, and also a nice black pants and shirt combo. I don't know which would be better. So just asking around.

I'm going with a black pant suit, and a red/blue/green/teal/orange/yellow striped blouse underneath. And black flats. I don't do heels.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going with a black pant suit, and a red/blue/green/teal/orange/yellow striped blouse underneath. And black flats. I don't do heels.

Yeah I think I'm going to go with the suit... because it's a bit more formal and nice... and some 1inch black pumps

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a nice suit. It is black and I got a couple of nice blouses...a deep purple and a light blue. I am just not sure which shirt I am going to wear since they both look nice. I think your suit would work out just fine. Now if I could just not be nervous about my interview. :scared:

i can't even read this thread...i have NO suit still...been looking for a week. i'm more nervous about that than the interview itself right now. lol. if you are lucky enough to have a suit already (grrr) i'd say wear the suit! good luck to everyone on their upcoming interviews!!

i can't even read this thread...i have NO suit still...been looking for a week. i'm more nervous about that than the interview itself right now. lol. if you are lucky enough to have a suit already (grrr) i'd say wear the suit! good luck to everyone on their upcoming interviews!!

You will find a suit soon. I found mine at Kohl's...on clearance. :D It cost me about $100-$125 for my entire suit...including shoes. Which also makes my bank account extremely happy.

haha... I got this suit in my sophomore year of high school... and it still fits... even better now.

You don't always have to wear a suit. I had a friend who wore a nice shirt and pants combo to her Ohio interview... she got in... so obviously suits aren't that important. But just keep looking and I'm sure you'll find one.

I got mine at Ann Taylor Loft. I'm apparently built weird and nothing else fit right, so I needed separate pieces.
My friend found hers at Express, but it cost her a small fortune. I think mine was about 175, including the blouse.

I have a friend who got a couple suits at Macy's for good prices. I LOVE the Limited (I also worked there for a year) so I have one from there that is probably too skinny for me at the moment, so I'll be out this week or next shopping!
I'm planning on wearing a dark suit, probably black with a pinstripe, or possibly dark grey with a lighter stripe (looks great with a blue shirt).

I got mine at Ann Taylor Loft. I'm apparently built weird and nothing else fit right, so I needed separate pieces.
My friend found hers at Express, but it cost her a small fortune. I think mine was about 175, including the blouse.

I got my previous one at Ann Taylor Loft as well. I weighed about 105lbs and it's the only place I could find anything that fit right! The department stores only went down to size 4, which basically translated to "might as well be wearing a sack." It was expensive, sad to say. I sold it to someone on the forum (that doesn't post much) and they told me they loved it, so it's being put to good use.

My more current 120lb self found an Express suit at a local store that gets overstock and out of season stuff from other stores. Usually (like 95% of the time) it's junk, so it was amazing when they got a shipment of Express stuff. All the tags are crossed out with a permanent marker, lol. But, I got my suit for about $100 even - half of what it would normally cost. Pure luck (and, I bought it last September).

Keep looking! Maybe if you can find what works in the store at one of these expensive places, you can order online and save money that way (with a coupon or something)? Microsoft Bing is no Google, but it does have a lot of discount codes - be sure to check there. :)

Hi everyone!

I've been to interviews already this year and have been to vet school interviews previously (this is my second time applying). Most people do wear suits, so make sure you are dressed up enough that you don't feel under-dressed. Not that anyone on here is dumb enough to do this, but last time I had an interview, a woman wore "nice" jeans and a blouse and her interviewers chastized her for not taking her interview seriously.

Also, another thing I've noticed that's certainly not critical, but something to think about. Most people wear black suits, which are wonderful and I wore a black suit last year, but anyone wearing a color other than black tends to stand out alot. The way I figure, anything you can do to make yourself stand out and get noticed is probably a good thing when hundreds of people are interviewing. Just my two cents! I have a medium-grey suit for this year's interviews and I love it!

Good luck on all your interviews!!

love ann taylor! i got my suit there too and i had to buy separates because im 2 sizes smaller on top than bottom haha i have a green shirt and black shoes with 1 inch heel/platform so i wont be tripping or having balancing issues!

I tried J.Crew, Banana Republic and Ann Taylor, but couldn't find any jackets that worked with my broad, hulkish shoulders. I got my suit at Macy's (50% off - woot!) because I miraculously found one that fit my shoulders and had tolerable pants. It's medium-dark grey with faint pinstripes. I have a grey pinstriped blouse from I want to say J.Crew. I had to get a size 10 to be able to move my arms and have my mom alter it so that it wasn't like I was wearing a circus tent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a suit that I love from a BCBG outlet. Outlet stores are great, I only spent $100 on it instead of it's original 400+ pricetag. :eek: So check those for sure!

Also, I know shoes that show toes are considered unacceptable, but how about the heel? I have a pair of oxford slingbacks I'd love to wear but I'm not sure if they're kosher.

I just got a suit that I love from a BCBG outlet. Outlet stores are great, I only spent $100 on it instead of it's original 400+ pricetag. :eek: So check those for sure!

Also, I know shoes that show toes are considered unacceptable, but how about the heel? I have a pair of oxford slingbacks I'd love to wear but I'm not sure if they're kosher.

I think they'd be ok personally, as long as you're comfortable in them.

Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing. Thanks for the feedback guys!

I too love Ann Taylor for suits. It was the ONLY place I was able to find a suit to fit my too long legs and too long arms. Their suits can be a bit more expensive but the fact that you can piece it together and generally try several different fits of pants/jackets helps to find the perfect combo. Their suits are very well made too.

Not that it matters for me because I haven't received an interview invite, but when you guys say "suits" do you mean a pants suit or a skirt suit? Which would be more formal?

It was the ONLY place I was able to find a suit to fit my too long legs and too long arms.

hehe is that why your name is "OliveOyl"?

Not that it matters for me because I haven't received an interview invite, but when you guys say "suits" do you mean a pants suit or a skirt suit? Which would be more formal?

I think it's a matter of personal preference.

I've seen both and people look nice in either type of suit.

I bought both a pant suit and a skirt suit this year because they both fit me nicely so I figured now I have one of each I can wear.

For my UPenn interview I wore the pant suit because it was cooooold. If the weather was going to be slightly warmer I'd consider wearing the skirt suit, which is still a wool suit so it wouldn't be so bad.

Just a matter of personal taste.

I found a suit!!! I also found a shirt and shoes. What a relief to have that part of the interview process complete. :)

Way to go Rileyroo!!! Good Luck on the rest of the interview process!! :luck:

thanks!! you too. now i can try and focus on getting some school work done. i was stressing for a week, and it all came together today. i can breathe a little easier now. :D

thanks!! you too. now i can try and focus on getting some school work done. i was stressing for a week, and it all came together today. i can breathe a little easier now. :D

I haven't been able to focus on school either...it is so hard when I know I have a very important part of my future coming up so quickly. Maybe now that I have my plans made I will be able to focus. :prof: ---> :idea:

for those of you who are flying to interviews, how are you transporting your suits?

i was thinking in a hanging garment bag and asking them to hang it up front in the plane?

didn't know if anyone else had any other suggestions. i also have a very heavy coat as i'm traveling north so hopefully that can fit too.

for those of you who are flying to interviews, how are you transporting your suits?

i was thinking in a hanging garment bag and asking them to hang it up front in the plane?

didn't know if anyone else had any other suggestions. i also have a very heavy coat as i'm traveling north so hopefully that can fit too.

I've been debating that.
I don't want to check a bag, so I'm thinking I have my laptop bag and my carryon--square suitcase on wheels. I think, if I do it right, I should be able to "roll" the suit into the carryon so that it doesn't wrinkle too much?

First interview is kind of my "test" on that, since I'm staying with a friend and will have access to all kinds of "de-wrinkling" tricks if needed.

I would do a garment bag, but then I'd have to check a suitcase. I could potentially put my laptop in the suitcase, but then it's a pain to get it out for security, and and all that.
So I don't know? I havent flown in like 5 years either, so that doesnt help.

I packed mine carefully at the top of my suitcase with some tissue paper between the folds to minimize creasing. When I got to my hotel, I hung it up in the bathroom and turned the shower on nice and hot, stuck a towel under the door, and the wrinkles fell right out. Good luck.

I packed mine carefully at the top of my suitcase with some tissue paper between the folds to minimize creasing. When I got to my hotel, I hung it up in the bathroom and turned the shower on nice and hot, stuck a towel under the door, and the wrinkles fell right out. Good luck.

omg that is an excellent idea. thanks so much!!

The best way to de-wrinkle a garment if you don't have an iron is to spray it with a water bottle and then wipe it down with your hand. Or just wet it down a bit and let it dry. The hot shower works in the same way!

Garment bags usually do okay even when checked... my husband put his suit in one and checked it... and got married in it the next day. So I hope it looked good enough for an interview. ;) He was wearing flip flops though...

Depends on what your suit is made of, but i have one that is very business travel friendly and does not wrinkle. With the cost of friggin checking luggage these days, i would pack it in my suit case, not bring an extra garment bag (they will not typically have room to hang it in the front and it will be smushed in an overhead baggage compartment) and deal with any wrinkles upon arrival. Either an iron or the ole shower-steam-out will work. Just be careful of those hotel irons....half of them are total crap and will spit crud on your gorgeous new shirt. Do a test run on a hotel towel first. I have ruined a many clothes in a hotel.

A nice alternative to a suit if you don't have one is a dressy sweater with a collered shirt underneath and dress slacks. ie. I have a black silk v-neck sweater that I wear with a blouse underneath and pinstriped slacks.

One other note: IMO, for women at least, if you can't find a good suit that fits you well, you're probably better off wearing a suit-alternative. I personally think that an ill-fitting suit can actually make people look younger and less professional. But that's also because I'm petite and most suits swallow me whole :) I end up looking like a tiny head sticking out a big black mess.

I think that pants are more professional, plus you don't have to worry about runs in stockings and skirt length. For ironing, you should bring an old pillowcase from home to put between your suit and the hotel iron. And no watches because you don't want to be looking at it during the interview.

I didn't realize how many females there were on this forum until I started reading this post. Hah!

Personally, I'm just wearing khaki pants, my Doc Marten boots, and a nice button up shirt. I'm not a formal guy at ALL, and I don't feel I should pretend that I am just for an interview. ;)

I think that pants are more professional, plus you don't have to worry about runs in stockings and skirt length. For ironing, you should bring an old pillowcase from home to put between your suit and the hotel iron. And no watches because you don't want to be looking at it during the interview.

crampin' my style with the name....grrrr. jk ;)

I think that pants are more professional, plus you don't have to worry about runs in stockings and skirt length.

I just want to offer the opposite opinion. I actually think that prominent women (I am really only thinking of Hillary, maybe Ellen DeGeneres) have only in the past few years brought an acceptance of the pant suit as equally formal when compared to the skirt suit. I would wear whichever makes you feel more confident/comfortable.

I'll be wearing a pant suit to my interviews. Which I swear I am going to shop for this weekend. For me it's more comfortable - I hardly ever wear skirts, so wearing a skirt suit would result in me being uncomfortable and self-conscious (even more than I already will be!) on interview days. No thanks!
Plus I have a tattoo on my leg which is visible unless I've got dark, opaque tights on, so I figure I should probably keep that covered. ;)

I have to agree that you can get by with pants or skirt. I wore a skirt for all of mine (with a tatoo on my leg showing), but I am personally feel better in a skirt. Also, if ya'll have time, I highly suggest that you get your suit tailored. You can always tell when someone has had their suit tailored b/c it looks as though it was made for them. Some tailor shops can do it in 24 hours. Just make sure that you go to a reputable tailor.

hehe is that why your name is "OliveOyl"?

:laugh: Yea, that would be it. I have one costume contests when I dress up as Olive Oyl. . . especially if my "Popeye" husband is with me!

:laugh: Yea, that would be it. I have one costume contests when I dress up as Olive Oyl. . . especially if my "Popeye" husband is with me!

lol my 2 friends dressed up at them this year!! they looked awesome, very tempting to post it haha but im sure they wouldnt want their photo floating around the net

What, seriously? Lol. You guys are so outnumbered.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I know perfectly well that the industry is dominated by women. I just didn't realize how few guys there were on these forums in particular. :p

Well, there's hopefulag, David, eventualeventer, dickvetplease, nexx, bill... um...

oh wow there was a surprise in there for me! hahaha good thing i found out in case we talk during an interview! I try not to label people on the forum but its hard to not assume everyone is female (until you read something that guarantees a gender)

as always, thanks twelvetigers!

rewind... i looked at the profile of the person i was surprised to be male, they do say "female" on their profile lol *phew* that was very odd picturing a male for the person i always pictured as female haha

Well, there's hopefulag, David, eventualeventer, dickvetplease, nexx, bill... um... Jpererman, bruinvetman, canis, quantized?

I just cracked up in the middle of my office.

I probably shouldnt admit that I'm not a dude though-it's part of my cover! I spend most of my time working with and hanging around with guys though, so I'm really rather flattered someone thought I was one of the bro club! Can I be an honorary member at least? I swear I can keep up on tequila shots and I get really worked up over euro football!

I just cracked up in the middle of my office.

I probably shouldnt admit that I'm not a dude though-it's part of my cover! I spend most of my time working with and hanging around with guys though, so I'm really rather flattered someone thought I was one of the bro club! Can I be an honorary member at least? I swear I can keep up on tequila shots and I get really worked up over euro football!

hahaha ok there are at least 2 females on that list!! i am sad i can not be an honorary member because i love being part of the guys :) i guess i give it away with my smilie faces and talking about hating to wear heels. But without my smilies, people tend to think my comments are rude/too blunt when they aren't meant to be :D

ROFL well it was loosely based on something in another thread about suits, and you were there by the question mark for a reason haha.

Quantized = chick.

Who else am I wrong about, eventual?

ETA: Uh huh, the "professional wise guy" is NOT a guy. Misleading!

Eventualeventer = chick

Also, THEOHIO2012 (or something like that) is male, and I would like to ask bardsle1 - male or female?

Last edited:
crampin' my style with the name....grrrr. jk ;)

sorry rileyroo, not trying to cramp your style but Riley is my dog's name so of course i have to use his name and picture! And Rileys rock! :)