Interview clothes. What to/not to wear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So let's say my suit is as dark grey as the one you posted a picture of, because I think mines slightly darker than what I posted. Do you think brown shoes would go well with that or are brown shoes not really appropriate for a med school interview? Anybody?

I wore black dress shoes with my grey/charcoal suit. I don't think brown shoes would have gone well with it... your call, though.

Members don't see this ad.

You're welcome

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
the pants to my suit accidentally got washed. :/ I hope they still look okay.. I'm going to send it to the dry cleaner and hope they didn't change color/weren't ruined. My suit is a dark blue from banana republic and I have worn a light purple button up underneath. My heels are super conservative and professional.

the pants to my suit accidentally got washed. :/ I hope they still look okay.. I'm going to send it to the dry cleaner and hope they didn't change color/weren't ruined. My suit is a dark blue from banana republic and I have worn a light purple button up underneath. My heels are super conservative and professional.

Hopefully they weren't put in the dryer!!

Depends on your budget really. I'd say the least you'll spend is $200. A lot of places have good deals from time to time.

really?

My parents saying I can get a $100 suit and all those premeds that you're reading about are lazy americans that don't know how to spend their money lol

i've decided to go to LA's "fashion district" and see what's there for myself.

really?

My parents saying I can get a $100 suit and all those premeds that you're reading about are lazy americans that don't know how to spend their money lol

If you get a good enough suit, you can use it multiple times, including residency interviews many years down the road.

As far as free money from your parents, you can't argue with that.

I bought my own, though...if you work too, maybe your parents will put that $100 towards a more expensive suit, that will last you a bit longer. Or not, its up to you.

really?

Could try a second hand store. Unfortunately it will be hard to find a decent suit for $100... Can barely even get a sport jacket for $100.

You could get one on sale for $100 somewhere but it's not going to be wool...:(

I know it's not directed at me but my parents do pay for anything and I am broke so suffice it to say, I know how to effectively spend my money lol. My advice would be to take them with you or show them some websites like Men's Warehouse or Jos A Bank.

Wool is what you want. Or at least 100% whatever kind of fabric it's made out of. Wool is best, but blends of fabrics are a BAD idea. Your suit will fall apart pretty quickly.

Could try a second hand store. Unfortunately it will be hard to find a decent suit for $100... Can barely even get a sport jacket for $100.

no there are plenty of shops around LA that sell for about that much. Surprisingly, as I speak with friends they endorse what my parents are saying.

I'm looking forward to checking it out. Also been reading so i've an OK idea of what to look for in terms of quality and appearance.

i'm willing to spend more. The $100 is not my budget, just what the parents are expecting.

I'm flat broke, but luckily my sister has offered to buy me a suit + shoes. I was thinking of hitting up Nordstrom rack for my suit, anyone have any good brand recommendations? 2 button or 3 button? Color of suit will be charcoal.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

I'm flat broke, but luckily my sister has offered to buy me a suit + shoes. I was thinking of hitting up Nordstrom rack for my suit, anyone have any good brand recommendations? 2 button or 3 button? Color of suit will be charcoal.

2 button. Outside of that it depends on you.

Members don't see this ad :)
no there are plenty of shops around LA that sell for about that much. Surprisingly, as I speak with friends they endorse what my parents are saying.

I'm looking forward to checking it out. Also been reading so i've an OK idea of what to look for in terms of quality and appearance.

i'm willing to spend more. The $100 is not my budget, just what the parents are expecting.

I want to move to LA!

2 button imo. I got a charcoal Hickey Freeman from Nordstrom Rack. I know nothing about suits though.

2 button for sure. Brand doesnt matter as much as fit...some will be slim, others will be 'athletic', or boxy. I like the slim, but fit your body type.

So ladies, what hair styles are being considered??

Ok. I'm stoked! Just got these shoes tonight and they are really comfortable and I think they are pretty sharp looking. SO glad I decided to get some new shoes. I thought my old ones were pretty decent until I compared them to the new ones. Yikes!
http://m.eccousa.com/shoes/mens/dress/new-jersey-perf-tie/2839/detail.aspx?styleid=8375

Nice! I hear Ecco shoes are super comfortable. I am personally debating between ecco and cole haan right now. not gonna go with the square toe, but I gotta say u making me reconsider.

Mine will be up or partially up similar to this
Picture-1.png

dreadlocks-updo.png

As for clothing. Pant suit and flats. I can't wear heels because of my hip (see avatar) and because I'm awkward and clumsy. If I wear a dark suit I'll pop it with a colored blouse.

Nice! I hear Ecco shoes are super comfortable. I am personally debating between ecco and cole haan right now. not gonna go with the square toe, but I gotta say u making me reconsider.

Well fwiw, I was thinking either these Ecco shoes or some Johnston and Murphy ones that looked pretty similar. They were the same price and the J&M shoes had full leather interiors (sounds like a car, lol). I was leaning towards the J&M shoes over the Eccos until I tried on each pair. The Eccos were AMAZINGLY comfortable. Just go try some on. Trust me, you'll love the way you....feel. In the shoes. Lol

Well fwiw, I was thinking either these Ecco shoes or some Johnston and Murphy ones that looked pretty similar. They were the same price and the J&M shoes had full leather interiors (sounds like a car, lol). I was leaning towards the J&M shoes over the Eccos until I tried on each pair. The Eccos were AMAZINGLY comfortable. Just go try some on. Trust me, you'll love the way you....feel. In the shoes. Lol

I love my Eccos! I think my Ecco dress shoes are very similar in style to yours. They are with a doubt the most comfortable dress shoes I've ever owned. A tad on the pricey side but always a good decision. They last a long time, too.

I know it has been said before but if you care about your interview at all, wear dress shoes with dress socks! And make sure the color of the socks are black or the color of your suit. I saw somebody at an interview wearing white gym socks with top-siders. sigh......

I know it has been said before but if you care about your interview at all, wear dress shoes with dress socks! And make sure the color of the socks are black or the color of your suit. I saw somebody at an interview wearing white gym socks with top-siders. sigh......

Actually, your socks are supposed to match your shoes, not your pants.

Main point is DON'T WEAR WHITE GYM SOCKS! it's surprising the amount of ppl that do that.

Main point is DON'T WEAR WHITE GYM SOCKS! it's surprising the amount of ppl that do that.

+1.

Yeah I don't get it. Ultimately, I don't know if gym socks would really cause you to not get an acceptance, but why take the chance?

2 button. Hickey Freeman is a great brand at a good price at Nordstrom Rack if you can find a suit off the rack that fits you. Spend the extra $$$ to get it tailored. Srsly. You will look that much better and it's only a one-time cost (unless you get super fat or lose a lot of weight).

what-a-difference-a-tailored-suit-makes.jpg

75% of guys at interviews looked like on the left. Don't be drowning in your suit.

2 button. Hickey Freeman is a great brand at a good price at Nordstrom Rack if you can find a suit off the rack that fits you. Spend the extra $$$ to get it tailored. Srsly. You will look that much better and it's only a one-time cost (unless you get super fat or lose a lot of weight).

75% of guys at interviews looked like on the left. Don't be drowning in your suit.

hahahahaha got to love the guy whose suit is WAY to big (or small) on him!

Hickey Freeman ftw. Pants are too tight on the right though.

Actually, your socks are supposed to match your shoes, not your pants.

Not always, you can usually match to either. One exception is with a navy suit and black shoes, you would want black socks. Whereas if you wore navy with dark brown, you'd go for the navy shoes.

But, really...just don't wear white, or short length socks!

So ladies, what hair styles are being considered??

I think to look most professional, your hair should be up. If you hate it being up then at least get it off your face. My hair is really long so I'm probably going to tame the beast into a pony tail and do something in the front like part to the side or maybe comb it all back.
I'm thinking something like these:
http://www.poyahoho.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Kate-Beckinsales-Simple-Ponytail-Hair-Style.jpg

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/826333_f520.jpg

I think to look most professional, your hair should be up. If you hate it being up then at least get it off your face. My hair is really long so I'm probably going to tame the beast into a pony tail and do something in the front like part to the side or maybe comb it all back.
http://www.poyahoho.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Kate-Beckinsales-Simple-Ponytail-Hair-Style.jpg

I generally agree, but you have to know what you're doing. At the interview I attended last year, some of the girls with their hair up tended to look a little less professional than those with their hair down. It almost looked like they did their hair too fast (if that makes sense) but I doubt this was the case. I have really long hair too, and I'm planning on cutting it 5-6 inches (will still be long but manageable) and carrying a small brush that fits in my purse for right before an interview.

But if you are good at doing your hair, I'm sure it will look great :) I'm just not good at it.

It appears I'm out voted on the socks debate. My bad.

Hickey Freeman ftw. Pants are too tight on the right though.

I'd rather look like the guy on the right, even with too tight pants.

Also, socks match the pants :smuggrin:

I had a charcoal suit with dark grey and PURPLE argyle socks.

Had to have some fun somewhere. Everything else was all business except my socks. I had ballin' socks.

I'd rather look like the guy on the right, even with too tight pants.

Also, socks match the pants :smuggrin:

I had a charcoal suit with dark grey and PURPLE argyle socks.

Had to have some fun somewhere. Everything else was all business except my socks. I had ballin' socks.

Ah yes, the mullet socks theory: Business up top, party at the ankle...very good choice! :laugh:

I can bet that as long as socks aren't white, or too blatant, most adcoms couldn't care less. But its fun to debate anything really.

I would recommend maybe not showing as much cleavage as the second picture. Or maybe it would help in an interview....I dunno. Lol

ScreenShot2012-08-07at94919PM.png

What do you guys think of that suit? Does it look professional or does it look too hip/young?

I say that nothing matters, except how it looks on YOU. Until you have it on you, you don't know if the cut and fit is right for you.

The pic looks good, but the models are all chosen for each suits fit, so all advertised pictures look pretty good. Id say go try some on and see how they all fit you.

I would recommend maybe not showing as much cleavage as the second picture...

You shut your mouth right now...

:D

How much is a reasonable amount to spend on a suit?

I spent ~$570 on mine and that's including the tailoring. It was a $1400 suit I found at nordstrom rack.

I spent ~$570 on mine and that's including the tailoring. It was a $1400 suit I found at nordstrom rack.

GASP!!

Wish I had a "Watch out everyone! We've got a high roller over here!" meme picture to upload. Darn phone.

reasonable is $200-$400...

I also over spent on mine. But to be fair, it was my birthday. And I wanted it.

Last edited:
I spent 800 after tailoring. It was on sale at the time and was a graduation present from my parents.

GASP!!

Wish I had a "Watch out everyone! We've got a high roller over here!" meme picture to upload. Darn phone.

Straight from my MDApps:

Interview Attire: $1175
Suit = Brooks Brothers Milano Flannel Grey 42R ($550)
Tie = Navy Pindot ($21 Tiebar.com)
Shirt = Brooks Brothers White XSlim ($80)
Shoes = Allen Edmonds Park Avenue Black Captoe ($353)
Belt = Allen Edmonds Calfskin ($96.81)
Pocket Square = White Linen ($20 Kent Wang)
Garment Bag = $35 on Amazon.
Leatherbound Folder = Staples ($20)

But I'm lucky my aunt is ballin'. She paid for it all. Except my dark grey and purple argyle socks. I paid for those.

Straight from my MDApps:

But I'm lucky my aunt is ballin'. She paid for it all. Except my dark grey and purple argyle socks. I paid for those.

You went with the milano huh? What kind of body type do you have? Im about 6 foot 190 (athletic) and went with the madison. It fits pretty well.

Straight from my MDApps:

Am I supposed to bring a folder (or like someone above, a briefcase) to the interviews? I haven't even considered what I should bring to interviews except for myself in a suit and good hair/grooming! Shoot.
Any clues here people?