interview before MCAT retake??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unholymosquito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just wanted some input from you good folks on SDN. I am planning on sending my primaries in tomorrow. I am planning on retaking the MCAT on July 29th. My stats are as follows:

3.36 cGPA
3.19 sGPA
26 MCAT (9-8-9)

-50 hrs shadowing a DO
-50 hrs volunteering for a Mobile Medical Clinic providing medical care in areas of need and still volunteering there. Will be volunteering there for about a year more.
-75 hrs volunteering at a Feed the children foundation warehouse thru my school
-Member of cricket club at my university for a year
-Math and Science tutor in high school and vice president of Math and Science club.
Have worked full time since 2005 in a leadership position doing weight and balance and supervising the onload of aircraft at a cargo shipping company.
My question is this: If I apply tomorrow but have an MCAT retake in late July (results out late August), will I still be able to get interview invites before that or will schools wait for my MCAT and I will be incomplete until the MCAT score is in. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what schools you are applying to but I think July is a little early for interviews/invites and maybe even some of August. I was in your position last year as well, only with a crappier MCAT than you. During my interview I told them I was re-taking it on 'X' date. I got an acceptance before I even had a chance to retake :)

Hi guys just wanted some input from you good folks on SDN. I am planning on sending my primaries in tomorrow. I am planning on retaking the MCAT on July 29th. My stats are as follows:

3.36 cGPA
3.19 sGPA
26 MCAT (9-8-9)

-50 hrs shadowing a DO
-50 hrs volunteering for a Mobile Medical Clinic providing medical care in areas of need and still volunteering there. Will be volunteering there for about a year more.
-75 hrs volunteering at a Feed the children foundation warehouse thru my school
-Member of cricket club at my university for a year
-Math and Science tutor in high school and vice president of Math and Science club.
Have worked full time since 2005 in a leadership position doing weight and balance and supervising the onload of aircraft at a cargo shipping company.
My question is this: If I apply tomorrow but have an MCAT retake in late July (results out late August), will I still be able to get interview invites before that or will schools wait for my MCAT and I will be incomplete until the MCAT score is in. Thanks in advance for your advice.

It really depends on the school. Technically your application will be complete if you have at least one MCAT score. It's up to the specific schools to see if they feel your original score is good enough to warrant an interview. I was in a similar situation as you, and was lucky enough not to have to retake my MCAT, but as MedicineMike said, even late August is still early for many schools interviews.

To answer your question, yes, you can still get an interview. Just remember, you will be receiving your score in August, and that's still early in the cycle for interviews. Many schools will probably just wait until the end of August. Your best bet is to treat the MCAT like you HAVE to score well on your retake to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medicinemike and HockeyDr thank you very much. Appreciate your input.

I am retaking my MCAT that date too! Reppin' the Underdogs :thumbup: