Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are fitted pants okay? They are suit pants but they are fitted around my legs.

Also I'm having trouble with what blouses are acceptable. I know nothing low cut, but does it need to be crew neck or as long as there is no cleavage is it okay?
There's a difference between fitted and too tight! I'd say as long as nothing is hanging out, you're good.
Also, blazers have to be closed or is left open okay?
I would think that a closed blazer looks more polished, but that likely isn't a huge deal at all.
And last question for now, does everything have to be tucked in?
I suppose it depends on the shirt. In most cases, yes, tuck it in. If it's a short blouse, you might be fine. If it ends up longer than your blazer, it would look odd if it wasn't tucked in.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a difference between fitted and too tight! I'd say as long as nothing is hanging out, you're good.

I would think that a closed blazer looks more polished, but that likely isn't a huge deal at all.

I suppose it depends on the shirt. In most cases, yes, tuck it in. If it's a short blouse, you might be fine. If it ends up longer than your blazer, it would look odd if it wasn't tucked in.

Thank you for the input! I'll probably post pictures later. I'm not happy with anything I originally ordered, so I gotta try again. Only less than 2 weeks away now...getting stressed.

Thank you for the input! I'll probably post pictures later. I'm not happy with anything I originally ordered, so I gotta try again. Only less than 2 weeks away now...getting stressed.
I'm always happy to give my opinions! I like to think I have good fashion sense, even though I always wear my bummy clothes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Full potential outfit and a side view of the pants to asses if they are too tight :confused:
imgur.com/SXi5wDC
imgur.com/hkZUiDZ
:rofl:

Okay, I'll be serious.

The lighting makes it kinda hard to tell! It's not like you're wearing leggings or anything suuuper tight. I personally don't think the pants are too tight, but if you have any doubts yourself, don't stick with the outfit. The last thing you want to worry about during an interview is your pants.

Reactions: 1 user
:rofl:

Okay, I'll be serious.

The lighting makes it kinda hard to tell! It's not like you're wearing leggings or anything suuuper tight. I personally don't think the pants are too tight, but if you have any doubts yourself, don't stick with the outfit. The last thing you want to worry about during an interview is your pants.

Whoops. To be honest I did that in one of the drafts my capstone paper too because I'm clearly really smart.
Yeah you're right about the lighting, sorry. And I think my gut is telling me to find something else, so I'll be back here later :p.

One of my interview invites specifically says "business casual." To me that means no suits...do you agree?

I read somewhere that skirts are "unprofessional". What is your take on it? I prefer skirts and I would love to wear a skirt suit vs the more masculine pant suit.

I read somewhere that skirts are "unprofessional". What is your take on it? I prefer skirts and I would love to wear a skirt suit vs the more masculine pant suit.
What!? Skirt suits are considered the most conservative... Pant suits are scandalous for some very conservative people.

"Skirt" is a pretty widely encompassing term. Some would be very professional and some .... Well ....

Well, we have this
Free-Shipping-Casual-Short-sleeved-Short-skirt-Dress-Sexy-club-wd-fs-dress-5CA0002.jpg

And this:
image1xxl.jpg

Big difference there.

Members don't see this ad :)

I read that skirts are unprofessional on A&M's interview guidelines. I do not agree with this at all though, lots of women in the professional world wear skirts!

That first one is adorable and I would rock that. Even to a vet school interview.

Interestingly enough, I found that by googling "club skirt". Not going to lie though, I would never wear that to an interview. lol.

The skirt's maybe a little short, but besides that, I actually don't see anything wrong with it, even for an interview. Maybe I'm weird. ;)

Yeah, the skirt is definitely too short. I just don't see the top being professional enough. I definitely think it makes you stand out, however.

Also, when i searched club wear, there were definitely some outfits I thought about putting in place of that. But I thought I would get black listed for breaking TOS. lol.

I don't think a skirt is inherently unprofessional, either. I think it changes depending on how you wear it. You can take that knee length pencil skirt and look very polished and professional. You can take the same skirt and look like you're dressed up as a sexy librarian for Halloween.

Some people also think it's unprofessional/scandalous to go without pantyhose. So yeah.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1451598604.162575.jpg
JcPenneys is having great sales right now on suit separates. I got the jacket, skirt, and shoes for $75.

Reactions: 1 users
Note: the jacket pictured obviously doesn't fit me well, I had to order a different size, but point being, great suit, great price!

Note: the jacket pictured obviously doesn't fit me well, I had to order a different size, but point being, great suit, great price!

Great finds! I like the dark grey. Also a big fan of your shoes. :D

Last edited:
JcPenneys is having great sales right now on suit separates. I got the jacket, skirt, and shoes for $75.

Great price! Funny story...I purchased a few suit sets(8p, 10p, 12p) because I didn't know which size I was and each set was only $69. It turns out I am an oddly mismatched size kind of person, I wear an 8p jacket and a 12p pants and so I am left with a pair of 8p pants that I didn't even try to squeeze into, and a 12p jacket that is wayyy too big for me. They're really nice, if anyone is interested I'll probably put them on Ebay soon or sell them to someone here. I can't return them because of course they came in a set. They are Tahari navy pinstripe http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.co...-Pantsuit-Petite-110074071.aspx?h=66376,57055

omg...I'm having attachment issues....what else is new.

Attachments

• IMG_20160102_1113512_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20160102_1113512_rewind.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 124
Hello all! I have a question on color...
I have black pants, a white blouse, and a blush colored jacket. The jacket fits me really well and looks good with the rest of the outfit, but I'm worried that some may view the color as unprofessional. Opinions? TIA!

I have black pants, a white blouse, and a blush colored jacket. The jacket fits me really well and looks good with the rest of the outfit, but I'm worried that some may view the color as unprofessional. Opinions? TIA!
Personally, I think that if it fits well, it's not toooo extravagant (like a zebra suit or something haha), and you're comfortable in it, then go ahead and wear it! I know there is a worry about "standing out in a bad way," but if you're sensible about it there is nothing wrong with a splash of color, and I think that your outfit still very easily fits under "professional" attire.

What do you guys think about this outfit?! I wore it to one interview already and got accepted, so it obviously can't be that bad, but I'm not sure if I should wear it again to the next interview that I have!

Attachments

• IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 176
What do you guys think about this outfit?! I wore it to one interview already and got accepted, so it obviously can't be that bad, but I'm not sure if I should wear it again to the next interview that I have!
Cute! As long as your outfit isn't obviously inappropriate or makes you stand out in a bad way, no one will notice what you're wearing. I'm a big fan of outfit recycling, especially since I have only a handful of 'nice' tops and two pairs of dress pants!

Agree with ash. Color usually isn't a problem. It's how under-dressed you are, obnoxious patterns, or if something really fits poorly (like, far too large or too small) that makes you stand out in a bad way. I've seen jeans at vet school interview days, both males and females busting out of their clothes, and even leggings to list of a few no-no's. However, I don't really know that any schools specifically detract from your chances for wearing questionable clothing, but it certainly can't help.

Just use common sense and make sure you are comfortable. Worrying about how you look is the last thing that needs to be on your mind that day!

Last edited:

Congrats! Where have you been accepted if you don't mind me asking? I'm interviewing at Iowa and Midwestern coming up

Congrats! Where have you been accepted if you don't mind me asking? I'm interviewing at Iowa and Midwestern coming up

I got accepted to Midwestern! My interview was on September 7th, and I just found out that I was accepted on Tuesday! :soexcited: Good luck at your upcoming interviews!!!

I wore the same outfit to every interview. lol. Black blazer, black skirt to the knee (not too short or tight), black tights, black shoes (low heels), mint green blouse.

Reactions: 2 users
I wore a bright pink shirt on my interviews.

Ladies, any thoughts on hairstyles? I have long hair and am debating on putting it up verse down. I think down it is prettier, but not sure it looks professional enough.

Ladies, any thoughts on hairstyles? I have long hair and am debating on putting it up verse down. I think down it is prettier, but not sure it looks professional enough.

I think down and up can both be professional. I think ultimately you should wear your hair however you're most comfortable :)

I agree either is fine, as long as it looks neat and you're not constantly playing with it or moving it out of your face.

I agree either is fine, as long as it looks neat and you're not constantly playing with it or moving it out of your face.

Second this opinion. Doesn't matter up or down, as long as it looks neat and doesn't somehow get in the way, like LG said.

The general rule-of-thumb for appearance for interviews is: don't stand out. It kinda is that simple. Wear neat clothes, dress professionally, have your hair look neat/appropriate, wear a scant amount of perfume/cologne (or none).

Things that will hurt you - whether unfair or not:

- Dressing to stand out - either too casual or too crazy colorful or too low-cut or too high-cut. Be modest, professional, clean.
- Garish tattoos. This one comes up every year. I very much think we are at the point where nobody judges a discreet, unoffensive tattoo in 'normal' locations. But go in there with a swastika on your forehead and yeah, you're going to be judged for it. You should have guessed that when you had it done, and if you didn't, it legitimately speaks to your judgment.
- Hair looking like you just rolled out of bed.
- Too much perfume/Cologne. Err on the side of too little. It's amazing how many people put WAY TOO MUCH scent on themselves. Really amazing. It should be subtle, not in your face. If your interviewer is backing away because of the overpowering odor, it's too much. This isn't intended to be sexist, but I am amazed how many women put far too much perfume on. Maybe that is sexist. I don't know.

Look neat and professional and let your words and smile speak for you, not your clothes or your scent.

Reactions: 2 users
Second this opinion. Doesn't matter up or down, as long as it looks neat and doesn't somehow get in the way, like LG said.

The general rule-of-thumb for appearance for interviews is: don't stand out. It kinda is that simple. Wear neat clothes, dress professionally, have your hair look neat/appropriate, wear a scant amount of perfume/cologne (or none).

Things that will hurt you - whether unfair or not:

- Dressing to stand out - either too casual or too crazy colorful or too low-cut or too high-cut. Be modest, professional, clean.
- Garish tattoos. This one comes up every year. I very much think we are at the point where nobody judges a discreet, unoffensive tattoo in 'normal' locations. But go in there with a swastika on your forehead and yeah, you're going to be judged for it. You should have guessed that when you had it done, and if you didn't, it legitimately speaks to your judgment.
- Hair looking like you just rolled out of bed.
- Too much perfume/Cologne. Err on the side of too little. It's amazing how many people put WAY TOO MUCH scent on themselves. Really amazing. It should be subtle, not in your face. If your interviewer is backing away because of the overpowering odor, it's too much. This isn't intended to be sexist, but I am amazed how many women put far too much perfume on. Maybe that is sexist. I don't know.

Look neat and professional and let your words and smile speak for you, not your clothes or your scent.
Agree with foregoing perfume altogether. It's part of a routine for many women (myself included), but scent can be a powerful tool. Even if you use it sparingly, you'd be surprised at the unpleasant reaction someone can have if they don't like your perfume altogether. I'd totally believe it if someone told me they got a really bad impression of a person because they couldn't stand their 'smell.' There are a few girls in our class that use perfume that makes my stomach turn, regardless of how much they use. While they're extremely nice, I honestly can't be around them very long and sometimes find myself avoiding them. I'm sure we all have similar examples. Scent can bring up both positive and negative memories and be a huge distraction.

Some scents also trigger migraines for me, and I imagine others, so there's that too. The last thing you want to do is make someone who is trapped in a tiny room with you for 30+ minutes very uncomfortable.

Also, LIS, probably not sexist, especially if I add in that I know plenty of guys that still don't quite understand that they don't need to go through a bottle of Axe a week. To be honest, coating yourself in cologne/perfume is something we've all done at some point :) 9th grade is probably around the time I realized a lot of my migraines seemed to occur once the boys got out of their locker room after gym class...

Last edited:
What about makeup? Obviously nothing crazy colorful or heavy, but does anyone recommend avoiding it altogether?

What about makeup? Obviously nothing crazy colorful or heavy, but does anyone recommend avoiding it altogether?
the biggest thing is that you are comfortable and confident.

if wearing make up does that? wear it.

if you feel self-conscious in make up? dont.

I just wore my typical make up (foundation, blush, mascara) just to make me look fresh and not like a zombie since I flew in late the night before the interview and had to wake up super early for the interview the next day!

That's pretty much what I noticed most of the girls wearing too!

I wore my typical foundation + powder with a bit of subtle lip color. Makeup is totally fine as long as you keep it classy and professional.

Also re: hair - I have long hair and wore mine up, mostly because I personally feel more professional, confident, and ready-to-take-on-the-world-and-get-down-to-business that way. It is as much of a mental thing for me as a professionalism thing - I even pull my hair back to study sometimes. So yep, definitely up to you. Plenty of other gals wore their hair down as well.

Thoughts on dyed hair ? I have black hair with red/magenta highlights. I get compliments on it all the time, and it definitely isn't as crazy as say, teal highlights, but I wonder if I should dye it back to black for interviews! I've never had a problem interviewing with my hair dyed before, however, I've never applied to vet school before either !!