Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a male and have an interview tomorrow, and am debating what I want to wear. I have a really nice pinstripe suit as a backup plan, but I really wanted to wear a pair of almost royalish blue pants with a gray blazer. I don't know if that would be too much, but the pants fit my personality and style. I don't know if I should go with the conservative approach with the boring suit, or wear what I had initially planned on wearing. I just don't want to lose my chance based on my outfit. Opinions?

I would go conservative, personally.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, and don't forget good-luck totems that remind you of the people who love you and have supported you in this journey.

I can see people busting out their troll dolls and luck rabbit's foot like at bingo halls :laugh:

I can see people busting out their troll dolls and luck rabbit's foot like at bingo halls :laugh:

Ahahaha! That would be hilares. "And this is Mr. Trolly, he keeps me calm in the interviews. Caaaalllmmmmm..."

I have a few little bits of jewelry and clothing and tiny things that slip into a pocket that I sometimes like to have on me when I'm going into a situation where I really have to perform. They remind me of the people who gave them to me, who support me, love me, and want the best for me. It sounds silly, but at my interviews, I felt like I went in there with an army at my back!

I do whatever it takes to keep me calm, collected, and able to see a little humor in a stressful situation. :) For me, sometimes that's purple unicorn socks under my tailored suit. They can't see them, but I know they are there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a male and have an interview tomorrow, and am debating what I want to wear. I have a really nice pinstripe suit as a backup plan, but I really wanted to wear a pair of almost royalish blue pants with a gray blazer. I don't know if that would be too much, but the pants fit my personality and style. I don't know if I should go with the conservative approach with the boring suit, or wear what I had initially planned on wearing. I just don't want to lose my chance based on my outfit. Opinions?

I guess it would be hard to say for sure without seeing the outfits, but I'm going to chime in and say go with the "boring suit." Now's the time to dress pretty conservatively and professionally--but that doesn't have to mean boring! For example, I'm wearing a leopard print shoes with my grey pant suit. Could you wear a nice colored shirt or tie? I feel like menswear has a lot of nice little details where guys get to show their personality and style a bit. Some ideas that come to mind are pocket squares, ties, bow ties, nifty shoes and belts, cuff links, patterned lining on the inside of the jacket, creative layering, glasses (if you wear them), and colorful argyle socks.

I guess it would be hard to say for sure without seeing the outfits, but I'm going to chime in and say go with the "boring suit." Now's the time to dress pretty conservatively and professionally--but that doesn't have to mean boring! For example, I'm wearing a leopard print shoes with my grey pant suit. Could you wear a nice colored shirt or tie? I feel like menswear has a lot of nice little details where guys get to show their personality and style a bit. Some ideas that come to mind are pocket squares, ties, bow ties, nifty shoes and belts, cuff links, patterned lining on the inside of the jacket, creative layering, glasses (if you wear them), and colorful argyle socks.

Thank you guys for the advice, I ended up only bringing the suit! I guess it's not terrible, and I do have a really cool tie! :D
I'm starting to get nervous for my interview, less than 12 hours away!

Thank you guys for the advice, I ended up only bringing the suit! I guess it's not terrible, and I do have a really cool tie! :D
I'm starting to get nervous for my interview, less than 12 hours away!

Good luck!!:luck:

So today I learned that I cannot wear pumps. Ever. I usually run around a size 10, but in pumps anything bigger than an 8.5 my heel flops right out of, and anything 8.5 or smaller my toes are so jammed in that I would probably crippled after ten minutes of walking. Apparently I have weird feet.

I saw so many pairs of pumps that I loved, but none of them fit right. :(

So I bought these in black for my interview. I'm not usually a fan of wedges but I thought they looked professional while still being somewhat stylish. What does everyone think? http://www.forever21.com/Mobile/Pro...le&category=shoes&ProductID=2018667240&Page=1

So today I learned that I cannot wear pumps. Ever. I usually run around a size 10, but in pumps anything bigger than an 8.5 my heel flops right out of, and anything 8.5 or smaller my toes are so jammed in that I would probably crippled after ten minutes of walking. Apparently I have weird feet.

So I bought these in black for my interview. I'm not usually a fan of wedges but I thought they looked professional while still being somewhat stylish. What does everyone think? http://www.forever21.com/Mobile/Pro...le&category=shoes&ProductID=2018667240&Page=1

I think the shoes are very cute. I have a similar issue with some pumps slipping off. I bought some heel grips in the past and they seem to help a lot to keep my heel where it should be.

I have the same problem. Was a real pain in my high school ballet days when I couldn't find pointe shoes that fit. However with pumps at least you can usually make some adjustments to make them fit a little better. I agree with macita about the heel grips. I've used them for some shoes with success in the past, but they're not perfect and often fall out after very little use. Depending on what material your shoes are made of, you can get shoe stretchers that will expand only the front part of your shoe. Works best with leather though. But no one's really going to be looking at your shoes, unless you wear rainbow striped go go boots or something. I bought some pretty frumpy looking clarks because they were super comfortable and I knew I could make it through any tour and any weather with them. I think the shoes you got are fine as long as they make you comfortable, because that's really what's most important :)

What is an appropriate interview bag? I have a lot of bags but I'm not sure which to use. It has to be fairly big because I plan on packing some things in it.

The bag I want to use is questionable to me. I FEEL like it would be fine, but I'm not sure. It happens to match my carry on :) and the pattern makes me happy.

Second, I am checking out of the hotel before my interview and am likely taking a cab to campus. What do I do with my carry on?!?!?

What is an appropriate interview bag? I have a lot of bags but I'm not sure which to use. It has to be fairly big because I plan on packing some things in it.

The bag I want to use is questionable to me. I FEEL like it would be fine, but I'm not sure. It happens to match my carry on :) and the pattern makes me happy.

Second, I am checking out of the hotel before my interview and am likely taking a cab to campus. What do I do with my carry on?!?!?

1) Unless it is some crazy wild thing, anything is appropriate. You really are not going to be judged on something like that. Chill.

2) Almost every decent hotel will let you store your bag after checking out. You can go back to the hotel after interview. Or you can take bag with you, many people do that. Either drag it around, or many schools will have a place for you to store it.

1) Unless it is some crazy wild thing, anything is appropriate. You really are not going to be judged on something like that. Chill.

2) Almost every decent hotel will let you store your bag after checking out. You can go back to the hotel after interview. Or you can take bag with you, many people do that. Either drag it around, or many schools will have a place for you to store it.

Thank you, voice of reason :)

I'm not sure if this thread is still going...

I have never in my life worn a suit, and I'm a little lost. I'd like to stand out a little and not wear a plain black suit. I found a skirt suit that I love (so weird, because I never wear skirts) but it's plaid tweed (mostly black, with some gray and subtle red, not too wild) and I'm not sure if that's formal enough for an interview. Any advice?

If that's too informal, any tips on how to make a black suit stand out in a good way? (For some reason I like black suits but feel like I'm playing dress-up in gray suits...) I've seen some people wear a small scarf or something under the suit jacket and it looked nice, but again, I don't know if that's formal enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I have never in my life worn a suit, and I'm a little lost. I'd like to stand out a little and not wear a plain black suit. I found a skirt suit that I love (so weird, because I never wear skirts) but it's plaid tweed (mostly black, with some gray and subtle red, not too wild) and I'm not sure if that's formal enough for an interview. Any advice?

If that's too informal, any tips on how to make a black suit stand out in a good way? (For some reason I like black suits but feel like I'm playing dress-up in gray suits...) I've seen some people wear a small scarf or something under the suit jacket and it looked nice, but again, I don't know if that's formal enough.

I think the skirt suit would be formal enough; I didn't wear a full-on suit to any of my interviews (just slacks and a nice top with a blazer) and I got in. I'm pretty sure I remember other people at my interviews in skirts. Just make sure you'll be warm enough at winter interviews!

You could always wear a colorful top underneath. I wore a black suit with a coral colored top. I kept my jacket buttoned but you could still see the shirt underneath and it was a nice pop of color, kept me from feeling like I was walking into my funeral. Or maybe try a colorful headband or other accessory?

There's nothing wrong with full-on formal, but I don't feel like there's anything wrong with what you described at all. You'll see a variety on interview day. I'm pretty sure nobody here in MN, at least, is judging you based on how you dress. Unless you show up in, you know, total casual - jeans and a t-shirt. Which I've seen.

But a skirt with plaid tweed? Doesn't sound bad at all.

Of course, I'm a guy. So what do I know.

I think the skirt suit would be formal enough; I didn't wear a full-on suit to any of my interviews (just slacks and a nice top with a blazer) and I got in. I'm pretty sure I remember other people at my interviews in skirts. Just make sure you'll be warm enough at winter interviews!

I just wore grey wool slacks and a purple turtleneck with a small scarf as flare. I saw everything from pantsuits to skirts with colorful tops etc. Just look nice and conduct yourself accordingly. They are looking for how well you are able to express your ideas and answer questions with the right amount of confidence, reasoning and personality. Be sure you are comfortable in what ever you choose. Nothing like wiggling around in something you don't feel right in.

I would suggest K&G Fashion store (http://www.kgstores.com) if there is one near you. They have some pretty nice stuff for cheap. That is where I got my suit from. It is kind of like a Ross/TJ Max.

Is it bad to wear some color? I don't want to just blend in with the crowd by wearing a black skirt/suit and white shirt, but I still want to look professional. There are lots of colorful blouses out there, but I'm afraid of appearing informal.

Unfortunately I have long arms, so getting a jacket that is long enough in the sleeves is huge on me. Does anyone know where I could find a nice fitted jacket? Also, if I'm interviewing in Florida, should I even bother with a jacket (I'm used to Vermont weather, so Florida seems warm to me all year round)?

Is it bad to wear some color? I don't want to just blend in with the crowd by wearing a black skirt/suit and white shirt, but I still want to look professional. There are lots of colorful blouses out there, but I'm afraid of appearing informal.

Unfortunately I have long arms, so getting a jacket that is long enough in the sleeves is huge on me. Does anyone know where I could find a nice fitted jacket? Also, if I'm interviewing in Florida, should I even bother with a jacket (I'm used to Vermont weather, so Florida seems warm to me all year round)?
I think some color is always welcome! As long as it's reserved and classy. Maybe a colorful blouse under a black/grey/navy power suit? Or a scarf? Do you watch "The Good Wife"? Diane and Alicia always wear the nicest, classiest things... :nod:

ETA: I tried on a suit yesterday and the arms were too long! hahaha (Nordstrom)

I felt the same way about wanting to stand out. So I wore a charcoal gray suit with pink pinstripes and a pink shirt under the jacket. Totally professional as it was a suit, but was much more me and I stood out compared to all of the black and navy suits. I only did in person interviews at two schools, and got into both.

Never underestimate the power of a good tailor. They can work wonders. Most Mom & Pop tailoring shops are relatively cheap too, so it may actually be more cost effective to buy a jacket that doesn't quite fit and have it tailored to your exact size, rather than spending more money, time, and energy searching for something that fits off the rack.

I ended up wearing a dark grey suit and white shirt but then wearing bright red shoes. I think that's a nice way to pop but still have it not be the first thing someone sees. I=

I would highly recommend checking some Black Friday sales for your interview suit. I went to the mall on Sunday after Black Friday and got my skirt suit for 50% off. I wore a light grey skirt suit with a lavender blouse underneath. As far as what to wear, as long as you don't stand out in a bad way (i.e. jeans and tee shirt, or in a really tight skirt with hooker heels) then you should be fine. A lot of girls I saw wore only a nice blouse, or a nice sleeveless blouse with a cardigan over it and they looked appropriately nice. One girl even wore a super cute tweed skirt suit that I loved and I saw a guy with a button up shirt covered in different freshwater fish under his suit coat. I guess all of that is to say it is totally appropriate to add personality to your interview attire :)

Is it bad to wear some color? I don't want to just blend in with the crowd by wearing a black skirt/suit and white shirt, but I still want to look professional.

No, of course not. You can wear some color and still look professional.

Just don't wear totally casual clothes. As long as you look like you care about your appearance, it will be good enough.

Honestly, though, what I usually tell people is that clothes are not an area you want to 'stand out' in. There's far too much risk in standing out that it will be a negative thing, and far too little chance it will be a positive thing. Just wear something professional and call it good. Blending in is NOT bad. Standing out is what you want to do with your interview answers.

Probably the most important thing, though (beyond making sure you're wearing <something> professional) is to wear something that you think you look good in. If it makes you feel good about yourself, it will translate to a better interview performance.

You could be bold and wear a suit in a color. Lots of people wear black suits with red tops, or at least that is what I saw a lot of. Black is safe, and they think red will make them stand out. You could find a thrift suit in a bold color and wear a neutral shirt and shoes. Anyway, if it makes you feel awkward, take it for some test drives. To the grocery store, around town, whatever.

My own attire consisted of a white shirt, purple tie, dark gray pants, and black leather shoes

I tend to run hot so I didn't wear a suit jacket and I also folded my sleeves - I figured I'd be better off a little casual than to wear the full outfit and have sweat running in rivulets down my face - plus the temperature that day was 90 degrees... I was actually the only one that didn't have a jacket on so I was a little worried, but I did fine on my interview and nobody really commented, so either they didn't care or I made more of an impression because of it. Either way I was extended an acceptance.

I have the same problem with sleeves rarely being long enough, so I wore a jacket with 3/4 length sleeves. I trialled it for several people who said it looked professional, and I got accepted. Plus, I felt comfortable--not worrying that anyone would notice and judge me that my sleeves were too short! I may be the only one who can tell, but it bothers me...

Okay makeup question:

For my everyday makeup I've done a winged black eyeliner with pale neural shadow for I don't know how long. Do you guys think it would be too much for an interview? The kind I do is something like this:
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1384635669.339319.jpg

I think you'll be fine with that...it's not overly dramatic or distracting

I think you'll be fine with that...it's not overly dramatic or distracting
Okay good, my mother was making me feel like my east coast interviewers would think I was a hussy.

Okay good, my mother was making me feel like my east coast interviewers would think I was a hussy.

Haha! I wear my makeup the same way... I think I may just tone down my eyeliner a taaaaddd bit from my everyday liner (sometimes I go a little overboard :) )

I'm having a bit of a self-debate over my nose piercing. Its a teeny-tiny diamond stud that most people don't even notice. Everyone tells me to leave it in as it's small and "cute" and gives me a "youthful edge", and I've never taken it out before (I've had it for almost 20 years), but now I don't know... Show a hole/scar in my nose? Or a teeny-tiny stud? Blarb. As long as my tattoos are covered up, right? :cool:

Haha! I wear my makeup the same way... I think I may just tone down my eyeliner a taaaaddd bit from my everyday liner (sometimes I go a little overboard :) )
I feel that too! Sometimes if I don't make the line just right I end up making it thicker than I wanted to cover up the mistakes! I'll just have to be perfect on interview mornings :)

I'm having a bit of a self-debate over my nose piercing. Its a teeny-tiny diamond stud that most people don't even notice. Everyone tells me to leave it in as it's small and "cute" and gives me a "youthful edge", and I've never taken it out before (I've had it for almost 20 years), but now I don't know... Show a hole/scar in my nose? Or a teeny-tiny stud? Blarb. As long as my tattoos are covered up, right? :cool:

Kept mine. So did classmates. No one cared. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Kept mine. So did classmates. No one cared. :)

I think I've decided that I'm taking mine out, along with my multitude of earrings (except my rook piercing because I can't take that out without some power tools, haha). I'm glad some people keep theirs in! I love love love nose studs, but my mother and sister (who is a doctor so I guess she may have some credibility here?) have been hounding me about how I can't leave it in and I know if I keep it in I will just hear their voices the day of and I will be nervous about it. But they both hate my piercings and my tattoo (wrist)...plus side, my mother bought me a super pretty watch to cover the tattoo for interviews since she was so adamant about me covering it.

I have kept my nose stud through classes, and I have every intention to keep it through clinics too. It's not very noticeable, plus it's pretty dang commonplace anymore. I really, really doubt anyone cares. Don't get rid of it just because your mother thinks you should. I don't know if vet med is more laid back than human med in this area or what, but there are a whole host of girls in my class with studs or rings in their nose and I don't think it matters at all.

For the interview, if you really want to - get a little clear acrylic stud from Hot Topic or online or wherever and just use that for the day of the interview. Dab it with foundation. If anyone can even notice it, it will look like a normal bump or mole.

Oh I definitely don't think it's a super big deal. But I'm very obsessive, so I can totally see myself just hearing my mother and sister's words repeating in my head and then regretting it if I leave it in. Which I will admit is silly, but I know myself well enough to know that it would totally happen.

Thanks for the coverage tip!

I was gonna take my nose ring out just to be on the safe side because you never know who you are gonna "offend" especially if you get some older/stuffier interviewers. My sister told me this horror story about a law school classmate not getting her dream job after wearing a colored pair of heels to an interview so Im going traditional all around. Plus my work makes me take my piercing out and my hole just closed up so I don't have an option anymore grrr. Totally getting it re-pierced as soon as i get accepted! But it sounds like no one has had an issue in the past with keeping it in...

On a random note, one of the younger surgeons that works at my hospital has a stud that she wears on a daily basis and it makes me happy that in the future no one can make me take mine out lol!

Any place that checks you off the list for wearing the wrong color of shoes is probably not a place you want to work because of the other things they would want to dictate about your life. At least in my opinion...

Reactions: 2 users
I was gonna take my nose ring out just to be on the safe side because you never know who you are gonna "offend" especially if you get some older/stuffier interviewers. My sister told me this horror story about a law school classmate not getting her dream job after wearing a colored pair of heels to an interview so Im going traditional all around. Plus my work makes me take my piercing out and my hole just closed up so I don't have an option anymore grrr. Totally getting it re-pierced as soon as i get accepted! But it sounds like no one has had an issue in the past with keeping it in...

On a random note, one of the younger surgeons that works at my hospital has a stud that she wears on a daily basis and it makes me happy that in the future no one can make me take mine out lol!

With regards to piercings and whatnot, I think times have sufficiently changed.... 10 years ago... yeah, you should remove it if you wanted to maximize your chances. Today? As long as it's "reasonable" it's not a big deal. Reasonable is probably relatively simple piercings, not a large number of them, and maybe best defined as "done for aesthetic effect" versus "done for shock value." Yeah, none of that is objective, and one person's shock is another person's aesthetic, and that's the problem/bummer. But in general, if you have an eyebrow piercing, a noise piercing, a lip piercing, and of course, earrings .... as long as they aren't overwhelming I wouldn't change them for your interview. Especially if they're important to you. "Be yourself" will help your confidence in your interview, which will lead to better results.

Obviously, it's just my opinion. But I think it's probably reasonable: I know it's how I feel, and I'm older and more likely to be grumpy about that sort of thing than someone younger. And I know our hospital director (also a middle aged conservative Minnesota type) feels the same way.

It's possible, though, that it matters where you're interviewing. Maybe down at Tennessee they would react differently. Just apply some common sense and try to keep yourself from being in the 5% zone of the bell curve or whatever.

This is ok:
H55ceQO.jpg

This is probably not:
extreme-body-piercings71.jpg

So I have a couple of short questions. Assuming I get interviews (don't want to jinx myself, but fingers crossed :)) is it better to "blend" in or stand out slightly? When I say slightly I mean being a little different, as in a different color suit. I'm not talking orange tux like in Dumb & Dumber, but more along the lines of gray or a black suit with light blue/purple shirt under.
Also what is the consensus on bow ties? I'm personally a fan, but I feel like it may not read well. To me a bow tie is fun and I would consider myself a fun and happy guy, but are interviews the right time for them?
I was talking to my friend who is in business and she fully advised against it, but that was for business and this is for vet med... 2 very different worlds haha

Thanks for the advice!

So I have a couple of short questions. Assuming I get interviews (don't want to jinx myself, but fingers crossed :)) is it better to "blend" in or stand out slightly? When I say slightly I mean being a little different, as in a different color suit. I'm not talking orange tux like in Dumb & Dumber, but more along the lines of gray or a black suit with light blue/purple shirt under.
Also what is the consensus on bow ties? I'm personally a fan, but I feel like it may not read well. To me a bow tie is fun and I would consider myself a fun and happy guy, but are interviews the right time for them?
I was talking to my friend who is in business and she fully advised against it, but that was for business and this is for vet med... 2 very different worlds haha

Thanks for the advice!
If you look at some of the posts above you may get some ideas as we were just talking about this :)

But I, personally, would advise against a bowtie :eek:

Thanks for the advice!

What you described would probably blend fine. I'd err toward blending rather than standing out. I think some guys pull off a bow tie well and most don't, but I think you can wear one if you want.

I come from the business world too. You want your application to stand out not your outfit. A lot of women's business styles are getting more colorful and moving away from traditional lines. When you leave the interview do you want them to say wow she is really well spoken or she rocked those red pumps? When in doubt go traditional. I mean I like the ankle pants with a nice blouse for the summer business casual but when you are going to interviews in the winter don't wear a suit with ankle pants you will look ridiculous. As far as blouses under jackets where one with a high enough neck that it actually looks like you have a shirt on under your jacket. I like nice button downs, I went over the top and wore a royal purple shirt for K-State, Maroon for Miss State because I already had shirts in those colors. I went steel grey for Florida because orange is halloween and I didn't have a royal blue shirt.

Also make sure that your clothes fit you, that means it doesn't hang off and doesn't pull across your stomach or chest. Your jacket must be able to close. and your pants don't rip when you sit down. Shoes should be an appropriate height for your pants. If you cant walk in heels don't wear heels your pants cover the majority of your shoes, wedges make sense. Also closed toed shoes are the best practical choice. You don't want to shuffle through snow with your cute toe nail polish.

Use common sense, as far as tattoos and piercings, remember that you are interviewing with your colleges and some of them are older and conservative. If in doubt cover it up or take it out. I know times are changing but I wouldn't higher a person with multiple facial piercings and like about you want them to remember you not those cool piercings.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok so I bought my suit, can any gals recommend a good place to buy a blouse/dress shirt for underneath? The stuff I've seen in stores are in pastels and look horrible with my skin tone..:smack: